How was Vegeta able to witness what took place on Earth while in Hell?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fable

How was Vegeta able to witness what took place on Earth while in Hell?

Post by Fable » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:34 pm

FnF and Super provided us insight on what Hell is like for its occupants in DB; eternal torment of one's worst nightmare. In the case of Freeza, it's being bound against your will while a group of wholesome, innocent creatures parade around you as you're helpless to do anything about it. Apart from that, you're in complete solitude and aren't given the privilege of being kept up-to-date with what's going on in the land of the living. (Granted, it's certainly plausible that Freeza was given special treatment and his circumstances were unique to him.)

With that in mind, how could Vegeta, while in Hell, be aware of what occurred on Earth?

Yes, I'm sure we all know the real reason, but I'm interested in your in-universe explanations.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Re: How was Vegeta able to witness what took place on Earth while in Hell?

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:56 pm

Well I always assumed, that either Enma or Baba filled him in on what was going on after it was decided they should revive him. I mean what would be the point in just dropping him into a fight with Buuhan when his last experience with was with Majin Buu.

Fable

Post by Fable » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:09 pm

But Vegeta specifically says he personally "saw" Goku use SS3 from the afterlife; he "saw" Goten and Trunks perform the fusion dance.

This doesn't sound like he was simply informed of these two events.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:43 pm

Lord Enma has a TV that can see what happens in the universe apparently(the manga shows it when Pure Buu was about to die) similar to the Godtube concept from Super.
He probably rewinded and saw what happened along with Vegeta after Goku filled him in that he would be seeing a lot more Earthlings up for judgement that day.
Or Baba showed Vegeta with her crystal ball.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:02 pm

I don't think it was clear enough, but if Geets got to keep his body, then that means his soul never got separated from it, meaning he had to stay somewhere until Enma called him into action.
He wasn't with Kaio sama, he wasn't in Heaven (or Hell), and wasn't sitting next to Enma either, so I'm thinking he was put in some waiting room Enma has for those kind of situations, with wifi, Netflix, Godtube, and had nothing better to do than watching what was happening on Earth.

BUUUT, he had no idea about fusion, we know that now after the Broly movie, he heard it from Trunks IIRC, so probably Vegeta being Vegeta stuck around to watch SS3 Goku vs Majin Buu, got angry and destroyed the TV, missing the following fights.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:17 pm

Maybe Vegeta's personal Hell was being forced to see others surpass him even further. Seeing Goku turn SS3, Gohan achieve his unlocked potential, and Buu grow more and more powerful with each transformation and fusion.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:35 am

It is specifically stated that Enma had to give Vegeta his body back, meaning he was a soul during his time in the afterlife.

It really never made sense how he could have seen those events, and it makes even less sense with what we learned about Hell in Super.

The best explanation is that Enma and Baba showed him the events to get him caught up, which could have been done with her crystal ball, or GodTube. But this is just headcanon.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:38 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:17 pm Maybe Vegeta's personal Hell was being forced to see others surpass him even further. Seeing Goku turn SS3, Gohan achieve his unlocked potential, and Buu grow more and more powerful with each transformation and fusion.
I actually love this answer.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:15 am

nickzambuto wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:35 am It is specifically stated that Enma had to give Vegeta his body back, meaning he was a soul during his time in the afterlife.

It really never made sense how he could have seen those events, and it makes even less sense with what we learned about Hell in Super.

The best explanation is that Enma and Baba showed him the events to get him caught up, which could have been done with her crystal ball, or GodTube. But this is just headcanon.
If he was given his body back and kept in reserve he probably just watched it on the big TV with everyone else, it's barely headcanon and just logical.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:44 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:17 pm Maybe Vegeta's personal Hell was being forced to see others surpass him even further. Seeing Goku turn SS3, Gohan achieve his unlocked potential, and Buu grow more and more powerful with each transformation and fusion.
This is what I was thinking as well, kind of. If all else fails, then just say that his version of Hell was that he had to helplessly watch the story unfold, seeing everything he did in the arc up to that point being worthless (Goku had another form the whole time, and Buu survived).
I do think it's probably just that he was brought up to speed by King Yemma, though. It's the simplest explanation.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:53 pm

I just assumed it meant that spirits in the afterlife can see what's going on in the living world, like the idea that people who die are "watching over us" and can see what we are doing.

blacksymbiote
Beyond Newbie

Post by blacksymbiote » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:28 pm

Didn't Vegeta just sense SSJ3 like everybody else? Also, weren't they watching stuff on earth on Yemma's tv?

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:28 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:02 pm BUUUT, he had no idea about fusion, we know that now after the Broly movie, he heard it from Trunks IIRC, so probably Vegeta being Vegeta stuck around to watch SS3 Goku vs Majin Buu, got angry and destroyed the TV, missing the following fights.
I could've sworn he mentioned not wanting to do the fusion dance when he met back up with Goku on Earth, unless that was an anime-only thing.

He also saw Gotenks do it in BoG, so I'd chalk that line in Broly up to "Toriyama forgot".

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:46 am

Kataphrut wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:28 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:02 pm BUUUT, he had no idea about fusion, we know that now after the Broly movie, he heard it from Trunks IIRC, so probably Vegeta being Vegeta stuck around to watch SS3 Goku vs Majin Buu, got angry and destroyed the TV, missing the following fights.
I could've sworn he mentioned not wanting to do the fusion dance when he met back up with Goku on Earth, unless that was an anime-only thing.

He also saw Gotenks do it in BoG, so I'd chalk that line in Broly up to "Toriyama forgot".
Yes they talk about Fusion inside Super Buu with Vegeta stating he saw it from the afterlife along with the skinny Buu eating the fat Buu.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:41 pm

I always assume that he saw what was going on while waiting in line at Other World. He is the only bad person to keep his body after death.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yasai9001 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:41 am

This is what I have always believed as it makes the most sense.