Was Future Trunks: Super Saiyan God a missed opportunity?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Was Future Trunks: Super Saiyan God a missed opportunity?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:01 pm

Trouser wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:47 pm It would change everything. Him being stronger than Goku/Vegeta's SSJ2 means that he as SSJG would be stronger than Goku/Vegeta's SSJG which means he would put a better, maybe more meaningfull fight against Black (Trunks as SSJG could be as strong as Goku/Vegeta's SSJB). And we as a readers/watchers wouldn't have to worry about "what the fuck is this form" just like with Rage (to this day it's "wtf").

And it would piss off Zamasu even more that his biggest enemy, mortal Trunks, is using godly powers. It would be better story telling: a god tries to kill innocent people and he must fight a mortal who attains godly powers.

But no, let's give some asspull powerup that every fan is going to hate. Seems like a good idea *Toriyama and Toei highfive*.
This changes absolutely nothing about the outcome of the arc though.

In the end he'd still become a refugee in another timeline after failing to protect everything and everyone he loved :think:

Plus since Super Saiyan Rage seems to have incorporated some of Blue's ki/aura into it, it would seem to be a better power-up than an inferior God form.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:03 pm

I still laugh at Trunsk becoming an apprentice Kaioshin.

They never even say why he did it. He spent an entire day doing nothing for no reason, while Babidi was planning to invade/was invading Earth.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:43 pm

Naw, I lile Super Saiyan Ikari as a form. In fact, I would have loved to see a further evolution for his final showdown in Episode #66. Maybe a Super Saiyan Kidou/Hope? Something mutated from collecting the hope of his timeline?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:52 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:01 pm This changes absolutely nothing about the outcome of the arc though.

In the end he'd still become a refugee in another timeline after failing to protect everything and everyone he loved :think:

Plus since Super Saiyan Rage seems to have incorporated some of Blue's ki/aura into it, it would seem to be a better power-up than an inferior God form.
Well, then what is the point of doing a story with interesting things and concepts when at the end nothing matters? Why write a story at all? Rage is the perfect example of people doing something that they don't care about. It's like "it's Dragon Ball, let's make him cry and scream and let's give him an asspull power-up that we will never talk about again". Trunks SSJG opens a whole new world of posibilities that Rage would never even dream of.

And no, Rage has nothing to do with Blue. BluRays changed blue aura to white aura. Besides, it was never stated that it has anything to do with Blue's ki. No one knows what Rage is, 'cos creators just don't care.

But it is what it is and we can't change anything.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:11 am

Trouser wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:52 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:01 pm This changes absolutely nothing about the outcome of the arc though.

Well, then what is the point of doing a story with interesting things and concepts when at the end nothing matters? Why write a story at all? Rage is the perfect example of people doing something that they don't care about. It's like "it's Dragon Ball, let's make him cry and scream and let's give him an asspull power-up that we will never talk about again". Trunks SSJG opens a whole new world of posibilities that Rage would never even dream of.

And no, Rage has nothing to do with Blue. BluRays changed blue aura to white aura. Besides, it was never stated that it has anything to do with Blue's ki. No one knows what Rage is, 'cos creators just don't care.

But it is what it is and we can't change anything.
Did it? Do you have a pic to show me? :think:

But what are all those possibilities Super Saiyan God could have opened for Trunks? Keeping in mind that Trunks would fail anyway because that was the ending Toriyama decided, naturally.