Was Piccolo technically still the Guardian of the Earth, after he fused/reunited with Kami, but before Dende became it?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Angelus
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Was Piccolo technically still the Guardian of the Earth, after he fused/reunited with Kami, but before Dende became it?

Post by Angelus » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:04 pm

There was a short amount of time before Dende was brought to Earth and Piccolo already had Kami fused in him

On a side note, was that why he could see (not just sense ki increases/decreases) the fight between Semi-Perfect/Perfect Cell and Vegeta/Future Trunks? He was watching the actual fight from the edge of the Lookout, something Kami is able to do. Only Kami and Korin seem to be able to do that, watch something like with their own eyes, from that far above
Last edited by Angelus on Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Was Piccolo technically still the Guardian of the Earth, after he fused/reunited with Kami, but before Dende?

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:00 pm

Piccolo was not the God of Planet Earth following that story beat. As with Nail, Piccolo was still "the base" of the Namekian assimilation with God; it's not an equal fusing like the Potara or Metamoran options. He did not have the power to make/update Dragon Balls, for example. He was just a much-stronger fighter.

That being said, he certainly retained (regained?) the memories of the prior God following the assimilation, most notable in his encounter with Kaioshin at the 25th Tenka'ichi Budokai (recognizing there was something peculiar about him, first thinking he was Dai Kaio, and then finding out he's Kaioshin).

As for why he was able to sense/see certain things, you could just attribute that to his exponentially-increased strength and other general attributes. For another good example, see Gohan during the Saiyan arc: once he honed his abilities, he was able to start tracking the fight with Yamcha and the Saibaiman, where he previously couldn't do so.

So yeah: until Dende took up the literal job of being God, Planet Earth didn't actually have one for a little bit there during the Cell arc.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Angelus
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Was Piccolo technically still the Guardian of the Earth, after he fused/reunited with Kami, but before Dende?

Post by Angelus » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:14 pm

I see! That does make a lot of sense actually, thank you :thumbup:

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Re: Was Piccolo technically still the Guardian of the Earth, after he fused/reunited with Kami, but before Dende became

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:37 pm

That's why there is that specific line saying that Earth doesn't need a God right now, implying that there won't be one anymore if they proceedand that it's okay.
And the Dragon Balls deactivate for good as well, it's basically as if God had died in exchange for Piccolo having extra strength and memories, but in no way does it transfer his status.

It's truly a sacrifice, destroying yourself to power-up another person, unlike fusion.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Was Piccolo technically still the Guardian of the Earth, after he fused/reunited with Kami, but before Dende became

Post by Peach » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:07 pm

Nope. Kami ceased to exist when he fused with Piccolo.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:17 am

To quote God himself:

"I serve as nothing more than a means to power up, and to contribute my vast wisdom."

and

"Right now what the Earth needs is not a god...but rather, the mighty.".
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:04 pm

You can also look at it another way too. There were questions in the past why Goku was the one to choose Kami's successor. The answer is simple, it was his duty to do so. Way back at the end of the 23rd Budokai, Kami chose Goku as his successor. Goku flew off with Chi-chi to get married and blew off the responsibility at the time. Nonetheless, he was Kami's chosen successor. When Kami merged with Piccolo in the Cell arc, it was Goku's responsibility to either take his place, or chose the next god of earth himself. He chose the latter, and picked Dende for the role. So, yes, for a brief time there was no one in the role, but it was Goku's responsibility to either step up or pass the torch to someone else, and he did exactly that.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..