How *Low* Can PLs Go?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

How *Low* Can PLs Go?

Post by theherodjl » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:44 am

There's always discussion about how high PLs are and how much they might raise...but what about the inverse? To what degree can PLs drop down to and how low can it possibly drop? I recall that Umigame was listed as something like 0.001 but is that because he's weak or because he was just dropping his Ki(when another filler scene demonstrated that he can fight off a group of ordinary humans pretty easily)?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Re: How *Low* Can PLs Go?

Post by Yasai9001 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:47 am

theherodjl wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:44 am There's always discussion about how high PLs are and how much they might raise...but what about the inverse? To what degree can PLs drop down to and how low can it possibly drop? I recall that Umigame was listed as something like 0.001 but is that because he's weak or because he was just dropping his Ki(when another filler scene demonstrated that he can fight off a group of ordinary humans pretty easily)?
If we are going strictly by the main storyline, then it's ultimately due to the fact that he's weak.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:40 pm

The turtle's power level was a filler scene, it should be higher than that I think.

Anyway, since all life has ki, the lowest possible PL would be for something like a microbe, which I doubt that any kind of scouter or power meter would even be able to register.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:59 pm

The trained warriors can reduce their ki down to 0. Gohan and Krillin made themselves completely undetectable by scouters, and Cell made himself undetectable to Piccolo and the others while he went from town to town absorbing people. Even a power level of 0.001 is detectable, and Goku can easily sense small roaches in Super, so these characters would need to be lowering their power level to absolute 0 in order to be undetected.

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yasai9001 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:57 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:40 pm The turtle's power level was a filler scene, it should be higher than that I think.

Anyway, since all life has ki, the lowest possible PL would be for something like a microbe, which I doubt that any kind of scouter or power meter would even be able to register.
I could have sworn his battle power was scanned in the manga, too.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:02 am

I'm pretty certain you can have minus power levels.

I dont know if scouters can read them, but i think they must exist. Imagine someone like Moro at deaths door. In the moment where he is completely drained, and he is absorbing others ki, it would have to technically register as a negative number, no?

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:25 am

I guess if you try to read Whis’ battle power, the scouter will show he has zero, right?

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:31 pm

As others have explained, it could theoretically be as low as what is necessary to preserve life. Ki is the fundamental essence of creation in Dragon Ball. You need it to continue surviving. It seems that without it you wind up like Vegeta after he emitted all of his ki in his kamikaze manoeuvre against Buu.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:31 pm

Yasai9001 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:57 pm
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:40 pm The turtle's power level was a filler scene, it should be higher than that I think.

I could have sworn his battle power was scanned in the manga, too.
Nope. After Roshi questions the results of the scanning between him and Kuririn, Bulma just detects two other strong battle powers on earth. One of 250 (Tenshinhan) and another at 177 (Yamucha)

Kai did keep Turtle being scanned though.

The Akira Toriyama cut, my ass.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:34 am

Hugo Boss wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:25 am I guess if you try to read Whis’ battle power, the scouter will show he has zero, right?
I don't think that it'd read zero so much as just not scan him at all to even register a battle power. It'd be like trying to scan a rock or a car. It's just not giving off a signal to which a reading could even begin to be taken, let alone give a value.