Android 18 is the most popular female character in Japan according to this recent popularity poll

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Android 18 is the most popular female character in Japan according to this recent popularity poll

Post by DestructoDisc » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:34 am

Found this image on gamefaqs. Happy late international woman's day!

precita
Banned

Re: Android 18 is the most popular female character in Japan according to this recent popularity poll

Post by precita » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:06 pm

Surprised she got a lot more votes than Bulma, but then again a 2,510 sample pool isn't really that many people.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Re: Android 18 is the most popular female character in Japan according to this recent popularity poll

Post by Alruneia » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:18 pm

I have to agree, ~2500 people is not a lot when holding a poll like this. At that scale, something as simple as where you put the poll can heavily influence the results, so the poll might not fully represent the actual general opinion. If I set up a series of polls to determine who the most well-liked female DB character is (ignoring that I'd have to do it as a set of 1v1 matchups, which is awkward, and also ignoring that Facebook pages apparently can't hold polls anymore), I'd get a sample size of 200-300 people and the results would likely be very different. So I'd like to see a much bigger poll than this take place, with tens of thousands of people voting, so that we can get a better idea of what the general opinion is.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:19 pm

I feel that's been clear for a long time. She's cool, she's sexy, she's the full package.
We the ones

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:30 pm

precita wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:06 pm Surprised she got a lot more votes than Bulma, but then again a 2,510 sample pool isn't really that many people.
I mean people were linking here and other sites popularity polls where only 500 people voted and people were flipping tables when they saw Paragus, Bardock and some others ranked so high. More than 2000 votes for a poll that I assume was only up for one day should be taken more into account, especially since the results aren't really all that surprising. 18 was more popular than Bulma in the 2004 poll too.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:33 pm

I think 18 being the closest to an active female fighter from U7 does it.
And the ToP being sorta recent... and the cell saga being the peak in popularity of Z.

I'm surpised Bulma didn't do better tho. I wonder if it had been pre ToP wether bulma would have won.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:45 pm

Congratulations Android 18.

Being one of the many villains who is redeemed and becomes an ally, but being notably a female member, gives her enough character depth and strength to stand out.

It was nice that the other ladies made it to the poll too.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:19 pm

Makes a lot of sense. #18 is a great character and would only be even more popular if given more spotlight. She really should have been fighting on the frontlines this whole time. She's certainly my favorite female character in the franchise and just one of my all around favorite characters due to her personality, design and cool factor.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:31 pm

#18 exudes CBT energy, so I'm glad to see her at the top of a poll. I just wish we would get to see her in more scenarios.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:19 pm

What's CBT?
We the ones

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:48 pm

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:19 pm What's CBT?
I'll let a doctor explain it.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:50 pm

Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is a type of psychotherapeutic treatment that helps people learn how to identify and change destructive or disturbing thought patterns that have a negative influence on behavior and emotions.
Don't worry about the other stuff, I'm sure you'll get by just fine with this definition.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:11 pm

i need the pic of Its Wednesday Or As Like To Call It but with the Wikipedia article for cbt.

anyway, not super surprising but given the kinda insanely small sample size, i wouldn't put a done of thought into it. weird to see Mai of all people above pan but i guess she had a role in super ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:59 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:48 pm
I'll let a doctor explain it.
Wait so Android 18 wants to torture testicles and penis?
We the ones

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:10 pm

Alruneia wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:50 pm
Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is a type of psychotherapeutic treatment that helps people learn how to identify and change destructive or disturbing thought patterns that have a negative influence on behavior and emotions.
Don't worry about the other stuff, I'm sure you'll get by just fine with this definition.
Well she did become less destructive and violent... but I don't know if she got therapy to help with that.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:56 pm

No surprise here.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by flashback0180 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:19 am

Launch at #3 ? Really? She hasn't been on air for what 30+ years

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:32 am

flashback0180 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:19 am Launch at #3 ? Really? She hasn't been on air for what 30+ years
Yeah, I'm surprised Launch got that high. She's even higher than Chi-Chi, Mai, and Pan.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:28 am

I think Bulma has gone through so many character redesigns that people sort of have a weakened image of her in their head. #18 has had the same iconic facade for like three decades.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:33 am

I don’t know why anyone is surprised 18 would be more popular than Bulma. Toriyama and Toei tried their damnedest to make Bulma as unlikable as possible all the way until she finally cools down in the Android arc...where she barely does anything outside by that point outside of being the techie when the plot needs it.

Of course 18, the hot badass female fighter character who marries the lovable relatable dork would be way more popular.