Can someone endure the Kienzan (original manga-specific discussion)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Can someone endure the Kienzan (original manga-specific discussion)

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:47 pm

Disclaimer: GT anime, Super anime, and Dragon Ball feats are barred from this thread. This is manga of Dragon Ball only as it's the purist sense of Toriyama's vision.

From memory, I can't recall a single time the move was not capable of cutting someone, even if their power was eclipsed. Can someone endure it? Or does it always cut?
We the ones

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Can someone endure the Kienzan (original manga-specific discussion)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:46 pm

It's kind of impossible to answer that question. If you're not going to take any supplementary material (be it animation, additional manga, guidebooks, etc.) into consideration, all we have to go on is... well, it gets (1) dodged, (2) otherwise anticipated, or (3) they didn't see it coming so it doesn't count for your scenario here.

Nappa moves his head at the last second. Vegeta jump over it. Gohan's tail gets cut off. Kuririn gets Freeza's tail. Freeza didn't see his own coming back at him, so he gets cut the heck up. Goku gets Boo from behind, but he's Boo, so he just puts himself back together.

Am I missing any?

If I had to guess, I'd say yeah: its specific properties make it so that it would be pretty difficult to avoid getting cut. I guess unless there's some exponentially large difference in ki expelling from a character to block it? In which case it likewise doesn't work for your scenario anyway?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:53 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:46 pm It's kind of impossible to answer that question. If you're not going to take any supplementary material (be it animation, additional manga, guidebooks, etc.) into consideration, all we have to go on is... well, it gets (1) dodged, (2) otherwise anticipated, or (3) they didn't see it coming so it doesn't count for your scenario here.

Nappa moves his head at the last second. Vegeta jump over it. Gohan's tail gets cut off. Kuririn gets Freeza's tail. Freeza didn't see his own coming back at him, so he gets cut the heck up. Goku gets Boo from behind, but he's Boo, so he just puts himself back together.

Am I missing any?

If I had to guess, I'd say yeah: its specific properties make it so that it would be pretty difficult to avoid getting cut. I guess unless there's some exponentially large difference in ki expelling from a character to block it? In which case it likewise doesn't work for your scenario anyway?
I put the restriction on the animated form cause there's filler where it doesn't hurt Cell's perfect form. I'm not sure what 'additional manga' and 'guidebooks' are to be quite honest.

Main reason I made this thread is I have a theory that the Kienzan has the greatest attack power in the manga.
We the ones

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:49 pm

Well if we take Krillin from the Saiyan saga when he first used it, and have him throw it at SSJ Vegeto from the Buu saga, somehow I doubt it would do much, if any, damage.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:56 pm

Are you considering Super manga too? Because the most we have in relation to this throughout the manga (considering Dragon Ball and Super) is Yunba reflecting Kienzan by rotating his body

His body does not necessarily resist Kiezan naturally, but I think this is the only instance in the manga where an opponent doesn't dodges Kienzan