Why don't vegeta and goku wish for eternal youth?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Why don't vegeta and goku wish for eternal youth?

Post by Seekeroftruth » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:21 pm

I can get not wanting to become immortal as it would decrease their drive to become stronger and from an out of universe explanation reduce any tension from fights since they cannot die. However, the ability to stop yourself from aging and remain at the age you currently are won't have that problem and would be in line with Goku and Vegeta's goal to become stronger. To expand on this, both of them wish to get stronger but saiyans at a certain age begin to age rapidly and lose all their power, which would make all the effort they put into obtaining a given strength pointless and also put the earth at risk of possible future threats. So why not just wish for eternal youth so that you can keep the power that you have worked your life obtaining?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why don't vegeta and goku wish for eternal youth?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:37 pm

Because everyone they know and love would grow old and die while they watched?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Seekeroftruth » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:48 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:37 pm Because everyone they know and love would grow old and die while they watched?
eternal youth does not mean immortal. You can still die, you just won't age.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:20 pm

Eternal youth implies retention of bodily health and functionality of the organs. I can't see how it wouldn't act as a de facto everlasting formula. Sure -- they may not be able to regenerate and could theoretically be killed, but if their is youth and vivacity is eternalised then death by natural means would be impossible.

Something more specific like maintaining their youth until the designated time of when they're supposed to permanently die might work. Although they could wish to retain their health while aging since I doubt they would want to remain perpetually young while those around them progress into their twilight years. I think the latter would provide the ideal compromise. They would be similar to Roshi -- inevitability of dying notwithstanding -- but with the vigour and aptitude for growth like their young selves.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:29 pm

Because none of the heroes in Dragon Ball would ever stoop to using the Dragon Balls for personal gain, especially for the Saiyans, who usually resent taking any easy shortcuts to obtaining more power. Saiyans already have very long lifespans and are genetically hardwired to remain in peak, youthful fighting condition for as long as possible. They'll already outlive everyone they love, so why amplify that pain for eternity? Considering Goku and Vegeta's usage of godly ki, it's not outside the realm of possibility that their ageing has slowed even more. After Vegeta started hanging out on Earth, his desire for immortality has never really been mentioned again. In any reality, Goku would bristle at the idea of using the Dragon Balls for such a selfish, ultimately pointless wish - in GT he says that he never once thought of using the Dragon Balls for personal gain.

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Seekeroftruth » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:36 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:29 pm Because none of the heroes in Dragon Ball would ever stoop to using the Dragon Balls for personal gain, especially for the Saiyans, who usually resent taking any easy shortcuts to obtaining more power. Saiyans already have very long lifespans and are genetically hardwired to remain in peak, youthful fighting condition for as long as possible. They'll already outlive everyone they love, so why amplify that pain for eternity? Considering Goku and Vegeta's usage of godly ki, it's not outside the realm of possibility that their ageing has slowed even more. After Vegeta started hanging out on Earth, his desire for immortality has never really been mentioned again. In any reality, Goku would bristle at the idea of using the Dragon Balls for such a selfish, ultimately pointless wish - in GT he says that he never once thought of using the Dragon Balls for personal gain.
According to the Daizenshuu, Saiyan's lifespan is about the same as an average Earthling (75 to 100 years, with longer exceptions), but keep in their peak health, performance, and appearance much longer.

Goku and Vegeta age 43 and 53 yrs respectively in Moro arc.

So it's not that they have a drastically longer life, just a very long physical prime, and then a rapid degeneration once they become old enough.

Do Saiyans stay forever young?

" Saiyans are a warrior race, so their aging slows once they reach an age suitable for fighting, and they maintain great strength for a long time. However, their lifespan is not much different from Earthlings’, and when they reach a certain age, they rapidly grow frail." ~Akira Toriyama.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:02 pm

Because they live in Super status quo era where EoZ will never happen, anyway.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:28 pm

Seekeroftruth wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:36 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:29 pm Because none of the heroes in Dragon Ball would ever stoop to using the Dragon Balls for personal gain, especially for the Saiyans, who usually resent taking any easy shortcuts to obtaining more power. Saiyans already have very long lifespans and are genetically hardwired to remain in peak, youthful fighting condition for as long as possible. They'll already outlive everyone they love, so why amplify that pain for eternity? Considering Goku and Vegeta's usage of godly ki, it's not outside the realm of possibility that their ageing has slowed even more. After Vegeta started hanging out on Earth, his desire for immortality has never really been mentioned again. In any reality, Goku would bristle at the idea of using the Dragon Balls for such a selfish, ultimately pointless wish - in GT he says that he never once thought of using the Dragon Balls for personal gain.
According to the Daizenshuu, Saiyan's lifespan is about the same as an average Earthling (75 to 100 years, with longer exceptions), but keep in their peak health, performance, and appearance much longer.

Goku and Vegeta age 43 and 53 yrs respectively in Moro arc.

So it's not that they have a drastically longer life, just a very long physical prime, and then a rapid degeneration once they become old enough.

Do Saiyans stay forever young?

