Why was Broli's strongest form in DBS movie form called Full Power Super Saiyajin?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ Expert
Not-So-Newbie

Why was Broli's strongest form in DBS movie form called Full Power Super Saiyajin?

Post by DBZ Expert » Tue May 26, 2020 11:41 pm

Why is that?

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: Why was Broli's strongest form in DBS movie form called Full Power Super Saiyajin?

Post by theherodjl » Tue May 26, 2020 11:58 pm

Because he's a Super Saiyan and his power is at it's maximum because his power is maximum.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

DBZ Expert
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Why was Broli's strongest form in DBS movie form called Full Power Super Saiyajin?

Post by DBZ Expert » Wed May 27, 2020 12:06 am

theherodjl wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:58 pm Because he's a Super Saiyan and his power is at it's maximum because his power is maximum.
I follow a theory because M8 Broli is as strong as CG FP SSjin Goku so they kept the name is non canon LSSjin is based on in terms of strength

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed May 27, 2020 12:21 am

DBZ Expert wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:06 amI follow a theory because M8 Broli is as strong as CG FP SSjin Goku so they kept the name is non canon LSSjin is based on in terms of strength
If we take the opinion of Takao Koyama, the writer of the Broly films, into account then Broly in M8 & M10 was supposedly the strongest character in the DBZ franchise prior to BOG.
Because he’s the strongest. (laughs) Even including the TV anime, nobody exists in the world who’s stronger than Broli. I mean, even Vegeta, Prince of the Saiyans, was trembling in fear. (laughs) I felt that there’s no way that kind of mightiest being would die in a single outing. After all, there were kids who cried at Broli’s overwhelming strength when they saw Burn Up!! at Shueisha’s preview screening. (laughs) It’s always difficult coming up with an enemy for Goku, because I’d constantly have to escalate their strength. So, he ended up appearing three times.
This is true of Broli as well, but Goku & co. are always fighting against “an unbeatable foe”. Goku must win against such an enemy, so he has no choice but to defeat him when his enemy becomes overconfident and creates an opening. There’s absolutely no way he’d be able to win against someone like Broli if he used more orthodox methods.7 (laughs)
In handling the scripts for the films, what I always worried about each time was the problem of what to do about the opponent Goku fights against. That’s because, at the very least, they had to be stronger than [the ones from] the previous movie.
After much hard work, I was unable to come up with an opponent stronger than Broli, and fell into a rut where I made him appear three times.
That is to say, there’s the matter of questioning the idea of Broli as the strongest. As you are well aware, vehement opinions on the subject have been flying back and forth on this message board, as well as a variety of [other] websites.
For this time, Goku’s opponent, designed by Toriyama-sensei, was even a God of Destruction.
In the world of Dragon Ball Z, that’s a setting where even Broli, before the God of Destruction, would face a gap like that between a Yokozuna and the very bottom of the sumo ranks. That Broli, reduced to a pushover.
Only, from the impression I got of the character on the screen, Broli was scarier, no contest. Am I the only one who found that Broli looked overwhelmingly frightening? Or am I just biased towards my own creation?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

DBZ Expert
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ Expert » Wed May 27, 2020 2:15 am

theherodjl wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:21 am
DBZ Expert wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:06 amI follow a theory because M8 Broli is as strong as CG FP SSjin Goku so they kept the name is non canon LSSjin is based on in terms of strength
If we take the opinion of Takao Koyama, the writer of the Broly films, into account then Broly in M8 & M10 was supposedly the strongest character in the DBZ franchise prior to BOG.
Because he’s the strongest. (laughs) Even including the TV anime, nobody exists in the world who’s stronger than Broli. I mean, even Vegeta, Prince of the Saiyans, was trembling in fear. (laughs) I felt that there’s no way that kind of mightiest being would die in a single outing. After all, there were kids who cried at Broli’s overwhelming strength when they saw Burn Up!! at Shueisha’s preview screening. (laughs) It’s always difficult coming up with an enemy for Goku, because I’d constantly have to escalate their strength. So, he ended up appearing three times.
This is true of Broli as well, but Goku & co. are always fighting against “an unbeatable foe”. Goku must win against such an enemy, so he has no choice but to defeat him when his enemy becomes overconfident and creates an opening. There’s absolutely no way he’d be able to win against someone like Broli if he used more orthodox methods.7 (laughs)
In handling the scripts for the films, what I always worried about each time was the problem of what to do about the opponent Goku fights against. That’s because, at the very least, they had to be stronger than [the ones from] the previous movie.
After much hard work, I was unable to come up with an opponent stronger than Broli, and fell into a rut where I made him appear three times.
That is to say, there’s the matter of questioning the idea of Broli as the strongest. As you are well aware, vehement opinions on the subject have been flying back and forth on this message board, as well as a variety of [other] websites.
For this time, Goku’s opponent, designed by Toriyama-sensei, was even a God of Destruction.
In the world of Dragon Ball Z, that’s a setting where even Broli, before the God of Destruction, would face a gap like that between a Yokozuna and the very bottom of the sumo ranks. That Broli, reduced to a pushover.
Only, from the impression I got of the character on the screen, Broli was scarier, no contest. Am I the only one who found that Broli looked overwhelmingly frightening? Or am I just biased towards my own creation?
He was joking

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Wed May 27, 2020 10:07 am

They certainly have difficulty in naming those forms, considering how many different Saiyan’s forms exist. I assume this name in particular is to emphasize this form is the full power of a Super Saiyan when you mix it with Great Ape traits, as you could call it once the full potential of a regular Saiyan unlocked in that animal form.

