What's your "Dream Team"

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

What's your "Dream Team"

Post by Yuli Ban » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:06 am

I recently realized that one of my reasons for liking the first Broly movie and my decreasing tolerance for the later movies was the fact that it basically took place at the "dream" moment for Dragon Ball for me.

Movie 8 gives us Son Goku, Gohan, Vegeta, Future Trunks, and Piccolo all together at their pre-Boo peaks. Even better, there's only Super Saiyan (maybe Grade 2 for Trunks and Vegeta), so it's the A-team of Z all together without much extra fluff. It would have been better if the movie wasn't a prolonged one-sided beatdown but Broly dominating them for so long compared to the other movie villains is also why that movie's popular. Gohan also wasn't written with him being stronger than his father in mind as is obvious by the fact he's so easily crushed, but it's that he's still directly alongside the core fighters and not just on the sidelines that puts him there. And Future Trunks is there to boot. Son Goku, Vegeta, and Piccolo are a given. Movie 7 came close to this because it's the same characters, but the circumstances weren't quite right for my tastes.

This helped to communicate just how powerful Broly was as well, as the series' A-team was constantly getting goofed and bodied even when they attacked (mostly) together. Movie 10 reduced this to High Schoolhan, Goten, Trunks, and Videl. No disrespect to Videl but her against Broly's pretty much a gag. The boys genuinely were a gag dragged on too long. Gohan (Super Saiyan 2 Gohan, I'll hear no refutations to this) was probably above any of the senshi from movie 8 but by this point in the series, we'd already seen him much stronger and knew he had weakened considerably. We saw no one else. We had Krillcolo but he was also a gag. No Vegeta; Son Goku was dead save for the end, not even #18.
Bio-Broly completed the downward trend by recycling Goten and Trunks and Krillin and finally giving us #18 as well, but the fact they disposed Pooply in a movie that ostensibly did everything Dragon Ball fans wanted a movie to do (focus on Earthlings, not have a Goku asspull ending, do something different in general) is universally seen as a negative. 18 was just humiliated when she could've been the Gohan of the movie. Not great but better than what we got. If it was anything other than Broly, it might've worked, but this was a disappointing collapse. Compared to Cooler where the first movie saw him humiliated by Super Saiyan Goku alone whereas the second movie gave us the Army of Meta-Coolers approaching two defeated and tired golden monkeys. That was a ratcheting up, even if it didn't have my personal top-tier of the series fighting together (to be fair, it was only missing Future Trunks in that scenario). But having the top-tier fighting together serves a purpose and I feel that's a major reason why so many look down on the later Broly movies.

That said, while this assortment is MY "Dream Team," others have different opinions. For example, movie 3 could be considered a "Dream Team" for those who prefer the Earthlings with Son Goku as the only (full-blooded) Saiyan (coincidentally, it's the only other movie that has a Saiyan antagonist). Though if I recall it didn't feature Muten Roshi as a major fighter, which might be a let-down (movies 3 and 4 are where it gets harder for me to justify him appearing, but surely we could've gotten another henchman more on his level). Otherwise, the others appear sporadically throughout the films.

I personally also would've loved to see in a fantastical hypothetical where Toei realizes they don't have to stick to canon progression and can still make more out-of-canon movies set during past eras is Son Goku, Krillin, Tenshinhan, Chaozu, Yamcha, Roshi, and Kami having a battle with Piccolo circa the beginning of Z in a setting where Raditz didn't arrive. Like a redux of Garlic Jr. Anything to get Roshi and Kami back on the battlefield alongside the strongest Earthlings. And better yet, see how Toriyama handles an Oozaru vs. Giant-form Piccolo.

But do you have a dream team? Maybe not necessarily the most powerful but just the characters you want to see together? And under what circumstances, facing off against who?
Did we actually see it in the show? Don't worry about the movies; I just focused on them because that's where my favorite teams stemmed from.

Is your Dream Team the strongest Earthlings? The Super-era Earthlings facing off against Freeza circa the Namek arc?
Do you want to see Goku, Vegeta, Future Trunks, and Gohan back together at their current Super-era peaks, maybe with Broly filling it for more Saiyan wank?
Or are you craving an assortment of characters who haven't even met before but you'd think would work perfectly together?
Last edited by Yuli Ban on Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: What's your "Dream Team"

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:20 am

I've wanted to see Gokuu and Chi-Chi fight side-by-side for years. I just think there's something nice about seeing the bond of a cpuple play out in a combat scene. I want to see Chi-Chi's combat face and Gokuu's romantic face!

