What exactly is the point of making Goku, and Vegeta even more powerful than they already are?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What exactly is the point of making Goku, and Vegeta even more powerful than they already are?

Post by Psajdak » Sat May 09, 2020 12:42 am

Like, I love seeing new forms, and tehniques as much as any other person, because, well, I like seeing new things, new flashy things, but I don't think it ever really mattered to me if Goku was stronger than before.

The way I see it, more than anything else, becoming stronger only meant putting Goku, and Vegeta in the roughly same rank as their next big opponent.
Otherwise when one looks at the way battles are visually shown, it doesn't really seem like much changed.

We are told that they can now destroy universe, or whatever, but why should that matter?
First of all, it's not like they would actually do that anyway, and second if they become so powerful even more than their opponents, is them beating the crap of their opponents really that fun?

Why not just introduce an opponent, or enemy who is around their power level?
They may be somewhat stronger, or even somewhat weaker, but don't give up, or something like that - think Goku vs Vegeta where Goku had to risk using Kaioken to let hm keep up.

blacksymbiote
Beyond Newbie

Re: What exactly is the point of making Goku, and Vegeta even more powerful than they already are?

Post by blacksymbiote » Sat May 09, 2020 8:06 pm

It's hard to build a long lasting arc around that. The point is that the next villain has to seem impossible to overcome and the stakes higher than before. What you're talking about is basically Revival of F where Goku and Vegeta just had to outlast Frieza. The arc had to extend itself by delving into training with Whis and bringing Ginyu back and it's still the shortest arc of Super.

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: What exactly is the point of making Goku, and Vegeta even more powerful than they already are?

Post by Matches Malone » Sun May 10, 2020 6:15 am

To keep DB going as long as possible. The problem is that it's hard to build tension if the villains are weaker than the heroes, or if the power scaling stops growing. I'm sure there are ways to make it work, but that'd limit how long the story can go on, which isn't good for a franchise which is intended to last until it stops making money.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun May 10, 2020 9:17 am

Mistakes were made along the way, and though Dragonball is too big to fail, the fear of possibly failing will prevent Toei from doing something far reaching, like for example, a series where Jaco conscripts Goten and Trunks to be Galactic Patrol, and having new enemies that are weaker than anything we've seen in years, but strong enough for the kids to fight.

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Sun May 10, 2020 10:40 am

FoolsGil wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:17 am Mistakes were made along the way, and though Dragonball is too big to fail, the fear of possibly failing will prevent Toei from doing something far reaching, like for example, a series where Jaco conscripts Goten and Trunks to be Galactic Patrol, and having new enemies that are weaker than anything we've seen in years, but strong enough for the kids to fight.
I'd be down for that though. I wish they'd change things up and move away from Goku and Vegeta constantly.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun May 10, 2020 10:46 am

Psajdak wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:42 am Why not just introduce an opponent, or enemy who is around their power level?
So like Super has been doing with Beerus, Hit, Zamasu, and Jiren? To the point that Goku could not defeat any of the arcs' final antagonists?