" Saiyans are a warrior race, so their aging slows once they reach an age suitable for fighting, and they maintain great strength for a long time. However, their lifespan is not much different from Earthlings’, and when they reach a certain age, they rapidly grow frail." ~Akira Toriyama.
Ah, I see. I always thought Saiyans have the potential to live for much longer but usually tend to die in battle young. I think New Paragus might be the only Saiyan we know who looks truly old, but even then, he's fairly spry for 80+ years old, especially considering his horrendous lifestyle on Vampa.

Even still, I'd consider it out-of-character for Goku and Vegeta to seek eternal youth on top of their naturally prolonged youth.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:20 am

They age slowly, so it doesn't really matter.

But that's a wish maybe Bulma should have done.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

UI Peter
Banned Alternate Account

Post by UI Peter » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:56 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:37 pm Because everyone they know and love would grow old and die while they watched?
Bingo

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:47 am

I always assumed that the saiyans hated abusing the powers of the Gods, and would instead prefer to grow stronger naturally. Vegeta seemed to take pride in the fact that Goku mastered Ultra Instinct and "stepped above the level of the Gods", so I imagine that them using God artifacts to grow stronger would be hypocritical. Even if eternal youth didn't make them automatically stronger it would still be a natural advantage over the other mortals, and the saiyans are too prideful and stubborn for that.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:27 pm

Seekeroftruth wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:36 pmGoku and Vegeta age 43 and 53 yrs respectively in Moro arc.
Vegeta is 48 years old, arguably. He was born in AGE 732 (according to guidebooks).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:22 am

Grimlock wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:27 pm
Seekeroftruth wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:36 pmGoku and Vegeta age 43 and 53 yrs respectively in Moro arc.
Vegeta is 48 years old, arguably. He was born in AGE 732 (according to guidebooks).
Wouldn't you have to add the 6(ish) years he's spent in the Room of Spirit and Time to that, though? He doesn't have the benefit of spending several years not ageing in the Afterlife to counterbalance that, like Goku does.

DevilKing99
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DevilKing99 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:43 am

They could easily write in that becoming an SSJ makes Saiyans live for 1000000 years, Roshi is over 300 years old and all he had to was drink some special water on earth.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:14 am

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:22 amWouldn't you have to add the 6(ish) years he's spent in the Room of Spirit and Time to that, though?
I don't think so, it's more like extra information, and to me, a minor detail. The manga also doesn't take it consideration, otherwise Gohan wouldn't be sixteen (turning seventeen) by the time Majin Buu saga happens.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Seekeroftruth » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:25 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:22 am
Grimlock wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:27 pm
Wouldn't you have to add the 6(ish) years he's spent in the Room of Spirit and Time to that, though? He doesn't have the benefit of spending several years not ageing in the Afterlife to counterbalance that, like Goku does.

Yes you would. The ROSAT clearly ages you as evident by gohan being older than when he went in and trunks hair growing. Vegeta is physically 53 yrs old due to the rosat trips but is 48 yrs old with reference to his birthday.

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Seekeroftruth » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:04 pm

DevilKing99 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:43 am They could easily write in that becoming an SSJ makes Saiyans live for 1000000 years, Roshi is over 300 years old and all he had to was drink some special water on earth.
According to DB Super it has not changed. Life expectancy for saiyans is about the same as a human. As goku states here, they keep their youth until about 80 then the rapidly age as we see with paragus. I imagine it would be similar to how goku changed rapidly to his adult form during the 3 years between 22nd and 23rd budokai.

https://youtu.be/c5nUgxHQlCM

Basically around 80 yrs, Goku and vegeta will rapidly go from looking something like this

To this

And rapidly lose strength

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:53 am

As others have pointed out, these 2 are pure-blooded Saiyans and as stubborn as they come.

They don't like outside help in achieving greater heights whenever possible, and they don't like making wishes that makes their training easier; they just don't like taking the easy road if circumstances don't call for it.

Their pride means they'll go to the grave happy that they didn't accept help in becoming as strong as they possibly could.

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Seekeroftruth » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:32 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:53 am As others have pointed out, these 2 are pure-blooded Saiyans and as stubborn as they come.

They don't like outside help in achieving greater heights whenever possible, and they don't like making wishes that makes their training easier; they just don't like taking the easy road if circumstances don't call for it.

Their pride means they'll go to the grave happy that they didn't accept help in becoming as strong as they possibly could.
Well

1. Eternal youth won't make their training easier, just make it so that they don't lose the gains they work hard in achieving.

2. Goku has accepted help and training from multiple masters and continue to take training tips from Whis which goes against the saiyans not wanting help. Vegeta in super has even accepted his own limitation and now seeks advice from others for training.

3. The saiyans don't like fighting as a team and prefer to fight 1 on 1 in a fair fight. This is more in keeping with their pride and why they dislike fusion.They want to test their own strength.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:46 pm

Still, they never really use Dragon Balls for wishes for themselves, and they only undertake training techniques and methods.

Eternal youth isn't necessary; they don't seem to want to live forever, they just want to train as hard as they can and become as strong as possible.