A Philosophical Analysis of Son Goku's character archetype!

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jd55513
Not-So-Newbie

A Philosophical Analysis of Son Goku's character archetype!

Post by jd55513 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:19 pm

Lots of people get frustrated with Goku's "stupid decisions" and always being a "empty headed" guy. some of the actions seen in the Galactic Patrol Prisoner Arc have left many people upset with Goku's character progression. While I sympathize that the writing may be lackluster and repetitive. I may have quite a decent analysis and perspective, that may help broaden people appreciation of Dragon Ball , Martial Arts and ultimately Eastern Philosophy! I believe many people are not seeing the actions of giving mercy or the extent of giving a senzu bean, as within Goku's character. The reasons Westerners may not understand or like it, likely has to do with knowledge of Eastern Philosophy.

The character archetype of Goku, is a synthesis of Shintoism, Confucianism, Daoism and Buddhism. In this case,
For Buddhism they believe in innate buddhahood for all sentient beings(which includes all evil doers like King Piccolo, Frieza, Cell, Kid Buu, Zamasu, and even Moro). Goku is like a "Bodhisattva" which, are enlightened beings who strive to get others to achieve enlightenment and awakening.

They believe in universal compassion. This is why Goku is written to be pure "kokoro" (heart) and empty minded. forgiving, as well as doing things like giving a senzu bean, or giving mercy to the most malicious beings in the universe.

Goku's character archetype is based on the central character in Journey to the West, Son Wukong. The story is about a tale of retrieving buddhist scrolls from India.
It's also apparent that Eastern Philosophy is there. Because historically, Buddhism spread from India to China and then Japan. As it spread to China. The Shaolin Monks incorporated Buddhism into their martial arts(Kung fu) as it spread to Japan, in influenced the way of the warrior, or Bushido. (Zen Buddhism)
One of the coolest things to come from Dragon Ball, is "Migatti No Gokui". Geekdom101 did a video on it's basis, which is Mushin. However, I also believe it to be a reference to a real life swordsman named Miyamoto Musashi, he founded a Zen Buddhist school of thought, for kenjutsu technique called niten'ichi (二天一, "two heavens as one") or nitōichi (二刀一, "two swords as one") or 'Niten Ichi-ryū' (A Kongen Buddhist Sutra refers to the two heavens as the two guardians of Buddha). 
All of Son Goku's lessons from his martial arts masters(Roshi, Korin, Popo, Kami, King Kai, Whis, and even Merus, have all led up to his spiritual culmination, the mastery of self movement.

Goku being a pure and empty minded being, is the first step in spiritual enlightenment in achieving such a state. Goku's inner aggregates is his selfish desire to fight. He queals this desire to fight (even if temporarily) and that is what allows him to achieve Ultra Instinct.

In the East, specifically in terms of Buddhism, the primary struggle facing people is the cultivation of self and freeing themselves from the cycle of samsara. Those who selfishly pursue things will be forced to endlessly reincarnate and thus, continue to experience "dukka"(suffering) and "anatta"(impermance) until they let go of the five aggregates of Buddhism.

In Confucianism, You have a humanist centered philosophy, that espouses, the flourishing of society as being the best good. Anything deviating from this or the virtues of a enlightened individual in society leads to the imbalance and gives the impression of "Evil". that is Specifically to "way of the gentlemen" are benevolence (ren 仁), righteousness (yi 義), ritual propriety (li 禮), wisdom (zhi 智), and trustworthiness (xin 信).

However, in Shintoism, there is a struggle and balancing of kegare ("pollution" or "impurity"), while ensuring harae ("purity"). Which contradicts some Buddhist ideas of the non-self(atman)

I really think people need to understand that the Eastern Philosophy in Asian cultures is vastly different than in Western cultures.
In regards to Metaphysics and Ethics, it is night and day on concepts of Gods and Evil.

For example, Evil in the East is not a "substance" in a monist point of view. It does not have matter associated with it.

In the West, from a theological point of view, St. Augustine viewed evil as a "privation of good" he didn't believe Evil was created since that would deconstruct the presumption that a God was perfect in the sense of omnipotent, all good, and omniscient.

Also in the West, people tend to believe in a concept in Theodicy called the "vale of soul making". This would be the explaination for the problem of evil. That is, the existence of evil as a phenomenological effect, that motivates and breeds self cultivation of behavior and harmonious virtues in mortals.

The reason I added the stuff about evil and Godhood, is that people always struggle with coming to terms of why don't Whis or the Kaioshins or the other Gods, actually intervene. This is a struggle that parallels actual history in theology and is across cultures.
Thinking of these things, helps to appreciate the ideas behind the fiction.

My other argument is this.
another philosophical perspective you can have about this issue on the senzu bean, besides Eastern Philosophy, is this.

I believe the act of giving a senzu bean to Moro actually sealed his fate! To explain, Geekdom did a video awhile ago on the Philosophy of Dragon Ball storytelling and casualty.
Well if you think about it, had Goku not gave Moro a senzu Bean(or the talk of mercy)
Moro may not have noticed the arm containing Merus's absorbed powers. Had He not taken it, he may not have been so easily defeated. By that, I mean he could have had sneaky magic up his sleeve and as a last resort could have fused with the Earth still.
Because he didn't have Merus powers, he could have freely messed with Goku and his friends, siphoning away their energy until they die, and wouldn't have the angelic power causing his self-implosion!
So the act of giving the senzu bean, had a huge karmic effect later on!
Finally, this makes sense because this perspective (causality and fatalism) has already been used before. Goku sparing Piccolo who then didn't bother z fighters for 5 years at the start of DBZ. Or Goku and Krillin showing mercy to Vegeta in the Saiyan Saga. Vegeta would later help Gohan and Krillin in the Namek Saga and go on to become one of Earth's greatest defenders. Or The selfish wish to reincarnate Kid Buu. Without Uubs energy they would have died.
Even sparing Frieza had a karmic effect, as Frieza would replay his debt to Goku and give him energy in the Tournament of Power

Would love to hear your thoughts and feedback!
If your wondering my credentials and sources.
I just recently graduated with a bachelors in physics.
I love to study the Philosophy of Science and things of that sort.
I'll be happy to provide books and articles on this too!
Thanks!!