As a fighter, Piccolo didn't do much in canon...

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

As a fighter, Piccolo didn't do much in canon...

Post by Psajdak » Thu May 07, 2020 9:54 am

I'm talking about his most relevant fights.

- vs Goku: lost
- vs Raditz: won only thanks to Goku's sacrifice
- vs Saibaman: won, if you wanna call a Saibaman an opponent
- vs Nappa: lost by sacrificing himself to save Gohan, but it's not like he would have won anyway
- vs Bubbles: "won" (ROFL)
- VS Freeza: he had his 5 minutes with that Nail powerup, which was still nothing compared to Freeza's real power; lost
- vs Gero: I guess you could count him attacking an old man as a victory
- vs Cell (first encounter): even after his massive powerup, he let Cell go, causing so much deaths in the future, so, lost; or at best a draw
- vs 17: draw at first, but he definitely would have lost considering they were even, but 17 has infinite stamina, and his Barrier is impenetrable by anything Piccolo has
- vs Cell (second encounter): lost

I won't continue because afterwards he becomes completely useless as a fighter, no matter how much he trains later, none of that really matters against relevant opponents.

Enjoy in thread.

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: As a fighter, Piccolo didn't do much in canon...

Post by Lionel » Thu May 07, 2020 1:02 pm

Considering how straightforward the utilitarian mechanics are in this series, it doesn't surprise me. Theoretically Piccolo does have the techniques necessary to take these threats out but he neglects to use them. Why? I guess for the purposes of the narrative Toriyama is hoping to present. His counterpart, Kami, had his functional role summed up with a condescending put-down mid-way through the Cell arc. Considering how integral the Moon is to day/night cycles, durations of years because of its gravitational tug, ocean tide intensities, and weather patterns, you would think his reconstitution of it would pose a dire necessity as the world devolves into economic/civilizational/circadian pandemonium thanks to Roshi and, ironically, Piccolo's actions.

Since fighting is largely determined by one's power level and fighting is what gives substance to these characters' functionality in this series, what do you do? If some fans suggest these characters turn to other skills then I would like to see an elaboration of that. I don't see Piccolo's "intelligence" or Tenshinhan/Chaozu's agricultural skills aiding the plot all too significantly, if at all. Piccolo isn't exploiting the Mafuba nor is Chaozu psychokinetically inducing trauma to the visual cortex of a villain's brain via the optic nerve.

blacksymbiote
Beyond Newbie

Post by blacksymbiote » Sat May 09, 2020 8:14 pm

Piccolo isn't the main character. Replace Piccolo with Tien, Krillin, or Yamcha. Even Gohan could fill in and your point wouldn't alter much.

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Sat May 09, 2020 10:10 pm

The same could be said for every non-Saiyan hero fighter is the series really.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat May 09, 2020 10:15 pm

Psajdak wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:54 am- vs 17: draw at first, but he definitely would have lost considering they were even, but 17 has infinite stamina, and his Barrier is impenetrable by anything Piccolo has
That’s debatable. I believe Piccolo was playing safe and didn’t go all out against 17 since he was still learning how the cyborgs fight and he had two more to deal with besides Cell. And he had that super blast he used against Cell, which didn’t work but scared 17 and 18.

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Sun May 10, 2020 9:45 pm

Hugo Boss wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:15 pm
Psajdak wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:54 am- vs 17: draw at first, but he definitely would have lost considering they were even, but 17 has infinite stamina, and his Barrier is impenetrable by anything Piccolo has
That’s debatable. I believe Piccolo was playing safe and didn’t go all out against 17 since he was still learning how the cyborgs fight and he had two more to deal with besides Cell. And he had that super blast he used against Cell, which didn’t work but scared 17 and 18.
Its blatantly obvious that Kamicollo never stood a chance against 17. And its obvious that Piccolo was using his full power against 17 (there's no reason why he would hold back, its not his style and had no reason to do so.)

