Age 889 & thoughts on Goku Jr. era

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

granddragoonknight
Banned

Age 889 & thoughts on Goku Jr. era

Post by granddragoonknight » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:01 am

what do you guys think of the goku jr timeline

CaJae10

Re: Age 889 & thoughts on Goku Jr. era

Post by CaJae10 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:44 am

I like it, there's potential since most of the main characters are dead. I would like to see it adapted into Super or just make its own story.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:00 am

It could be interesting to see how's the dragon world doing after a 100 years. GT's timeline can be sort of dull a century later, with only Pan left and having lost contact with Bulma's family. I always wondered what happened a couple of decades before that Tenkaichi Budokai and why both saiyans families drifted apart.

I think I would be more interested in seeing the main continuity after a 100 years, though. Maybe Vegeta would be the acting Hakaishin, or some saiyan migration from U6 to U7 helped re-grow that race.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:52 pm

I always believe the only characters that are still alive are Pan, Dende, Mr. Popo, #17, #18 and Muten Roshi. #17 and #18 are cyborgs, so they may not age at all.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:28 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:52 pm I always believe the only characters that are still alive are Pan, Dende, Mr. Popo, #17, #18 and Muten Roshi. #17 and #18 are cyborgs, so they may not age at all.
Pretty sure it's stated they age, just slower. I could be wrong

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:12 pm

I like it. It's clean slate. Everything can be done with it. But as much as I like Goku Jr, I don't really like Vegeta Jr, but I get why he is there.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

granddragoonknight
Banned

Post by granddragoonknight » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:43 pm

Trouser wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:12 pm I like it. It's clean slate. Everything can be done with it. But as much as I like Goku Jr, I don't really like Vegeta Jr, but I get why he is there.
why don't u like vegeta jr

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat May 01, 2021 3:52 pm

Seems rather boring actually. Pan hasn't kept in contact with the Briefs, probably hasn't achieved SSJ and probably has a boring family if they aren't interested enough to watch Goku Jr. compete in the Budokai. Goku Jr. is also pretty meh for me as a character.

And having perfect facsimiles of Goku and Vegeta 100 years from now, when I've already had my fill of current Goku and Vegeta fills me with an indescribable existential dread. I'd rather move far far away from these characters to truly start fresh. Maybe a kid Kai or something as the main character or a demon.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

granddragoonknight
Banned

Post by granddragoonknight » Sat May 01, 2021 5:19 pm

BWri wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:52 pm Seems rather boring actually. Pan hasn't kept in contact with the Briefs, probably hasn't achieved SSJ and probably has a boring family if they aren't interested enough to watch Goku Jr. compete in the Budokai. Goku Jr. is also pretty meh for me as a character.

And having perfect facsimiles of Goku and Vegeta 100 years from now, when I've already had my fill of current Goku and Vegeta fills me with an indescribable existential dread. I'd rather move far far away from these characters to truly start fresh. Maybe a kid Kai or something as the main character or a demon.
why a kai or a demon

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat May 01, 2021 5:34 pm

granddragoonknight wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:19 pm
BWri wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:52 pm Seems rather boring actually. Pan hasn't kept in contact with the Briefs, probably hasn't achieved SSJ and probably has a boring family if they aren't interested enough to watch Goku Jr. compete in the Budokai. Goku Jr. is also pretty meh for me as a character.

why a kai or a demon
It's something different than what we've seen. Plus, most of the fanbase prefers that spiky haired humanoid look and you can also do that with these two races while possibly figuring out some new visual powerups for them. I myself would prefer a Namekian and human set of protags with a Saiyan as a major antagonist/rival/eventual ally, but I feel most of the fanbase would reject that.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

granddragoonknight
Banned

Post by granddragoonknight » Sat May 01, 2021 8:30 pm

BWri wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:34 pm
granddragoonknight wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:19 pm

why a kai or a demon
It's something different than what we've seen. Plus, most of the fanbase prefers that spiky haired humanoid look and you can also do that with these two races while possibly figuring out some new visual powerups for them. I myself would prefer a Namekian and human set of protags with a Saiyan as a major antagonist/rival/eventual ally, but I feel most of the fanbase would reject that.

they could accept it if done right

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun May 02, 2021 10:04 pm

I used to wonder what a sequel series that focuses on Goku Jr. would be like. I used to think that maybe there could be some good mileage out of Goku Jr. meeting and training with the Muten Roshi. Looking back though, I don’t think something like that would’ve been particularly exciting. The general aesthetic of that era seems a little boring. If you’re gonna have a Dragon Ball story that takes place in the distant future, I think you should at least go with some kind of neat futuristic aesthetic. The Goku Jr. era just seems so mundane...

