Since Goku and Bardock both fought in space, can Saiyans survive upper atmosphere?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Re: Since Goku and Bardock both fought in space, can Saiyans survive upper atmosphere?

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:51 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:58 pmPlease direct me to the Daizenshuu article where it talks about the ability for saiyans to breathe ozone. In extremely low pressures where lungs literally can't function.

I'll wait.
What are you even talking about? Saiyans are not human. They are a fictional race in a fictional franchise. They are able to do whatever Toriyama decides they can do. Same for their limitations. And as of now, his works have established that they can endure their planet's upper atmosphere. Which is not space.

precita
Banned

Re: Since Goku and Bardock both fought in space, can Saiyans survive upper atmosphere?

Post by precita » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:20 pm

Also not sure if people want to count it, but Pan as a baby no less flew into the same upper atmosphere/space in one of the filler episodes between the Universe 6 tournament and the Goku Black arc. Granted she also had Pilaf and co. somehow hanging onto her and breathing too...so I dunno if it should be counted.

I mean, are Super's fillers "canon" in a sense? I know people tend to ignore or overlook the events of fillers in DBZ, but since Super had no manga it was adapting from, I'm not sure how people view Super's fillers in the grand scheme of things.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:51 am

Luso Saiyan wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:51 pm They are able to do whatever Toriyama decides they can do.
That's literally what I just said.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:08 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:51 amThat's literally what I just said.
No, it isn't literally what you just said. You said "it's just some Toriyama bullshit", a nonsensical reductive statement implying some incoherence or inconsistency on his part when there's nothing of the sort. You brought up human limitations when nobody is talking about human beings to begin with. It's a non sequitur.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:22 am

Luso Saiyan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:08 am No, it isn't literally what you just said. You said "it's just some Toriyama bullshit", a nonsensical reductive statement implying some incoherence or inconsistency on his part when there's nothing of the sort. You brought up human limitations when nobody is talking about human beings to begin with. It's a non sequitur.
"Saiyans can't breathe in space" and "saiyans can breathe where there's no free oxygen or air pressure to actually allow the diaphragm to function" is a contradiction. Nevermind the fact that in Super we have direct evidence of Vegeta's power being hampered by environmental conditions, yet Goku and Bardock are completely unhindered by -130°F temperatures.
Special Beam Cannon!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:01 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:22 am
Luso Saiyan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:08 am No, it isn't literally what you just said. You said "it's just some Toriyama bullshit", a nonsensical reductive statement implying some incoherence or inconsistency on his part when there's nothing of the sort. You brought up human limitations when nobody is talking about human beings to begin with. It's a non sequitur.
"Saiyans can't breathe in space" and "saiyans can breathe where there's no free oxygen or air pressure to actually allow the diaphragm to function" is a contradiction. Nevermind the fact that in Super we have direct evidence of Vegeta's power being hampered by environmental conditions, yet Goku and Bardock are completely unhindered by -130°F temperatures.
Thinner air means that heat conducts slower so they would retain their body temperature longer. Besides we see what kind of immense heat that ki can generate (look at Super Broly where they turn an Arctic wasteland into a burning field of lava in a few seconds).
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:40 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:01 pmThinner air means that heat conducts slower so they would retain their body temperature longer.
First of all, no.
Besides we see what kind of immense heat that ki can generate (look at Super Broly where they turn an Arctic wasteland into a burning field of lava in a few seconds).
Second of all, the argument is about how Toriyama does whatever he wants. Saiyans have been immersed in lava multiple times and have come out without a literal scratch yet Vegeta is bogged down by steam.

I actually can't even believe I'm still responding to this.
Special Beam Cannon!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:29 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:40 pm
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:01 pmThinner air means that heat conducts slower so they would retain their body temperature longer.
First of all, no.
That doesn't contradict anything I said. If 35% of body heat is lost through conduction, then being in the stratosphere would slow down the heat loss a lot.
Second of all, the argument is about how Toriyama does whatever he wants. Saiyans have been immersed in lava multiple times and have come out without a literal scratch yet Vegeta is bogged down by steam.

I actually can't even believe I'm still responding to this.
I don't recall anyone being 'immersed in lava' without a ki shield or something similar.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:43 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:22 am"Saiyans can't breathe in space" and "saiyans can breathe where there's no free oxygen or air pressure to actually allow the diaphragm to function" is a contradiction.
Again, what are you even arguing about? Upper atmosphere is not space and vice versa. Saiyans can survive in the upper atmosphere. That's it, there's no contradiction. A contradiction is to imply they are the same.

Arguing over the content of the atmosphere or Saiyan biology which were never established in this fictional setting is completely irrelevant.
Cursed Lemon wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:22 amNevermind the fact that in Super we have direct evidence of Vegeta's power being hampered by environmental conditions, yet Goku and Bardock are completely unhindered by -130°F temperatures.
"Completely unhindered"?! You have no evidence of the level of hindrance or lack thereof of Goku and Bardock to make that claim.

The fact remains that they can endure in the upper atmosphere, which is not space.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:46 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:43 pm The fact remains that they can endure in the upper atmosphere, which is not space.
I just want to clarify again that, in this argument of technicalities and semantics, the upper atmosphere is space, everywhere is space, we all live in space on a daily basis.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:28 pm

JewyB wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:46 pmI just want to clarify again that, in this argument of technicalities and semantics, the upper atmosphere is space, everywhere is space, we all live in space on a daily basis.
Just to clarify, we are all half centaur.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:29 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:28 pm
JewyB wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:46 pmI just want to clarify again that, in this argument of technicalities and semantics, the upper atmosphere is space, everywhere is space, we all live in space on a daily basis.
Just to clarify, we are all half centaur.
I wondered why i'd been feeling a little horse recently.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:38 pm

JewyB wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:46 pm
Luso Saiyan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:43 pm The fact remains that they can endure in the upper atmosphere, which is not space.
I just want to clarify again that, in this argument of technicalities and semantics, the upper atmosphere is space, everywhere is space, we all live in space on a daily basis.
This reminded me of that old Eddie Izzard sketch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5iEK-IEzw) :lol:

"... The Death Star, I run the Death Star."
"What's the Death Star?"
"This is the Death Star, you're in the Death Star, I run this star."
"This is a star?"
"THIS IS A FUCKING STAR, I RUN IT! I'M YOUR BOSS!"