What exactly is Kibito?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

What exactly is Kibito?

Post by Peach » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:55 am

Is he the Supreme Kai's assistant? A supreme kai himself?

They never really explained what he is in the story.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: What exactly is Kibito?

Post by DestructoDisc » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:30 pm

What Zamasu is to Gowasu I believe.

Though if you want my honest answer, Kibito was an irrelevant nobody that was only in the series because Toriyama likes introducing "Big guy and small guy that's more relevant than the bigger guy" duos.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:01 pm

He's an attendant Supreme Kai like Zamasu, although I don't believe he's also an apprentice? He's older than Shin, so he can't be training to become the next Supreme Kai of U7.

He's not a Supreme Kai though, because he doesn't wear the clothes of Supreme Kais. Attendants like Zamasu and Kibito have slightly different clothing from Supreme Kais like Gowasu and Shin.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:36 pm

He is Nappa to Shin's Vegeta.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:07 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:01 pm He's not a Supreme Kai though, because he doesn't wear the clothes of Supreme Kais. Attendants like Zamasu and Kibito have slightly different clothing from Supreme Kais like Gowasu and Shin.
Shin Kibito and Gohan wear the same clothes and colors in DB manga, and Zamasu and Gowasu also in anime, the colors only change when fusing with Black. The only one with different colors is Rō Kaiōshin (maybe because of the Witch's clothes?)

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:43 pm

pepd wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:07 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:01 pm He's not a Supreme Kai though, because he doesn't wear the clothes of Supreme Kais. Attendants like Zamasu and Kibito have slightly different clothing from Supreme Kais like Gowasu and Shin.
Shin Kibito and Gohan wear the same clothes and colors in DB manga, and Zamasu and Gowasu also in anime, the colors only change when fusing with Black. The only one with different colors is Rō Kaiōshin (maybe because of the Witch's clothes?)
The clothing of attendants is different from the clothing of Supreme Kais.

You can see that the clothing is different around the shoulder and neck. I used Shin and Zamasu as an example, but really I could've used anyone. Gohan and Kibito have the same clothing as Zamasu, which is different from Shin's or Gowasu's. It's the same thing in the manga.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:58 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:43 pm
pepd wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:07 pm Shin Kibito and Gohan wear the same clothes and colors in DB manga, and Zamasu and Gowasu also in anime, the colors only change when fusing with Black. The only one with different colors is Rō Kaiōshin (maybe because of the Witch's clothes?)
You can see that the clothing is different around the shoulder and neck.
:O You are right. I never noticed that.
Maybe just visually assumed the difference was just for the size and with that in mind missed also Zamasu/Gowasu?

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:19 pm

Kibito is of the same species as Shin but he seems to be more of a permanent attendant than a prospective apprentice like Zamasu. I imagine that in spite of his status he may still be qualified to at least function as a cardinal kai like the North Kai we're all familiar with.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:55 pm

He is Shin's assistant, like Trunks was in his future timeline. He isn't older than Shin, though, he just looks old.
So for that job you don't need to be a god, which I'm not sure Kibito is, even considering his anti-ningen rant. But if he is a god, perhaps he used to be a Kaio?

He isn't an apprentice or a master like Whis is to Beerus. It seems every deity has a companion who provides assistance to them. Whis is also Beerus' master, Zamasu was an apprentice and a butler, Trunks was more like a temporary aid and a healer, Popo serves Kami in many ways. Kaio sama seems to be the only one to get fucked here with a mute monkey in a world animals talk.

Kibito I guess is just an assistant/healer, he doesn't seem to be a butler or heading anywhere.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:59 pm

The Daizenshuu simply refers to Kibito as "an old-looking man" and that he is Shin's attendant. If I had to guess, Kibito's neither a Kaioshin or a Kaio but a magically-modified member of one of the many humanoid species that exists in U7.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:31 am

pepd wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:58 pm
pepd wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:07 pm Shin Kibito and Gohan wear the same clothes and colors in DB manga, and Zamasu and Gowasu also in anime, the colors only change when fusing with Black. The only one with different colors is Rō Kaiōshin (maybe because of the Witch's clothes?)
Maybe just visually assumed the difference was just for the size and with that in mind missed also Zamasu/Gowasu?
Yeah it's a rather minor detail, it took me a while to notice it. The writers surprisingly paid a lot of attention to this detail though. You can see that difference in clothing consistently, even for people who only appear for 10 seconds like Fuwa and his attendants.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:43 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:31 am
pepd wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:58 pm
Yeah it's a rather minor detail, it took me a while to notice it. The writers surprisingly paid a lot of attention to this detail though. You can see that difference in clothing consistently, even for people who only appear for 10 seconds like Fuwa and his attendants.
I believe I first saw TheDevilsCorpse point out the differences and I recall there being one more; the Kaioshin have a piece of clothing(belt/sash?) hanging from their backs, while attendants have it hanging from the front.
Though I think this consistency was discontinued by the Universe Survival Arc.