The fact that characters like Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr. aren’t even in DBH seems like a telling sign that no one is really interested in that era.

granddragoonknight
Banned

Post by granddragoonknight » Mon May 03, 2021 9:35 am

WittyUsername wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:04 pm I used to wonder what a sequel series that focuses on Goku Jr. would be like. I used to think that maybe there could be some good mileage out of Goku Jr. meeting and training with the Muten Roshi. Looking back though, I don’t think something like that would’ve been particularly exciting. The general aesthetic of that era seems a little boring. If you’re gonna have a Dragon Ball story that takes place in the distant future, I think you should at least go with some kind of neat futuristic aesthetic. The Goku Jr. era just seems so mundane...

The fact that characters like Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr. aren’t even in DBH seems like a telling sign that no one is really interested in that era.
well there are plenty of ways of making that timeline interesting outside of a retelling goku's adventure through goku jr plus I think toei wouldn't want to use them due to there being far too many goku and vegeta look likes

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon May 10, 2021 7:35 am

My only issue with it is that it's 100 years later. There's no clean way to envision what happened. There's no way that Goku Jr. is Pan's actual grandson -- maybe her great-grandson if she and Goku Jr.'s parent were older when having kids.

But, there are questions of what happened to his parents and even his direct grandparents if Pan is his great-grandmother... from both sides!

When I was young, I wrote a fan story that continued the events of GT. A big character was Pan and Trunks' son (yeah, I know...). But, thinking about it, I couldn't account for roughly 50 years in order to have Goku Jr. fit into that. The point of this story is that it just made me think about the 100 year gap, which is pretty implausible. All of DB-GT doesn't encompass 100 years.

Like, let's say Pan has a kid at 35, then her kid has a kid at 35, and then that kid has Goku Jr. at 30, then Goku Jr. would roughly be 10 by the end of that 100 years. But, that's if Goku Jr. is Pan's great-great-grandson. And then you have to wonder what happened to the entire family aside from Pan.

So, it just seems like Toei went, "Oh, yeah; 100 years later... just 'cause."

But anyway, that aside, I like the idea. It was refreshing, to be honest. I enjoyed that little story and there's a lot of potential for a reboot there.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Thu May 20, 2021 6:45 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:35 am My only issue with it is that it's 100 years later. There's no clean way to envision what happened. There's no way that Goku Jr. is Pan's actual grandson -- maybe her great-grandson if she and Goku Jr.'s parent were older when having kids.

But, there are questions of what happened to his parents and even his direct grandparents if Pan is his great-grandmother... from both sides!

When I was young, I wrote a fan story that continued the events of GT. A big character was Pan and Trunks' son (yeah, I know...). But, thinking about it, I couldn't account for roughly 50 years in order to have Goku Jr. fit into that. The point of this story is that it just made me think about the 100 year gap, which is pretty implausible. All of DB-GT doesn't encompass 100 years.

Like, let's say Pan has a kid at 35, then her kid has a kid at 35, and then that kid has Goku Jr. at 30, then Goku Jr. would roughly be 10 by the end of that 100 years. But, that's if Goku Jr. is Pan's great-great-grandson. And then you have to wonder what happened to the entire family aside from Pan.

So, it just seems like Toei went, "Oh, yeah; 100 years later... just 'cause."

But anyway, that aside, I like the idea. It was refreshing, to be honest. I enjoyed that little story and there's a lot of potential for a reboot there.
From what I can find online, Pan is Goku Jr.'s great-great grandmother. That means Pan's line had kids at some consistently young ages. My great-great-grandparents were probably born between the 1840s and 1860s (I know nothing about them, but the great-grandparents were born in the 1880s and 1890s), meaning they'd have averaged around 140 years old when I turned 10 in '97.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.