Similarly, I wish we could see Vegeta and Future Trunks fight together. I feel like there was a missed opportunity due to the weakness of the production to really see the father-son duo get a really cool moment together against Black and Zamasu, like when the Kame School teamed up in Movie #5 against Doctor Uirou.

I really wish Movie #20 had emphasized the characters' teamwork instead of fusion to defeat Broli. That would have been way more fun from an animation and character POV.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:26 am

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:20 am I've wanted to see Gokuu and Chi-Chi fight side-by-side for years. I just think there's something nice about seeing the bond of a cpuple play out in a combat scene. I want to see Chi-Chi's combat face and Gokuu's romantic face!
Agh, believe it or not, I deleted a passage about a dream team matchup set between the End of DB/start of Z where we got more Son Goku and Chi-Chi. I'm not sold on Goku having a romantic side (I remain a staunch "Saiyans are aro-ace; Bardock/Gine/Vegeta/anime Kale are deviants" type until Toriyama himself retcons it completely) but it'd be a great "animated Not!Bruce Lee/Not!Angela Mao Ying" feature.
The Yabanverse

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:35 am

Yuli Ban wrote: ↑Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:06 am 18 was just humiliated when she could've been the Gohan of the movie.
i don't think her having no connection to anything going on and just randomly showing up halfway thru the movie and becoming The Hero Guy all while showing no character, would've been a improvement for how she's used in the movie.

anyway, for what Team is actually used in the series, honestly probably the early cell arc cast. so goku, gohan, piccolo, trunks, tenshinhan, yamcha, krillin and vegeta. while i don't think the cell arc uses it's cast well, seeing all of our heros back and together is undoubtedly a striking image, especially in-universe wise the last time they all were was 10 years ago. future trunks being there adds a fun dynamic and while vegeta Isn't physically there untill 2 of them are out of commission, him being that wild card of "Will he show up, will he be on our side when he does, how strong will he be?" is a fun concept (even if it fails in execution) and idea for his character. also it does kind of have the vibe of the meet up sections of the budokai arcs, seeing new design changes, new attacks, how powerful they are now, what character dynamics are gonna play out, all that. well the cell games uses the same cast, and i straight up prefer the boo arc cast character wise, neither really have that vibe, the story had just changed too much.

however for my own personal one, honestly just mash the cast of the two sequel brolis together (so, gohan, videl, goten, trunks, krillin and #18) and then add goku, and i think that's a really fun cast. movie 13 is pretty close to that lol.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

πŸ‡΅πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΅πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΅πŸ‡Έ

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:08 pm

Ah you beat me to it, I was gonna make a thread with basically the exact same topic! Bravo.

My personal pick would probably be the early Android arc Z-Warriors, at least the premise of them anyway. Goku, Piccolo, Gohan, Vegeta, Trunks, Krillin, Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Chaozu (plus Bulma, Baby Trunks and Yajirobe). Of course, in practice, many of them were instantly thrown in the trash before they had a chance to do anything, but Toriyama's art of them all standing in a line with their new designs... Ooh, it's good. All of them are alive and active in hunting the Androids like the Scooby Gang or something, ready to kill c*nts and f*ck sh*t up. I have a soft spot for many of the designs here. Goku's minimalist look with sash belt and no kanji, Krillin with weighted undershirt and blue boots, Tenshinhan's green Shaolin sash, Yamcha's Kaio kanji and short hair. Chaozu just being there even though he had less screentime this arc than ever pretty much solidifies his whole role as that one antisocial hanger-on in the group.

However, the current status quo is in many ways the best in terms of sheer size. We don't always see the whole gang hanging out together at the same time, much less working together which cheapens it a bit, but it's a pretty good time to be alive.

Friends and allies not pictured: North Kaio, Shin, Old Kaioshin, Kibito, Beerus, Whis, Jaco, the Pilaf Gang, Android #17, Freeza, Future Trunks and Mai, Monaka, Zeno, all the Universe 6 dudes, Jiren, Broly, Cheelai, Lemo, Esca, Merus, the entire Galactic Patrol... It's safe to say that the supporting cast has steadily porked up into a real CHONKER of a friend circle.

Although he's filler, there's one character who I think works best away from the Z-Warriors: Paikuhan. It's nice for Goku to have a friend in another world who's not been drafted into his main gang.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:52 pm

I have two Dream Teams.

