How did Freeza last against SS Goku on Namek for so long when he was outclassed?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mike XL

Re: How did Freeza last against SS Goku on Namek for so long when he was outclassed?

Post by Mike XL » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:01 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:41 pm
ankokudaishogun wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:43 pm
Mike XL wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:18 pm which is supposed to erase you from existence
I've seen this, and "destroys your soul" statements many times, but I don't remember them in the anime or manga.

May I ask for source?
In the anime, when Beerus uses the Hakai on Zamasu, he says he won't go to the afterlife and that he was erased from existence. When Sidra gives the Hakai Energy to the assassin leader, he tells him that using it on Freeza will prevent him from going to the afterlife and that he'll cease to exist.
This.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: How did Freeza last against SS Goku on Namek for so long when he was outclassed?

Post by BWri » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:24 pm

Lionel wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:42 am To be honest, I suspect Toriyama may have not been keeping in mind the physics of Dragon Ball's power model when he wrote for that battle. You could reverse the roles and ask why untransformed Goku was able to survive the first strike against Freeza using 50% of his power instead of being torn apart from the slightest contact. Freeza was beginning to show a degree of seriousness with his attacks and remarked about Goku's ability to survive. I think there's enduring greater amounts of punishment because you're a member of a galaxy renowned warrior species and then there's enduring attacks from an enemy who should be outside your dimension, so to speak.

Toriyama had a plot line he wished to draw out and so he did. Certain details or conditions may be overlooked for him to get the scene he wants.
Yeah, it's another reason why I don't treat the Daiz power level guide as a bible. There are too many contradictions like this one. I always thought that.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:24 am

BWri wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:24 pm
Lionel wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:42 am To be honest, I suspect Toriyama may have not been keeping in mind the physics of Dragon Ball's power model when he wrote for that battle. You could reverse the roles and ask why untransformed Goku was able to survive the first strike against Freeza using 50% of his power instead of being torn apart from the slightest contact. Freeza was beginning to show a degree of seriousness with his attacks and remarked about Goku's ability to survive. I think there's enduring greater amounts of punishment because you're a member of a galaxy renowned warrior species and then there's enduring attacks from an enemy who should be outside your dimension, so to speak.

Toriyama had a plot line he wished to draw out and so he did. Certain details or conditions may be overlooked for him to get the scene he wants.
Yeah, it's another reason why I don't treat the Daiz power level guide as a bible. There are too many contradictions like this one. I always thought that.
Goku was fighting in Kaiokenx10 at that point.

despayeeto593

Post by despayeeto593 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:54 pm

I like to think it was because Goku wasn't fully adapted to his new power. He'd never had this level of power up to this point, and couldn't use it as effectively as he could later on in the series. Somewhat similar to when he first gained Super Saiyan God, but to a lesser extent.