Why wasn't Goku teleported to Earth upon revival?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Why wasn't Goku teleported to Earth upon revival?

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:18 am

In the Saiyan arc Goku is on King Kai's Planet when he's brought back to life by Shenron. From there he's still on King Kai's Planet and there was the whole thing where he had to travel back along Snake Way.

And likewise when Porunga revived Piccolo on King Kai's Planet he was still there until he was teleported over by the second wish.

But at the end of the Frieza arc, when Yamcha, Tien Shinhan and Chiaotzu are revived on King Kai's Planet....they are somehow teleported over to Earth at the same time.

So why were they immediately transported to Earth upon revival but Goku wasn't?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why wasn't Goku teleported to Earth upon revival?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:54 am

Because he didn't want to be sent there.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:37 am

Yamcha, Tien , and Chiaotzu being teleported only happened in the anime. So that was Toei fucking up yet again.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:50 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:37 am Yamcha, Tien , and Chiaotzu being teleported only happened in the anime. So that was Toei fucking up yet again.
Same happens when anyone is revived, they're back to the spot they died or their bodies were left in.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:45 am

precita wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:50 am
jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:37 am Yamcha, Tien , and Chiaotzu being teleported only happened in the anime. So that was Toei fucking up yet again.
Same happens when anyone is revived, they're back to the spot they died or their bodies were left in.
? The only person who kept their body in the afterlife whom we actually SEE get revived is Goku.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:54 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:45 am
? The only person who kept their body in the afterlife whom we actually SEE get revived is Goku.
No, Piccolo, when he was revived, also was revived on Kaiou's planet, and then was teleported later.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:14 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:54 am Because he didn't want to be sent there.
No I mean before he ran back along Snake Way. He was revived and then had to physically run all the back along Snake Way to the Check In Station where Kami then transported him to Earth.

Meanwhile Yamcha, Tien and Chiaotzu were revived while on King Kai's Planet and magically teleported to Earth right away.
Oh it was an anime thing?

Let me check ... Oh yeah the manga didn't show it happen or not happen. Looks like it was something that was added for the anime to make the whole scene a bit more emotional. It is an inconsistency though.

That said, there was that whole thing about how they couldn't revive Goku and Krillin because they'd just be brought back to empty space and suffocate because people are revived where they died.

But again that didn't happen with Goku or Piccolo. So hypothetically wouldn't they have died, gone to the check in station with their bodies and then upon being wished back to life...they'd just be alive while at the check in station and then Kami would have teleported them to Earth again?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:48 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:14 pm
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:54 am Because he didn't want to be sent there.
No I mean before he ran back along Snake Way. He was revived and then had to physically run all the back along Snake Way to the Check In Station where Kami then transported him to Earth.

Meanwhile Yamcha, Tien and Chiaotzu were revived while on King Kai's Planet and magically teleported to Earth right away.
Oh it was an anime thing?

Let me check ... Oh yeah the manga didn't show it happen or not happen. Looks like it was something that was added for the anime to make the whole scene a bit more emotional. It is an inconsistency though.

That said, there was that whole thing about how they couldn't revive Goku and Krillin because they'd just be brought back to empty space and suffocate because people are revived where they died.

But again that didn't happen with Goku or Piccolo. So hypothetically wouldn't they have died, gone to the check in station with their bodies and then upon being wished back to life...they'd just be alive while at the check in station and then Kami would have teleported them to Earth again?
Goku and Piccolo kept their bodies in the afterlife, that's why they stayed where they were. Krillin's body was destroyed and Kami didn't pull any strings to get his body brought back. So his body would be revived where it was destroyed.
Cold World (Fanfic)

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:49 pm

Darkprince410 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:54 am
jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:45 am
No, Piccolo, when he was revived, also was revived on Kaiou's planet, and then was teleported later.
Right, sorry, I misspoke. But it's a moot point because he comes back in the same way as Goku, only they were able to have Porunga zap him.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:47 pm

You have to ask why Krillin wouldn't be allowed to keep his body in the afterlife. I mean if former megalomaniacs, bandits, and aspiring cutthroats like Piccolo, Tenshinhan, Yamcha, and Chaozu were given leeway then someone who has been more or less good hearted since the 21st tournament should be moved up to the top of the list. At his worst Krillin was just a conniving slippery weasel who wasn't above cheating to get what he wanted -- that's a far cry from what the other aforementioned anti-heroes have done or were intending to do.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:57 pm

Lionel wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:47 pm You have to ask why Krillin wouldn't be allowed to keep his body in the afterlife. I mean if former megalomaniacs, bandits, and aspiring cutthroats like Piccolo, Tenshinhan, Yamcha, and Chaozu were given leeway then someone who has been more or less good hearted since the 21st tournament should be moved up to the top of the list. At his worst Krillin was just a conniving slippery weasel who wasn't above cheating to get what he wanted -- that's a far cry from what the other aforementioned anti-heroes have done or were intending to do.
Keep in mind that most of the stuff we see in the afterlife is Toei's creation, not Toriyama's. The Ginyu Force showing up on King Kai's planet? That was Toei. Also, there may be a difference between someone dying with their bodies intact vs having their bodies completely destroyed. Although Goku is blown up at the end of the Cell Games, and he returns stronger in the Buu Saga. So it may just have been an oversight. There have been far more glaring plotholes in Dragon Ball. lol

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:48 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:57 pmAlso, there may be a difference between someone dying with their bodies intact vs having their bodies completely destroyed.
This might be the case, since when they brought Freeza back he was still diced into pieces and they needed to use that regeneration machine to heal him.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:33 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:48 pmGoku and Piccolo kept their bodies in the afterlife, that's why they stayed where they were. Krillin's body was destroyed and Kami didn't pull any strings to get his body brought back. So his body would be revived where it was destroyed.
Fair enough but then what about Goku? If he'd died on Namek then surely he'd have just showed up at the check in station again with his body like before.

A wish to revive him would bring him back to life while in the check in station and Kami could have then teleported him to Earth.

Why is it a concern that reviving Goku would bring him back to empty space when previously when he was revived he wasn't brought back to where he fought Raditz.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:38 pm

Xeno Goku Black wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:33 pm
jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:48 pmGoku and Piccolo kept their bodies in the afterlife, that's why they stayed where they were. Krillin's body was destroyed and Kami didn't pull any strings to get his body brought back. So his body would be revived where it was destroyed.
Fair enough but then what about Goku? If he'd died on Namek then surely he'd have just showed up at the check in station again with his body like before.

A wish to revive him would bring him back to life while in the check in station and Kami could have then teleported him to Earth.

Why is it a concern that reviving Goku would bring him back to empty space when previously when he was revived he wasn't brought back to where he fought Raditz.
Again, he wasn't brought back to where he fought Raditz because his body was on King Kai's planet. The reason he retained his body before was because of Kami having it sent to other world. Assuming that his body was destroyed, then just like Krillin, it would've been brought back where it last was.
Cold World (Fanfic)