The android arc-SS-Movie 8 team is my favourite. I think it encapsulates DBZ perfectly. The many blond-haired fighters facing impossible threats were all over my school folders. I remember seeing Goku, Vegeta, Trunks, Gohan in SS and also Piccolo with his cape and silly hat everywhere, I guess that moment in Z got marketed the most around here. From figurine albums, to folders and cups and bedsheets lol.
I think it's the first portion of Z (the second one would be after the 7 year hiatus) at it's best, but before Gohan surpassed Goku. That's what comes to mind when I think of Z, that time between Freeza and the Cell Games.

My second dream team would be the Buu arc team. With Goku, Vegeta, Teen Gohan (he is 16, so he is a teen), Kid Goten, Kid Trunks and maybe Piccolo. The "original" Dream Team but older and with extended family, and also much stronger. That's why I like the Hirudegan movie as much. It has every character trying to contribute.
But I prefer the regular SS dream team because like the OP pointed out, they were all pretty close in power, using similar forms. My second dream team has SS, SS2, SS3, fusion, and Gohan's Ultimate "form", making them pretty far a part from each other.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:28 pm

For the original manga, the Cell arc's cast was perfect. Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Trunks, Piccolo, Tien, & Krillin. The power scaling was still somewhat normal so that all 7 could contribute to the fight.

For modern DB, I'd have Goku, Vegeta, Freeza, Buu, Hit, Jiren, & maybe Granola on a team. Each member brings something different to the table which would make a team fight very exciting.

Wizard Sesame
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wizard Sesame » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:52 pm

My dream team has been and always will be the Saiyan Arc Z Fighters. I would love to see another story with Piccolo, Gohan, Tenshinhan, Krillin, Yamcha, and Chiaotzu fighting as a team once more.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:28 pm

Movie #6 feels like a 'Dream Team' film, too. Seeing Gokuu, Kuririn, Yamcha, Tenshinhan and Chaozu team up to attack the Shinseiju was a really cool moment and makes me wish the combat scenes had better mixed together better instead of being so separated.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:40 pm

Wizard Sesame wrote: ↑Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:52 pm My dream team has been and always will be the Saiyan Arc Z Fighters. I would love to see another story with Piccolo, Gohan, Tenshinhan, Krillin, Yamcha, and Chiaotzu fighting as a team once more.
Well, there's the Moro arc. I liked the detail that all the Saiyan arc Z-Warriors, and only them, give energy to Vegeta, the guy who ordered most of their deaths.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:00 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: ↑Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:40 pm
Wizard Sesame wrote: ↑Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:52 pm My dream team has been and always will be the Saiyan Arc Z Fighters. I would love to see another story with Piccolo, Gohan, Tenshinhan, Krillin, Yamcha, and Chiaotzu fighting as a team once more.
Well, there's the Moro arc. I liked the detail that all the Saiyan arc Z-Warriors, and only them, give energy to Vegeta, the guy who ordered most of their deaths.
You are the only person other than me to seemingly notice that and get hype about it. Yamcha and Chaozu, No Roshi bullshit.
It works here because Manga vegeta is such less of a dick than anime vegeta, it's gonna be weird when they adapt this.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:51 pm

You know, if we're going for a dark cynical action-comedy, the kind that's not afraid to make light & comedy of killing innocent people and causing needless havoc and talking about grooming & delicacies, there is one other Dream Team on the brain that can work for a few spin-off shorts
The Yabanverse

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:49 pm

TobyS wrote: ↑Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:00 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: ↑Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:40 pm
You are the only person other than me to seemingly notice that and get hype about it. Yamcha and Chaozu, No Roshi bullshit.
It works here because Manga vegeta is such less of a dick than anime vegeta, it's gonna be weird when they adapt this.
Hey man, I probably only noticed it after you pointed it out in the manga thread or somewhere. :lol:

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:02 am

Well to be honest my faviort team has always been been the classic Dragon Ball one, though I would have a few additions

Goku - The leader
Bulma - The scientist
Krillien - The wing man
Yamcha - The warrior with bad luck
Tien - The no-nonsense warrior
Choatzu - The oddball
Chi-Chi - The fiery female warrior
Roshi - The mentor
Piccolo - The Wildcard

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:52 pm

I had the Saiyan arc + Movie 3 propaganda'd into my brain as my initial exposure to the series, so the earliest "dream team" I've ever had probably resembled the predictable:
Son Goku, Son Gohan, Piccolo, Kuririn, Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Chaozu, Yajirobe

Over the years my idea of an "ideal cast" resembles something more like Fist of the North Star: a web of rivalries, grudges, and beefs. The logic of these stories is so often that grudges fuel character growth and/or prowess on the battlefield, because they gotta talk with their fists, etc etc. Or at least it kinda seems that way in a certain light.