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Wed May 27, 2020 12:10 pm

DBZ Expert wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:15 am
theherodjl wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:21 am
He was joking
He was serious. He mentioned Z-Broly > every Pre-BoG character numerous times.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed May 27, 2020 12:34 pm

Here's what would've been a cooler sounding name:

Super... Saiyan...

(TFS Broly voice) MAXIMUM!!!!
Caulifla best girl! :)

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed May 27, 2020 12:56 pm

I prefer the name "Big Green", but it's taken.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed May 27, 2020 1:15 pm

Because the people coming up with these names couldn't come up with A good one to save their lives. Just look at some of the other things they've come up with.

Super Saiyan god Super Saiyan.
Super Saiyan Blue.
Super Saiyan Rose
Super Saiyan "rage"
Super Saiyan god Super Saiyan Evolution

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Wed May 27, 2020 1:38 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:15 pm Because the people coming up with these names couldn't come up with A good one to save their lives. Just look at some of the other things they've come up with.

Super Saiyan god Super Saiyan.
Super Saiyan Blue.
Super Saiyan Rose
Super Saiyan "rage"
Super Saiyan god Super Saiyan Evolution
Fair :lol:

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Wed May 27, 2020 3:07 pm

If they just called it Super Saiyan Green, what would you think?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 27, 2020 7:13 pm

Super Saiyan Green should be reserved for a normal Super Saiyan form's body type, but whatever works works.

Super Saiyan Full-Power works as a name. It's literally just Super Saiyan Broli at full-power but his hair changed color...from the intensity?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Fri May 29, 2020 6:12 pm

DBZ Expert wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:41 pm Why is that?
because it's Broly using his full power as Super Saiyan.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri May 29, 2020 7:17 pm

His form sounds a bit similar to Super Full Power Saiyan 4 state Goku had in GT, which is often called by wrong name - SSJ4 Full Power. Except for Goku his actual "SSJ4 Full Power" state would be what he achieved fighting Baby, when he simply was at his full power, while SFPS4 state was state beyond SSJ4 (the part "Super Full Power" kinda explains that). It might be the same for Broly, but there is no confirmation. So It could either mean this is highest possible power he could get as SSJ, or a state beyond its limit, kinda like Super Vegeta which was also SSJ form, but with higher power and more muscles. I mean, how is it different from LSSJ form? Why was there even such form? Broly was born as legendary super saiyan according to story, so he should simply be stronger. Why would he have a different form?
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Sat May 30, 2020 5:18 pm

What about “over super saiyajin”? I thinks it describes it better. Also, is shorter

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Sun May 31, 2020 3:41 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:17 pm Broly was born as legendary super saiyan according to story,
Not New Broly.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun May 31, 2020 4:14 pm

ankokudaishogun wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:41 pm
sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:17 pm Broly was born as legendary super saiyan according to story,
Not New Broly.
I was talking about old Broly. It's just that LSSJ shouldn't be a form to begin with and new Broly has form that is basically the same thing with different name. They didn't really improve anything here.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:22 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:14 pm
ankokudaishogun wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:41 pm
Not New Broly.
I was talking about old Broly. It's just that LSSJ shouldn't be a form to begin with and new Broly has form that is basically the same thing with different name. They didn't really improve anything here.
they might look similar but are quite different- Trunks' Grade-3 looks the same but it's a completely different thing, too.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:54 pm

One reminder:
The original Broly never actually had a form called "Legendary Super Saiyan." That's more of a retroactive name. At the time, it was just "Super Saiyan Broly", with the implication that his form was something different.

What's more, movie 8 even outright had Broly state that he reached his "full power" at the end. Ever wonder why Broly had a green tint for most of the movie? Well, no one really knows— fanon goes that the blue color of his restrained state mixed with the yellow of his Super Saiyan power to create green, but that's just a guess.
However, it does have a bit of credence because, right before Broly faces off against the enhanced Son Goku, he powers up one last time, mentioning reaching his full power— and all of a sudden, his green tint is gone. In fact, it's no longer there throughout any of his future appearances in the Classic era. His hair is solid gold in movie 10 and his bioform is also gold-haired in movie 11. The implication is that, throughout all of that battle when he beat the senshi into a bloody paste, he wasn't even using a fraction of his full power and thus had no need to throw off those final vestiges of ki limitation until he actually faced a real threat.

So for all intents and purposes, that really is Full Power Super Saiyan. The DBS movie, however, reversed it to match with the more popular iconic green color scheme he's known to have— he has golden hair in his "regular" Legendary Super Saiyan form and green hair in his Full Power form.

Why?

Marketing!!
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.