Is base Goku always with Ōzaru power after UDivineWater?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Is base Goku always with Ōzaru power after UDivineWater?

Post by pepd » Fri May 29, 2020 1:40 pm

I reread the manga recently and, if I understood correctly, it is implied that when Goku drank the Ultra Divine Water, he unlocked the Ōzaru power in base. So, do you think it was just his Ōzaru power at the time? Or is he currently always as strong as if he was in Ōzaru while in base? -The latter is now part of my headcanon-
Last edited by pepd on Sat May 30, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: Is base Goku always Ōzaru?

Post by theherodjl » Fri May 29, 2020 2:28 pm

The Daizenshuu power levels lists Goku at 180 prior to drinking the actual Divine Water and then 260 afterwards. Goku didn't even double in strength so he definitely wasn't anywhere close to his Oozaru level.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is base Goku always with Ōzaru power after UDivineWater?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat May 30, 2020 2:05 am

I think only Broly can use Oozaru power in base form.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat May 30, 2020 8:51 am

I think the intention was that, but after they introduced power levels and multipliers, the idea was discarded. But even Dragon Ball Evolution movie works with it, so yeah. This is what was implied.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Sat May 30, 2020 7:30 pm

Hugo Boss wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:51 am I think the intention was that, but after they introduced power levels and multipliers, the idea was discarded.
Wouldn't still work? it's not that he is in Ōzaru form, it's that the Ōzaru potential power passed down to the base form, he could still go SSJ over it.
Unless, of course, you are referring to the power-levels and multipliers from guides and other sources that directly contradict this.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sat May 30, 2020 11:35 pm

pepd wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:30 pm
Hugo Boss wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:51 am I think the intention was that, but after they introduced power levels and multipliers, the idea was discarded.
Wouldn't still work? it's not that he is in Ōzaru form, it's that the Ōzaru potential power passed down to the base form, he could still go SSJ over it.
Unless, of course, you are referring to the power-levels and multipliers from guides and other sources that directly contradict this.
It's the latter. As stated earlier after consuming the ultra divine water Goku only added 80 to his power level, not a propper multiplication. Oozaru is x10 not plus 80. The closest thing I see to this theory is that Goku used Oozaru's power in base when he defeated King Piccolo which is why the Oozaru appears behind him during the iconic scene.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sun May 31, 2020 12:00 am

Mad Swami wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:35 pm
pepd wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:30 pm
It's the latter. As stated earlier after consuming the ultra divine water Goku only added 80 to his power level, not a propper multiplication. Oozaru is x10 not plus 80. The closest thing I see to this theory is that Goku used Oozaru's power in base when he defeated King Piccolo which is why the Oozaru appears behind him during the iconic scene.
In fact, to add to my point, I think maybe the point of the ultra divine water is that is wasn't what truly unlocked that power. It was a similar to a placebo. It helped and drew out some of the power but not the full thing. However in the climactic battle, when Goku needed that power he was able to draw it out and defeat King Piccolo. At least he used it for one move, whether or not he has it for the rest of the series is up in the air. I'd assume not but hey maybe I'm wrong. I am not against it necessarily, I just think also Vegeta has it too. However, the major hole in the theory is the Broly movie. Paragus made a big deal about that ability and therefore so was Toriyama. They were showing something new. If Goku had already accomplished something similar and better due to his mental state, they would have addressed it.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:14 am

Karin said that everyone else who had drank the water died from it. Yajerobi tried just a drop and it almost killed him. Goku writhed in agony and it very nearly killed him. What transpired, even though it wasn't known yet at that point in the story, is that Goku had a near death experience, and therefore received a saiyan zenkai boost from recovering from near death. The Oozaru appearing behind him during his monkeyfist/dragonfist attack was symbolic of his latent power coming out in the attack. There isn't much more to read into it beyond that.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:36 am

Akira wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:14 am Karin said that everyone else who had drank the water died from it. Yajerobi tried just a drop and it almost killed him. Goku writhed in agony and it very nearly killed him. What transpired, even though it wasn't known yet at that point in the story, is that Goku had a near death experience, and therefore received a saiyan zenkai boost from recovering from near death. The Oozaru appearing behind him during his monkeyfist/dragonfist attack was symbolic of his latent power coming out in the attack. There isn't much more to read into it beyond that.
I mean he got a zenkai AS WELL sure.

But I think it'd power up regular people if they were to survive it, otherwise how would it's alledged abilities come to be known, just waiting for an alien to come and drink it, Goku could have used any household poisons lol.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:58 am

It is stated that if you can survive the water it would bring out all the latent potential in your body. Karin explains that this is the point of the magic water and the guidebooks support this. There’s no reason to believe the water would work differently with saiyans, it is magic and simply meant to bring out the latent power in whoever drinks it.

Goku’s latent power was literally his Oozaru form. That was the power he had inside him, but could only access sometimes. Not only does the Oozaru appear behind him when he kills Piccolo, but it also does right after he survives the water.

The implication at the time was that he became as strong as the giant monkey. He then continued training on top of that for the rest of his life. The power levels don’t scale linearly and none of them make sense anyway.

Broly is still special because he achieved this by himself without drinking magic water.