So with Son Goku at the core, Tenshinhan, Piccolo, and Vegeta are the main villains who are driven to become better martial artists, through their attempts to bully Goku, and their getting caught up in the next guy's attempt to bully Goku. Goku has a grudge against Ten, and a grudge against Piccolo, and they both have grudges against him. Moreover, Ten would likely wish to get Piccolo back after the Daimao arc. Vegeta has a grudge against Goku, and both Ten and Piccolo hold grudges against Vegeta after the Saiyan arc. With these four alone there's a lot of room for dynamic rivalries and shit.

But now Super got me thinking about Freeza, and him following the same path, holding a grudge against Goku. Ten wasn't on Namek so he won't have the same grudge against Freeza that Piccolo and Vegeta do after getting caught up his wake, but that's fine. Not everyone has to link up with everyone else. Regardless. Thinking about Freeza got me thinking about Tao Pai Pai, who has a grudge against Goku and Ten. With Ten not connecting to Freeza, him having another connection here, who still connects to Goku.

I'm inclined to try and add two more, to have the same number as my original lineup, but it's a relatively decently equal toss up between a whole lotta characters. Yamcha has reason to hold a grudge against Tenshinhan and Vegeta. Kuririn against Piccolo and Freeza. Gohan against Vegeta and Freeza. If we add Cell in a similar vein to Freeza and Tao Pai Pai, then he has reason to have a grudge against Gohan. I dunno. I'd probably add Yamcha and Kuririn.

So now I've got a "Dream Six" of:
Son Goku, Yamcha, Kuririn, Tao Pai Pai, Tenshinhan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Freeza

A nice mix of Turtle School, Crane School, and Land Shark School.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:53 am

Zephyr wrote: ↑Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:52 pm I had the Saiyan arc + Movie 3 propaganda'd into my brain as my initial exposure to the series, so the earliest "dream team" I've ever had probably resembled the predictable:
Son Goku, Son Gohan, Piccolo, Kuririn, Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Chaozu, Yajirobe
Same, give or take Yaji and Roshi from movie 2.
Matches Malone wrote: ↑Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:28 pm For the original manga, the Cell arc's cast was perfect. Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Trunks, Piccolo, Tien, & Krillin. The power scaling was still somewhat normal so that all 7 could contribute to the fight.
Koitsukai wrote: ↑Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:52 pm I have two Dream Teams.
The android arc-SS-Movie 8 team is my favourite. I think it encapsulates DBZ perfectly. The many blond-haired fighters facing impossible threats were all over my school folders. I remember seeing Goku, Vegeta, Trunks, Gohan in SS and also Piccolo with his cape and silly hat everywhere, I guess that moment in Z got marketed the most around here. From figurine albums, to folders and cups and bedsheets lol.
I think it's the first portion of Z (the second one would be after the 7 year hiatus) at it's best, but before Gohan surpassed Goku. That's what comes to mind when I think of Z, that time between Freeza and the Cell Games.

My second dream team would be the Buu arc team. With Goku, Vegeta, Teen Gohan (he is 16, so he is a teen), Kid Goten, Kid Trunks and maybe Piccolo. The "original" Dream Team but older and with extended family, and also much stronger. That's why I like the Hirudegan movie as much. It has every character trying to contribute.
But I prefer the regular SS dream team because like the OP pointed out, they were all pretty close in power, using similar forms. My second dream team has SS, SS2, SS3, fusion, and Gohan's Ultimate "form", making them pretty far a part from each other.
All of the above are what I consider Golden age Dragon Ball. If I could only have one era to expand on, it would be the Cell era, from Trunks first appearance to the end of the Cell games. The powers seemed to be the best balanced from the previous arc and the next arc and everyone was still relatively useful and the humans could even be competitive if they utilized the right techniques and training methods. The group dynamics were most interesting during this time too with no one's roles being cemented yet. There was still a lot of tension in the group too and I miss that so much. This might be when the show still felt most like a group of rivals banding together instead of just Goku and friends.

