Full Potential

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Full Potential

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:53 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that a characters full potential is always evolving as they train? It feels like that is the case with Saiyans at least.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Full Potential

Post by Lionel » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:13 pm

Of course it does. The degree of power and the echelons we witness are ever escalating as Goku and Vegeta continue moving up the food chain. Characters like them need to physically progress if they want to have a chance to remain viable.

It's why potential unlocks such as the Chonshinsui or the Grand Elder's ability only stay contemporaneously viable until something new comes along that prompts them to push the characters even higher. If a hard limiter actually existed then we wouldn't be seeing the scales getting portrayed now.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:32 pm

Lionel wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:13 pm Of course it does. The degree of power and the echelons we witness are ever escalating as Goku and Vegeta continue moving up the food chain. Characters like them need to physically progress if they want to have a chance to remain viable.

It's why potential unlocks such as the Chonshinsui or the Grand Elder's ability only stay contemporaneously viable until something new comes along that prompts them to push the characters even higher. If a hard limiter actually existed then we wouldn't be seeing the scales getting portrayed now.
I figured so. I imagine it won't be long before Broly surpases Goku and Vegeta in their new god forms.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:38 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:32 pm
Lionel wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:13 pm Of course it does. The degree of power and the echelons we witness are ever escalating as Goku and Vegeta continue moving up the food chain. Characters like them need to physically progress if they want to have a chance to remain viable.

I figured so. I imagine it won't be long before Broly surpases Goku and Vegeta in their new god forms.
Probably, assuming he actually makes a reappearance sometime in the manga or in a new movie. I don't care for him much myself so I haven't been paying a whole lot of attention to him.

Maybe Broly should train with Freeza. Both of them are mutanish wellsprings of overflowing potential and strength. Imagine the possibilities of them working together. Maybe they could turn Ultra Instinct into a laughing stock and keep the devaluation of forms tradition alive.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:56 pm

Lionel wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:38 pm

Probably, assuming he actually makes a reappearance sometime in the manga or in a new movie. I don't care for him much myself so I haven't been paying a whole lot of attention to him.

Maybe Broly should train with Freeza. Both of them are mutanish wellsprings of overflowing potential and strength. Imagine the possibilities of them working together. Maybe they could turn Ultra Instinct into a laughing stock and keep the devaluation of forms tradition alive.
I'd prefer it if Broly didn't train with Frieza. But I don't see why Broly wouldn't reappear given how popular he is.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:22 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:56 pm

I'd prefer it if Broly didn't train with Frieza. But I don't see why Broly wouldn't reappear given how popular he is.
Doesn't fit his characterisation, you think? To be fair, I have a difficult time imagining Freeza "lowering" himself to the point of collaborating with a Saiyan to improve himself as though this being were an equal of his.

Is there anything besides Broly epitomising the limitless power and ferocity of the Saiyans that makes him popular? Prior to the re imagining of his character in the latest movie he wasn't that much more interesting than someone like Goten, in my opinion.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:37 pm

Lionel wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:22 pm

Doesn't fit his characterisation, you think? To be fair, I have a difficult time imagining Freeza "lowering" himself to the point of collaborating with a Saiyan to improve himself as though this being were an equal of his.

Is there anything besides Broly epitomising the limitless power and ferocity of the Saiyans that makes him popular? Prior to the re imagining of his character in the latest movie he wasn't that much more interesting than someone like Goten, in my opinion.
I think its mainly his limitless power and ferocity. But also his dual nature that makes him so fascinating. On the one hand he is normally peaceful but when his fighting blood is aroused he becomes more like a proper Saiyan.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:01 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:37 pm

I think its mainly his limitless power and ferocity. But also his dual nature that makes him so fascinating. On the one hand he is normally peaceful but when his fighting blood is aroused he becomes more like a proper Saiyan.
Well it makes more sense to me now. Although I confess to being morbidly interested now if this trademark ferocity of his would still manifest if somehow the amygdala in his brain were impaired. Does his emotional counterpart to Vegeta's pride still manage to preternaturally reveal itself in spite of the biological source of it not transmitting the necessary signals for releasing the hormones related to those emotions.

I'm surprised more people haven't attempted this kind of approach when it comes to battling a Saiyan like Broly's inherent power.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:08 am

Lionel wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:01 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:37 pm

Well it makes more sense to me now. Although I confess to being morbidly interested now if this trademark ferocity of his would still manifest if somehow the amygdala in his brain were impaired. Does his emotional counterpart to Vegeta's pride still manage to preternaturally reveal itself in spite of the biological source of it not transmitting the necessary signals for releasing the hormones related to those emotions.

I'm surprised more people haven't attempted this kind of approach when it comes to battling a Saiyan like Broly's inherent power.
Hmm that is a very good question. But seriously its never a good idea to mess with the brain.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:41 am

I always thought it was because he was the first evil Super Saiyan that the cast fought. You have this iconic powerup that is known for being legendary and unbeatable and always saving the day in the past, but now it's an enemy. That was impactful at the time at least.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat May 01, 2021 9:40 pm

People love uncontrollable rage monsters.