Tree of Might/Turles Crusher Corps.

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gunther0587

Tree of Might/Turles Crusher Corps.

Post by gunther0587 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:45 pm

First of all thank you for approving my request to join, for my first post I wanted to make it a more nostalgic one. I remember first being introduced to the Dragon Ball Universe in my early teen years and I was immediately hooked. Cartoon Network/Toonami was the place for me to go after school or on the weekends and with Dragon Ball Z especially during the Saiyan Sagas it was like if you couldn't tune in for one episode you knew you were going to miss something. And without Cartoon Network/Toonami I wouldn't have even known that the movies even existed until later on down the road as well. One of my favorite experiences there was tuning into Cartoon Network/Toonami in time for the Tree of Might Ocean Dub, I had no idea what to expect but I immediately knew I was in for something special.

As it would turn out, Tree of Might would end up becoming one of my favorite Dragon Ball Universe movies of all time for multiple reasons. For one thing, the premise was original and the darker tone of the movie made it all the more interesting for me well. But ultimately it was the antagonists of the film that would leave me with questions for years to come and wouldnend up becoming one of my favorite factions at the same time, I'll get to that. At the time I thought they were all initially a group of soldiers of the Planet Trade Organization who had defected going by what they were wearing as well as their scouters but it wasn't until later on that I would come to find out more about them thanks to the internet.

Given the teenage rebellious phase I was going through at the time as well as personal experiences, any and all things anti-authority appealed to me. And the Turles Crusher Corps. ended up being no exception. When the internet really started expanding and I was able to find out more about their back stories, I noticed somewhat of a pattern with all of the members. For one thing, Amond being an intergalactic criminal (whose crimes aren't really elaborated upon) and being arrested and imprisoned by the Intergalactic Police before Turles attacked the planet he was imprisoned on and helped him escape. Cacao being a battle cyborg built to fight in an interstellar (whether it was against his will or not is left ambiguous as well) but ultimately being left directionless afterwards, possibly left disillusioned by his own experiences there. The backstory behind Rezin and Lakesei is interesting to say the least, supposedly being revived from fossils by Turles using extract from the fruit of the Tree of Might, I can only imagine that their personalities were the same in the past life. But the backstory for Daiz is what had me scratching my head most of all. If he was supposedly a prince and had battled against Turles prior to hooking up with him as well, one would think that Turles slaughtering his people as well as his family if anything would give him reason to HATE Turles more than anything and would make him the one most likely to double-cross Turles/try and usurp power from him. But in the end he ultimately seems happy and content with his lot in life working with Turles. Going his design, namely his punk rockesque hairstyle as well as what he's wearing, he definitely comes across like the rebellious type so I can only wonder if he was the black sheep of the family as well as his race and that Turles ultimate did him a favor there.

But it was the backstory of Turles that drove home the point most of all for me. Being a Saiyan and all, I had a feeling that he was involved in the Planet Trade Organization in some way shape or form. But I always got the vibe that he was the anti-authority type, which was later confirmed in expansions of the universe which disclosed that he was an insubordinate soldier in the Saiyan Army before defecting and discovering the Tree of Might. But in any event, in the end I got the feeling that there was mutual sense of comradery amongst all of the members because of that. Motives aside, to me they just came across as group of guys that believed in freedom and wanted to live life on their own terms and that was something I could sympathize and relate to to a certain extent. In the end I blame their utilization as well as any inconsistencies on creativity or lack thereof, which hasn't been exactly unheard of in the Dragon Ball Universe (just ask Raditz), but like the saying goes hindsight is 20/20.