My apologies, Toyotaro

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MechaTrunks
Beyond Newbie

My apologies, Toyotaro

Post by MechaTrunks » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:16 am

I've been fairly critic to Toyotaro's fanservice in this last saga of the DBS manga, mostly when it came to Moro and how all the Z-fighters survived his attacks despite the disparity between their powers.
But re-reading Chapter 62, I've paid more attention to what was said and Moro stated there that he is not killing anyone on purpose, as he plans to eat them once they're defeated.

So yep, that alone fixes my main problem with the power scaling of this saga, which I thought was broken and resembled more the first DB sagas than the perfection achieved during the "Z" part when it came to that (still not at "Z" levels of perfection in my opinion, but much closer to that than I thought).

Toyotaro has proven to be a worthy successor of Toriyama (even if that's because Toriyama supervises him). Maybe it still hasn't achived the depth he managed when he really went for it (the Cell saga is one of the most brilliantly convoluted plots involving a time machine that I've read, and he made it work better than in most other fictions) but he's better when it comes to that more "sentimentalistic" approach modern shounens like to include since One Piece (scenes like Vegeta telling Trunks to heal Goku instead of him were pure Gold).

There is still a tad more of fanservice that I would like, but nothing to the point where it destroys the series. And everytime I think he's made a big mistake he "fixes" it when all it's said and done (like when Piccolo was suddenly able to tell that SSJB Goku was stronger, which was retconned a chapter later to be just Piccolo's impression but nothing he could be sure of).

All in all, the DBS manga is a worthy successor of the DBZ one, and much better than anything Toei's writters could ever hope to do (except for that day in the year when they actually become good and write chapters like DBS 94 & 95 which are pure gold).

Regards!

Edit: ooops. this should better go to the DBS subforum. Please mods can you close this? Sorry T_T