Was Future Trunks: Super Saiyan God a missed opportunity?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBFanTalk

Was Future Trunks: Super Saiyan God a missed opportunity?

Post by DBFanTalk » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:43 pm

Dragon Ball Super revealed, upon Future Trunks' reintroduction, that he had become an apprentice to the Supreme Kai. The manga explored this by the exposition that he underwent a ritual. At best this acted as a plot device for the character's newfound healing powers. However, this minor and overlooked detail could have added potential lore-building.

Future Trunks' undergoing a ritual to become a Supreme Kai apprentice sets up the opportunity for him to recieve god ki, in addition to healing powers and possibly the Kai-Kai technique. What if the apprentice-ritual bestowed Future Trunks with god ki, effectively making him an artificial Kibito/Core Person? What if the apprentice-ritual indirectly acted as a shortcut/variant for the Super Saiyan God ritual?

Did the series just miss an opportunity by not giving Future Trunks Super Saiyan God?

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Re: Was Future Trunks: Super Saiyan God a missed opportunity?

Post by JewyB » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:49 pm

I'd rather they didn't because in Heroes he just looks silly.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:03 pm

Doesn't really appear like Kami received god ki when he took on his position in the original Dragon Ball. I could be wrong and frankly I hope I am because it would go a long way to explaining how he wound up being so much more powerful than his evil counterpart -- despite his advanced age compared with Daimou's once the latter used the Dragon Balls.

I wouldn't expect Trunks to receive god ki unless him becoming a Kaioshin apprentice bestows it unlike that of Kami's position. If he wanted to receive the transformation then what was stopping Goku from bringing everyone together to perform the ritual? It would have been easy enough.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:07 am

I personally don't like the idea, it might have been...sorta cool? But story wise it makes no sense, there weren't 6 Saiyan's in the future capable of lending Trunks the energy he needed when Goku Black and Zamasu beat him down after taking care of Son Goku and Vegeta.

Even in the present, I don't think it's Toriyama like.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:05 pm

Maybe, because he could have used it against Zamasu as thematically an idea that a mortal can assume divinity.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:45 pm

No, just like I'm glad nobody outside of Goku/Gotenks ever went SSJ3, I'm glad most of the other characters aren't going God or Blue either.

Same for Gohan. Keep him as is, and Trunks/Goten if they ever fight again. Not every character has to go through the same Super Saiyan stages.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:51 am

I wish he got at least SS3, which would be stronger than Goku and hypothetically Vegetas due to his hybridness.

This would at least explain why he's strong enough not to get speedblitzed by Black when shit gets serious.

It was too soon after his reintroduction to get to godly levels without training for it imo despite being a prodigy.

I wouldn't want to see him bought back to immediately skip two levels.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:55 am

Either that or Ssj3 would've been far better than...whatever it is he ended up getting.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:36 am

Is "god ki" even accessible to Kaioshin of that level in Universe 6? No one even knew about it until Beerus, and I'm sure he would have mentioned something about it (as well as SSJ God itself) during the Buu conflict if he did. Piccolo was able to sense East Kaioshin's ki during the Tenkaichi Budokai, something a mortal should not be able to do for someone with actual god ki.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:33 am

Big time. I don't get why he didn't receive god ki and the arc didn't become Vegeta teaching him to control it. Like they have enough Saiyans. I get they want to make the God forms unique to Goku and Vegeta, but just have Trunks use the red form. Hell have him like build off of it and make his own or something. Maybe he makes it orange due to some hybrid shinanigans. I don't care about Super Saiyan but better.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:39 am

Mad Swami wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:33 am Big time. I don't get why he didn't receive god ki and the arc didn't become Vegeta teaching him to control it. Like they have enough Saiyans. I get they want to make the God forms unique to Goku and Vegeta, but just have Trunks use the red form. Hell have him like build off of it and make his own or something. Maybe he makes it orange due to some hybrid shinanigans. I don't care about Super Saiyan but better.
I also thought it was a missed opportunity. It's even worse that his strange new form was entirely based on rage instead of being a mutation of a god form, because artistically, it very much so looked like a mutation of a god form. Not to mention Vegeta literally showing him SSB and training with him in the form. I was calling him a Demi-God Saiyan for a time until the official Super Saiyan Ikari moniker was unveiled.

I think him unveiling SSG and using it in the final battle with Zamasu along with a flaming sword made of SSG ki would have been a better moment than the Spirit Bomb sword made from the pitiful remnants of the future who get wiped out and erased from existence an episode later.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:35 pm

In a sense, yeah, it would have been the most logical way to keep him relevant and in hindsight it's rather baffling that they never thought of it. Simply get Goku, Vegeta, Present Trunks, Goten and either Gohan or Pan (considering that Trunks purposefully keeps Gohan out of the loop, probably Pan) to perform the ritual, and bish-bash-bosh, Future Trunks can now keep up with his dad and there's no need for that ridiculous Rage transformation later. They might have decided against it because they were still unsure of exactly how Super Saiyan God worked as a transformation and were pretty much trying to push it under the rug to avoid answering those questions. After Toyotaro brought it back for Vegeta, it suddenly became fair game for Toei again.

However, Super Saiyan God Trunks from Heroes ended up looking less than pleasant so it's a double-edged sword. Though there was no need to give him the full curtain haircut, if they kept him with his usual undercut it probably would've looked fine.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:54 pm

Had to look up SSG Trunks.

...Yeah. That did not turn out well. If it was his normal bowl cut, I think it may work better. But not...that. And I say that as a huge fan of Future Trunks.

Mac
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mac » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:58 pm

As one of the few people that loved the look of SSJG Trunks, I'd say absolutely.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:47 pm

Looking back, I'm starting to understand why Trunks wasn't given any (explicitly) godly power-ups. Throughout the arc, he's always on the edge of survival and barely scrapes by against Goku Black, who totally outclasses him in every way, yet he still shows great courage in standing up to the maniac. In short, he needs to be the underdog hero of the arc. That said, I think his training under Future Shin and Vegeta would have given him more control over Super Saiyan God if he had the chance to do the ritual, unlike Goku who could barely maintain it the first time.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:12 am

Nah. I like that he was able to become more powerful than Goku and Vegeta, along with defeating Zamasu, through the shear strength of his Super Saiyan 2 alone.

.....Too bad Gohan wasn't like that.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:32 am

Yes, big time. He should be SSJG instead of that SSJRage thing (stupid name and to this day we have no idea wtf is this thing). If they wanted him to still be relevant in the fights, SSJG ritual should be the first thing to do.

His stronger SSJ2 was cool and it's a good thing. But missing on SSJG ritual is a big mistake.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:16 am

I think it would be cool if he got that form in the manga, but not in the anime.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:05 pm

What exactly was that "opportunity"? I mean, Trunks would fail to defend his Timeline anyway, so how exactly would him getting this form instead of Rage change anything? :think:

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:47 pm

It would change everything. Him being stronger than Goku/Vegeta's SSJ2 means that he as SSJG would be stronger than Goku/Vegeta's SSJG which means he would put a better, maybe more meaningfull fight against Black (Trunks as SSJG could be as strong as Goku/Vegeta's SSJB). And we as a readers/watchers wouldn't have to worry about "what the fuck is this form" just like with Rage (to this day it's "wtf").

And it would piss off Zamasu even more that his biggest enemy, mortal Trunks, is using godly powers. It would be better story telling: a god tries to kill innocent people and he must fight a mortal who attains godly powers.

But no, let's give some asspull powerup that every fan is going to hate. Seems like a good idea *Toriyama and Toei highfive*.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.