Ginyu - An Honorable Warrior?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Ginyu - An Honorable Warrior?

Post by JustAlex1997 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:09 pm

During Gokou's battle with Ginyu, Ginyu got the upper hand when Jheese distracted Gokou long enough for Ginyu to get him in a nelson hold. However, because it required Jheese's interference, Ginyu let Gokou go.

Do you think Ginyu has an ounce of honor? Or was it strictly to see Gokou's maximum battle power before stealing his body?

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Ginyu - An Honorable Warrior?

Post by Lionel » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:00 pm

Goku did note that one of the reasons for his choosing to spare Ginyu had to do with his claims of the captain showing fair play during their fight. In my opinion, Ginyu exhibited honourability to an extent when he felt the conditions were in his favour and the course of the fight pre-determined. Once things become unlatched from the rails and he's faced with an unpredictable outcome where he could very well lose, he resorts to more underhanded tactics in order to ensure his victory.

Honestly, you would probably have a difficult time finding a villain in this series who is consistently honourable throughout their climactic fight. Tenshinhan was one of those few but Roshi's words were already beginning to seep into his mind and make him reevaluate his priorities.

JustAlex1997
Beyond Newbie

Post by JustAlex1997 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:21 pm

Lionel wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:00 pm Goku did note that one of the reasons for his choosing to spare Ginyu had to do with his claims of the captain showing fair play during their fight. In my opinion, Ginyu exhibited honourability to an extent when he felt the conditions were in his favour and the course of the fight pre-determined. Once things become unlatched from the rails and he's faced with an unpredictable outcome where he could very well lose, he resorts to more underhanded tactics in order to ensure his victory.

Honestly, you would probably have a difficult time finding a villain in this series who is consistently honourable throughout their climactic fight. Tenshinhan was one of those few but Roshi's words were already beginning to seep into his mind and make him reevaluate his priorities.
This is all very true.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:23 pm

He steals bodies and nearly kills himself before he does it. That's not honorable.

I think the moment you're talking about is arrogance, not honor.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:26 pm

Lionel wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:00 pm Goku did note that one of the reasons for his choosing to spare Ginyu had to do with his claims of the captain showing fair play during their fight. In my opinion, Ginyu exhibited honourability to an extent when he felt the conditions were in his favour and the course of the fight pre-determined. Once things become unlatched from the rails and he's faced with an unpredictable outcome where he could very well lose, he resorts to more underhanded tactics in order to ensure his victory.

Tenshinhan took a cheap shot on Goku when Goku was talking to Master Roshi, and one of his signature moves involves blinding the opponent so that he can land a cheap shot. When he couldn’t beat Goku, he resorted to destroying the whole ring and winning just because he can fly. He wasn’t really all that honorable during that arc, he fought like an assassin.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:10 am

I think "our timeline" 17 might be most honorable, he let 18 had 1 on 1 fight with Vegeta, and even warned other "If any of you intervene, i will jump in" and later on, he fought with Piccolo solo, even after he find out he got as strong as him.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:09 pm

nickzambuto wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:26 pm

Tenshinhan took a cheap shot on Goku when Goku was talking to Master Roshi, and one of his signature moves involves blinding the opponent so that he can land a cheap shot. When he couldn’t beat Goku, he resorted to destroying the whole ring and winning just because he can fly. He wasn’t really all that honorable during that arc, he fought like an assassin.
Strangely enough, techniques that would otherwise seem to violate the conduct of traditional martial arts appear to be acceptable to an extent. We see this in actions such as Jackie Chun using a hypnotic ability and Goku himself exploiting Tenshinhan's own technique during their rematch with the Taiyoken. Hit in the anime struck specific points on Vegeta with Kyusho Jitsu that are considered off limits in real world competitions, though he did refrain from attacking the eyes or groin and I imagine he was withholding the force of his attacks as well.

I think by Dragon Ball's standards of honourability, Tenshinhan was at least better than most antagonists.