Why didn't Beerus slapping Bulma kill her immediately when he first came to Earth?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Why didn't Beerus slapping Bulma kill her immediately when he first came to Earth?

Post by precita » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:18 am

When Beerus is introduced a slight tap on SSJ3's Goku's shoulder was enough to knock him down to the ground completely immobile.

At Bulma's party he slaps her pretty hard in the face, who is a normal human, and she not only doesn't die, but she's able to stand right back up immediately afterward as if she got slapped by another human.

How do you explain away this inconsistency? Bulma should have blown up.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Why didn't Beerus slapping Bulma kill her immediately when he first came to Earth?

Post by Zephyr » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:20 am

She's been secretly training.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Why didn't Beerus slapping Bulma kill her immediately when he first came to Earth?

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:56 am

She like it rough.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:15 am

It's not an inconsistency. Physical strength in Dragonball has much less to do with muscles than it does with ki. He obviously put virtually no ki into the slap to Bulma, but a fair amount into the flick to Goku.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:16 am

She offered him food so I believe out of courtesy he made an non-lethal slap to her in response.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:48 pm

Same reason why Mai survived a direct ki blast from Goku Black.

Same reason why 30 civilians and a cat can give Trunks enough strength to overpower Fused Zamasu.

Etc. etc. etc.

It's just a story, power levels don't have to be consistent all the time. That'd make the story boring, plus most of us don't care about them.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:01 am

because he didn't want to kill her. duh.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:25 pm

Beerus' intent seemed to be one of subjugating and expressing his overwhelming authority. Not everything with him and other such characters is about final annihilation and the putting down of any objection or opposition to his wishes. Bulma was a person who was retaliating against the Hakaishin for ruining her birthday in the best way she knew how using her own strength. Beerus was merely trying to prove that what she wished didn't matter and that he was the one in charge.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:37 pm

According to TVTropes - which isn't necessarily accurate - it earned her his respect. He doesn't really care for people who kowtow or treat him with reference and dread, as that's the norm for a god of destruction. For someone who treats him as a peer - who is ready to tell him to his face when he is wrong or who is able to debate/spar with him on an equal level - he can be friends with them.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:08 am

Beerus gave her back exactly what she gave to him. It was a human-level slap.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:35 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:48 pm Same reason why Mai survived a direct ki blast from Goku Black.

Same reason why 30 civilians and a cat can give Trunks enough strength to overpower Fused Zamasu.

Etc. etc. etc.

It's just a story, power levels don't have to be consistent all the time. That'd make the story boring, plus most of us don't care about them.
This, all of this.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:38 am

How does anyone survive or comprehend anything at this point? We got dudes who can cause universe-wide shockwaves from their fists colliding and surpass the speed of light by millions of times. When MUI Goku punched Moro in the gut, the universe should've imploded yet the Earth remained intact.
This Ki-control business is just as absurd as their power.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:42 pm

Because, like in real life, people can hold back their strength. What's so difficult to understand about that?

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:46 pm

precita wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:18 am
When Beerus is introduced a slight tap on SSJ3's Goku's shoulder was enough to knock him down to the ground completely immobile.
A light tap? Goku was launched downward and crashed into the ground.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:48 pm

precita wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:18 am When Beerus is introduced a slight tap on SSJ3's Goku's shoulder was enough to knock him down to the ground completely immobile.

At Bulma's party he slaps her pretty hard in the face, who is a normal human, and she not only doesn't die, but she's able to stand right back up immediately afterward as if she got slapped by another human.

How do you explain away this inconsistency? Bulma should have blown up.
didn't bother to kill her the just that

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:17 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:48 pm
didn't bother to kill her the just that
Yeah, but Mr. Satan was the one who defeated Cell, so that's easy to explain. :P

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:58 am

Blooma is bisexual (I just decided this) and as we all know, bisexuals are undefeated. Beers, being inferior, was just barely able to knock Blooma aside. Blooma, being Chi-Chi's girlfriend, had learned to refine her ki a little and thus was able to withstand some of Beers' power.

Remember, there's a reason Beers eats at Blooma's house: kitty knows who to rub up against to get some food.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:02 pm

Broly gave Videl the clothesline from hell and she just bounced off of him without a scratch.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:32 am

Why didn't Berrus punching the fighting cast immediately kill them, too? All his punishments did not exceed the violations.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:04 pm

Because Vegeta abuses her and she's grown more durable.
We the ones