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon May 11, 2020 8:23 am

What Piccolo lacked in wins, he more than made up for in presence and development. Piccolo is the kind of character who doesn't have to do or say anything, yet just being in the area is enough to get a positive reaction out of everyone.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon May 11, 2020 3:42 pm

Sadala Elite wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:45 pm Its blatantly obvious that Kamicollo never stood a chance against 17. And its obvious that Piccolo was using his full power against 17 (there's no reason why he would hold back, its not his style and had no reason to do so.)
So obvious that he didn’t use his strongest move against 17...

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon May 11, 2020 4:13 pm

Piccolo didn't use a number of his established moves -- Antenna Beam, Eye Laser, Mafuba, Special Beam Cannon (not the most practical technique, granted), body manipulation, Zanzouken, and others.

Logically, Piccolo should have been able to compensate for the stamina dilemma by exploiting #17's relatively limited fighting style. Antenna Beam's entry in the Daizenshuu describes how it utilises electrical currents that numb the enemy's body and reduces their power level when impacted. If you combine that with a mass enhanced attack like the one Piccolo used against Krillin, it sounds like an effective combination against #17 -- especially when you consider the possibility of the infinite energy reactor short-circuiting from the electrical overflow.

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Mon May 11, 2020 5:48 pm

Hugo Boss wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:42 pm
Sadala Elite wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:45 pm Its blatantly obvious that Kamicollo never stood a chance against 17. And its obvious that Piccolo was using his full power against 17 (there's no reason why he would hold back, its not his style and had no reason to do so.)
As if 17 would just stand there and let Piccolo charge up his strongest attacks lol......

Bad argument bro.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Tue May 12, 2020 10:52 am

Sadala Elite wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:48 pm
Hugo Boss wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:42 pm
As if 17 would just stand there and let Piccolo charge up his strongest attacks lol......

Bad argument bro.
17 barely dodged it later and it wasn't aimed at him but Cell.

Piccolo would damage him a bit more or wait till he had him in a stun lock or stamina break and bust that out killing him.

He'd probably then be too wounded to kill an angry 18. She'd probably break his neck and shoot a hole in him and leave, not realising he could regenerate that we'll from just a head.

If Cell absorbs her he still gets stomped by vegeta and Trunks.

Unless Tenshinhan kills her with a kikoho as she's about to kill Piccolo...
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue May 12, 2020 2:15 pm

If the point is Piccolo didn't win much, then yes. But he has done and helped a lot. He killed Raditz, no matter how you spin it around, he killed him.
He saved Gohan vs Nappa who would later be very important in Namek, and was useful in stalling the fight until Goku showed up.
In Namek yeah, his fight was too short but he still showed up just in time to save Gohan and Krilin's life. If Krilin died too soon maybe no SS Goku?

He got too cocky vs 1st form Cell and let him escape, which was stupid. Against 17 he had his last relevant fight and it only helped Cell find them.

So he was very important to the z senshi in the saiyan and Namek arcs, but in the Android arc he ended up being more useful to Cell than to his friends lol

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Thu May 14, 2020 2:58 am

Koitsukai wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:15 pm If the point is Piccolo didn't win much, then yes. But he has done and helped a lot. He killed Raditz, no matter how you spin it around, he killed him.
He saved Gohan vs Nappa who would later be very important in Namek, and was useful in stalling the fight until Goku showed up.
In Namek yeah, his fight was too short but he still showed up just in time to save Gohan and Krilin's life. If Krilin died too soon maybe no SS Goku?

He got too cocky vs 1st form Cell and let him escape, which was stupid. Against 17 he had his last relevant fight and it only helped Cell find them.

So he was very important to the z senshi in the saiyan and Namek arcs, but in the Android arc he ended up being more useful to Cell than to his friends lol
Exactly. He was always more support than. His whole thing is utility

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sun May 17, 2020 2:03 am

Psajdak wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:54 am- vs Gero: I guess you could count him attacking an old man as a victory
To be fair, that "old man" tried killing him with the eye laser when he tried saving Goku. He also got jumped from behind and almost lost all of his energy until Gohan saved him. Lastly, #19 and #20 were the original artificial humans that Toriyama planned, so it isn't like he's just an "old man." He was a killer and the main villain of the arc until that editor called up Toriyama to complain.

Nonetheless, you legit made me giggle. So, thank you for that.