Was SS3 Gotenks enough to destroy Super Buu?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Was SS3 Gotenks enough to destroy Super Buu?

Post by Psajdak » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:58 pm

I mean if he was serious - think Future Trunks level of no-nonsense.

One big part of Buu saga is basically about Goten, and Trunks being the last hope of everyone, with the Fusion they learned.

What do you guys think?

Personally, I have a hard time seeing Gotenks win, despite him being crazy powerful at the time; Buu's regeneration was way too good.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Re: Was SS3 Gotenks enough to destroy Super Buu?

Post by ZeroNeonix » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:57 pm

You mean the vanilla Super Buu, no absorptions? I think yes. Gotenks just played around way too much. Heck, they could have destroyed Fat Buu, if they just went Super in their first fight. Seriously, why didn't they transform then? Piccolo later assumes they have to transform before transforming, but then they just...do it. It kinda makes them seem like an idiot.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:36 am

I think so too but it should be noted that Gotenks' inability to clench the victory also had to do with the surrounding circumstances he was made to deal with like having to initially escape the ROSAT and then waiting for Buu to reemerge after he was smacked into Earth's surface by Gotenks from the ruins of the palace. Those precious few seconds or even minutes could have proved vital in determining whether or not Gotenks has enough time to launch his final attack against Buu.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:09 am

Yes, although he wouldn't have had as an easy time as Mystic Gohan, he definitely could've finished him if he was serious about it.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:18 am

I'd say "not" in the end as it was sort of a sign of what was to come in Goku & Pure Boo's fight. Goku/Gotenks certainly had the power to inflict major damage on either Boo but the regenerative ability of Boo simply mitigated however much damage they received, that and the stamina issue with SSJ3 as well. Either Boo could've been brought to the brink of being completely destroyed by their respective opponents in a one-on-one fight but the factors of haxx regeneration and limits on maintaining full power ultimately worked against the Saiyans in these bouts. Had they received backup from fighters almost or about as strong as Boo, it might've been possible. Unfortunately, Piccolo & Vegeta didn't fit the bill and thus, a powered up attack wasn't able to be formed in time to eradicate Boo.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:58 am

Yeah they could, otherwise they would have admitted they would lose and told Gohan to take care of him when offered the chance to rejoin.
They just ran out of time before. I wouldn't be easy but yeah they'd do it.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:10 pm

I also believe the story implies Gotenks and Gohan had the power to destroy Boo, but not the proper mindset. That’s why Boo also added Piccolo, since he was No.01 in this aspect.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:51 pm

In Super Saiyan 3, yes. Definitely. With difficulty though.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:30 pm

I believe so, yes. He didn't seem to suffer Goku's power drain as SS3, so with that on his favour, and with the proper mindset, no playing volleyball, no boasting or being cocky, they would've destroyed him, I think.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:38 pm

Yeah, it's safe to assume that.
Even though it's bullshit how he got SSJ3 that quickly.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:51 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:38 pmIt's bullshit how he got SSJ3 that quickly.
I would've preferred both Goten and Trunks to not have Ssj (they barely used it so why give it to them so early ?) and Gotenks to only reach Ssj2.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:20 am

I personally believe that he didn't necessarily have what it took to defeat Buu, or at least that Buu was going easy on him toward the end. When Gotenks Buu was facing off against Gohan, he makes this comment to him.
Boo: “It’s your fault. You were stronger than I, who should have been the absolute strongest…When I sensed your distant presence, I started up on this strategy…In case maybe, just maybe, there was anyone stronger than myself…Then I hit upon it: if I absorbed that ‘Super Gotenks’ squirt I was fighting at the time, then no matter what kind of guy appeared, my throne as the strongest would not be shaken…”
Not only does he not acknowledge Gotenks as someone stronger than him (he acknowledges Gohan being stronger than him, but not Gotenks), but what he comments also suggests that perhaps he intentionally let the fight drag on/let Gotenks beat on him just so as to not overly damage him for when he needed to absorb him later. He realized that he needed Gotenks for his plan to work, so he willingly let Gotenks beat on him, knowing Gotenks wasn't strong enough to do any truly appreciable damage to him, in order to save him for absorption later.