Since Goku and Bardock both fought in space, can Saiyans survive upper atmosphere?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Since Goku and Bardock both fought in space, can Saiyans survive upper atmosphere?

Post by precita » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:19 pm

So both Bardock and Goku was shown in space fighting. We're told Saiyans cannot breathe in space as Freeza tells Goku on Namek even after the planet explodes he would survive and Goku would die and suffocate in space if he survived the explosion.

Yet now "in canon" we saw Goku fighting Beerus above the Earth in both Battle of Gods and the anime adaption in Super. This correlates with Bardock standing in space in front of Planet Vegeta to attack Freeza.

Do you think Saiyans can survive the upper atmosphere close to a planet?

Ironically enough the same thing happens in the old DBZ filler of Vegeta/Nappa blowing up Planet Arlia:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Since Goku and Bardock both fought in space, can Saiyans survive upper atmosphere?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:41 pm

Toriyama said in an interview that there was enough atmosphere up there for Goku and Beerus to still breathe.

Then again, with Toriyama, he's liable to retcon anything he once said at the drop of a hat.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: Since Goku and Bardock both fought in space, can Saiyans survive upper atmosphere?

Post by theherodjl » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:42 pm

Apparently so.

It reminds me of when 90's Superman(not long after his revival) discovered that he only needed to take a single breath to keep his blood oxygenated for a set period of time. I guess Saiyans can survive even hundreds of miles up from the surface of a planet, just so as long as some oxygen is around.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:40 pm

Neither fought in space. They fought within their respective planet's atmosphere.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:41 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:40 pm Neither fought in space. They fought within their respective planet's atmosphere.
Technically the planets atmospheres exist within space.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:54 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:40 pm Neither fought in space. They fought within their respective planet's atmosphere.
Goku and Beerus were clearly fighting above the Earth and in space in both the movie and Super's anime adaption of the Beerus arc. There's no way around it when you look at all scenes of that fight.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:03 pm

precita wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:54 pm
Goku and Beerus were clearly fighting above the Earth and in space in both the movie and Super's anime adaption of the Beerus arc. There's no way around it when you look at all scenes of that fight.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sune ... yers2.html

It's still part of the atmosphere.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:48 pm

When Moro recovers his lost magic powers, Goku, Vegeta and the Great Kaioshin pursued him to the upper atmosphere and Vegeta warns Goku to not get far, so only the Great Kaioshin fight Moro. There seems to be a limit to how much they can go.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:50 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:03 pm
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sune ... yers2.html

It's still part of the atmosphere.
The bottom of the ocean is "part of the ocean", that doesn't mean you can survive there just because you can swim on the top of it.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:09 pm

I'm impressed Goku and Vegeta don't wish to be able to breath in space by now. You'd think so they don't have to worry about suffocating in space and be able to pursue people without flying by ship.
The Dorkie and Ditzy member of the Trio! I'm as cute and as airheaded as you can get!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:46 pm

Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:09 pm I'm impressed Goku and Vegeta don't wish to be able to breath in space by now. You'd think so they don't have to worry about suffocating in space and be able to pursue people without flying by ship.
Well how many times has it actually come up? Aside from Freeza's threat of destroying Namek, and the fight with Moro where they couldn't go too far into space, it hasn't really been a problem.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:31 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:50 pmThe bottom of the ocean is "part of the ocean", that doesn't mean you can survive there just because you can swim on the top of it.
That's not the question being asked. The point is that the upper atmosphere is not space. The fact that they can survive in the former doesn't mean they can do the same for the latter.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:56 am

They're in the stratosphere, not space, and Toryiama thinks they can barely breathe up there, but they are breathing, but lets not over think it.
I thought that things would get out of hand if they fought right there at Capsule Corporation, but naturally, the location changed. (laughs) To think that they’d go all the way into the stratosphere……but thinking about it, they’re both aliens, after all. Maybe they can just barely breathe.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:37 am

Luso Saiyan wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:31 am
Cursed Lemon wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:50 pmThe bottom of the ocean is "part of the ocean", that doesn't mean you can survive there just because you can swim on the top of it.
That's not the question being asked. The point is that the upper atmosphere is not space. The fact that they can survive in the former doesn't mean they can do the same for the latter.
Did you mean to type "doesn't mean they can't"?

Because they can't.
Special Beam Cannon!

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:32 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:37 amDid you mean to type "doesn't mean they can't"?
No. I meant exactly what I typed: the fact that they can survive in the former (upper atmosphere) doesn't mean they can do the same for the latter (space).

Goku and Bardock didn't fight in space, and there's no reason to assume they can.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:23 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:32 amNo. I meant exactly what I typed: the fact that they can survive in the former (upper atmosphere) doesn't mean they can do the same for the latter (space).

Goku and Bardock didn't fight in space, and there's no reason to assume they can.
Er, okay, but human beings will die halfway up the troposphere which is the first layer of Earth's atmosphere.

Goku and Bardock were VERY clearly outside the troposphere when they fought (assuming Planet Vegeta is structurally similar to Earth).

Ergo, it's just some Toriyama bullshit.
Special Beam Cannon!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:51 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:23 pm
Luso Saiyan wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:32 amNo. I meant exactly what I typed: the fact that they can survive in the former (upper atmosphere) doesn't mean they can do the same for the latter (space).

Er, okay, but human beings will die halfway up the troposphere which is the first layer of Earth's atmosphere.

Goku and Bardock were VERY clearly outside the troposphere when they fought (assuming Planet Vegeta is structurally similar to Earth).

Ergo, it's just some Toriyama bullshit.
Well they obviously have better lungs than us.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:48 am

They also logically need to consume/process waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more oxygen than us to sustain their metabolic function. We already see that in how saiyans eat. Trying to make it make sense will never work.
Special Beam Cannon!

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:49 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:23 pmEr, okay, but human beings will die halfway up the troposphere which is the first layer of Earth's atmosphere.
Who's talking about human beings?
Cursed Lemon wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:23 pmErgo, it's just some Toriyama bullshit.
Sure...

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:58 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:49 pm Who's talking about human beings?
Please direct me to the Daizenshuu article where it talks about the ability for saiyans to breathe ozone. In extremely low pressures where lungs literally can't function.

I'll wait.
Special Beam Cannon!