Zephyr wrote: ↑Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:52 pm Over the years my idea of an "ideal cast" resembles something more like Fist of the North Star: a web of rivalries, grudges, and beefs. The logic of these stories is so often that grudges fuel character growth and/or prowess on the battlefield, because they gotta talk with their fists, etc etc. Or at least it kinda seems that way in a certain light.

So with Son Goku at the core, Tenshinhan, Piccolo, and Vegeta are the main villains who are driven to become better martial artists, through their attempts to bully Goku, and their getting caught up in the next guy's attempt to bully Goku. Goku has a grudge against Ten, and a grudge against Piccolo, and they both have grudges against him. Moreover, Ten would likely wish to get Piccolo back after the Daimao arc. Vegeta has a grudge against Goku, and both Ten and Piccolo hold grudges against Vegeta after the Saiyan arc. With these four alone there's a lot of room for dynamic rivalries and shit.
This is definitely what I wanted. If there's ever a reboot this could for sure be expanded upon. This is one of those dynamics I play around with in my own Dragon Ball Reboot fanfic. I like when they all retain their pride and ambition.
But now Super got me thinking about Freeza, and him following the same path, holding a grudge against Goku. Ten wasn't on Namek so he won't have the same grudge against Freeza that Piccolo and Vegeta do after getting caught up his wake, but that's fine. Not everyone has to link up with everyone else. Regardless. Thinking about Freeza got me thinking about Tao Pai Pai, who has a grudge against Goku and Ten. With Ten not connecting to Freeza, him having another connection here, who still connects to Goku.
I think Yugioh does this kinda well between the anime and games. Every duelist has certain grudges which lead to interesting matches and rematches. All the stuff with Joey is golden.
I'm inclined to try and add two more, to have the same number as my original lineup, but it's a relatively decently equal toss up between a whole lotta characters. Yamcha has reason to hold a grudge against Tenshinhan and Vegeta. Kuririn against Piccolo and Freeza. Gohan against Vegeta and Freeza. If we add Cell in a similar vein to Freeza and Tao Pai Pai, then he has reason to have a grudge against Gohan. I dunno. I'd probably add Yamcha and Kuririn.

So now I've got a "Dream Six" of:
Son Goku, Yamcha, Kuririn, Tao Pai Pai, Tenshinhan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Freeza

A nice mix of Turtle School, Crane School, and Land Shark School.
They don't really even have to be perfect one-to-one rivalries/grudges. Krillin could have something to prove against everyone at some point for always being called weak. Tien could become a little bit xenophobic with all the powerful new alien fighters muscling in on his territory and hold a grudge against all aliens.

I like these though. My Dragon Ball 3K (3 Kingdoms) story would actually be very similar. The earth schools have the same rivalries as the main show but now both King Piccolo and King Vegeta are subjugated by Frieza and both conquer in his name. The King's have developed a rivalry, of course but their factions are at a bit of a standstill, instead using some Cold War-esque proxy war tactics. The Kings themselves battle vicariously through their sons whose rivalry is even more embittered than their fathers. Both Kings also plot to depose the Cold Faction of Frieza, his father, and maybe Cooler (prob not Cooler, IDK). This time Kami also has an offspring, Nail, who is another rival of Piccolo's. Vegeta may also have a Tsufurian rival. And, of course, Goku is in the center of this three way power struggle. I actually have forgotten to mention that the earthlings aren't so powerless compared to the main series. They are legitimately a faction that are able to rival the others though as underdogs. Kami and Goku's presence does help out a lot, but Mutaito and his students along with the students of his students provide a sizeable force of fighters who specialize in the mystical arts.

The factions all flip, scatter, change, and reform throughout as the story evolves, but the premise of it always started with rivalries.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:00 pm

I honestly like the Goku, Yamcha, Adult Gohan, Tenshinhan, Chaozu, Piccolo, Kuririn, MANGA Vegeta (becuse anime vegeta is still an inssufferable twat) team we saw in the Moro arc. I'd like to see 18 and Fat Buu added to that mix I think.
I'd be indifferent to 17 too if he want's to tag along.
But I'd be happy to sacrifice seeing the last three if we got the first bunch.
I'd quite enjoy Vegeta not being around too. He's had too much screentime for someone who isn't Goku.

That's the team I'd like to see going everywhere and doing everything. Give the non Gokus henchmen to fight each time, even offscreen if pacing needs, and I'd be a happy man.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.