tournament of power trunks

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

granddragoonknight
Banned

tournament of power trunks

Post by granddragoonknight » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:42 am

i'm watching super now and i noticed that during the whole recruitment ordeal why didn't they have beerus wake buu up or i don't know recruited pikkon, or future trunks to the tournament cause to me the whole frieza thing i still think was a stupid move even though we did get brolly out of it i just wished the writers used their heads when it came to the whole recruitment thing

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: tournament of power trunks

Post by Grimlock » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:45 am

We wouldn't even have tournaments if the writers "used their heads" more often. :roll:

Anyway, yeah, Trunks would obviously be a better choice than some of the members that actually managed to go in. But it was preferred that he lived with himself, isn't that much more satisfying?
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:25 am

Recruiting dead soldiers was a last-minute thing, hardly something they were interested in doing, because there was only one spot left and the idea of teamwork was at play. Paikuhan does not exist in the main continuity, and even if he would, he'd be so much weaker than Freeza, so it would've been a bad choice to go for a SS tier and not a god tier fighter.

Beerus should be able to wake up Buu anytime, and if not, Whis should be able to, he can wind back time, accelerate a birth... waking up Buu should be a piece of cake for an angel. Buu at the ToP was a missed chance, for sure.

Trunks not being part of the ToP is dumb if you consider how strong he got, although I guess they were trying to stay clear of time travel, Beerus and Whis were against it after all. There was an in-universe reason to not call him up.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:41 pm

My headcanon is Buu would be disqualified anyway for his kaioshin remnants.

Time travel is illegal so Trunks wouldn't be allowed, if not U7 getting wiped out for Trunks existence in the first place.

Otherwise U6 is allowed 10 time displaced Jirens.

Pikon is filler and doesn't exist.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:45 pm

If Whis had used his discernment of the universe and its populations then surely he could have deduced that the Galactic Patrol had at least three fighters in their custody who could have bolstered Team U7's ranks amply. Imagine having Moro available to amplify everyone's power or 7-3 with the copied strength and abilities of one of the stronger Pride Troopers.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:20 pm

Yeah, as a big fan of every version of Trunks (not Kid Trunks, DBS made me hate him... Well, not "hate" but I'm tired of Trunks' kid version) I think it was missed opportunity. Future Trunks SHOULD be part of U7 team roster. Goku and Vegeta helped him with his problem, so it's only natural that (taking into considearation his character and everything) he would want to repay them in some way. He is strong as hell, with his asspull, not explained and not named in universe Rage form he is easily in TOP #5 (not counting GoDs and Broly because he came after ToP) with only Goku and Vegeta being stronger than him.
His interactions with #17 would be gold, considering their past. And come on... Who wouldn't want to see more of Future Trunks? He was THE ONLY character who succesfully stoled the precious screen time from boring duo of Goku and Vegeta...
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:44 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:25 am Recruiting dead soldiers was a last-minute thing, hardly something they were interested in doing, because there was only one spot left and the idea of teamwork was at play. Paikuhan does not exist in the main continuity, and even if he would, he'd be so much weaker than Freeza, so it would've been a bad choice to go for a SS tier and not a god tier fighter.

Beerus should be able to wake up Buu anytime, and if not, Whis should be able to, he can wind back time, accelerate a birth... waking up Buu should be a piece of cake for an angel. Buu at the ToP was a missed chance, for sure.

Trunks not being part of the ToP is dumb if you consider how strong he got, although I guess they were trying to stay clear of time travel, Beerus and Whis were against it after all. There was an in-universe reason to not call him up.
Paikuhan isn't even SS tier. He's way to lower on the base tier.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:47 pm

Future Trunks definitely would've been stronger than Krillin, Tenshinhan, Roshi, Android 18, Piccolo, and Gohan combined...but would he actually be more intelligent & resourceful than them in the type of fight that the ToP was??? The point was to eliminate an opponent rather than overpower an opponent to win like in the battles that Trunks had been in. Trunks isn't exactly used to such conditions so it might have been a gamble to include him, something that probably could not be afforded.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:34 pm

Let's not forget that time travel and messing with timelines is a huge anathema to the gods and angels. Allowing dead fighters is one thing, but if Daishinkan saw that a universe had recruited a fighter from another timeline, who knows how he might have reacted?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

granddragoonknight
Banned

Post by granddragoonknight » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:01 pm

to be fair they do allow the time patrol to exist

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:32 am

Obviously, why wouldn't they? Someone has to oversee and protect history.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:58 am

granddragoonknight wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:01 pm to be fair they do allow the time patrol to exist
While it might be introduced to the main continuity in the near future, it remains videogame-only, so it wouldn't apply to DBS.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:17 am

I think Beerus would refuse to disturb the balance of time.

Pikkon is really cool and could have been introduced.....but he was just made into Hit. So no real point.

Buu should have been in it. Buu is so underused. Such disrespect.

I am somewhat glad Frieza is brought back as it means he wasn't a complete waste of time but I really wish he just replaced someone else.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:38 pm

The emphasis on how technique and experience > power during the recruitment phase. FT was always a simple brawler. He seemingly was sword competent and did his burning attack which looked technical at the time. However it was clear he wasn't very intelligent in battle as shown when he thought himself superior to Vegeta against Cell.

That being said he seemed to develop better battle technique in his subsequent years as when sparring with Vegeta waiting for the time machine to be repaired. Using the USS form in a novel way to land a hit on Vegeta. He was then show to learn Mafuba rapidly, and also intuitively perform a Genki Dama.

One could argue still his tournament familiarity would still be non existent, which was the tenous draw for Roshi and co experience (even though Goten and Trunks entered a tournament before).

I do think the argument of the time travel not being allowed would probably prevent this. But then you could also argue how could the gods even stick to agreeing with time travel = forbidden, when you now have a second Zeno who embodies the abomination of time travel since he was from an alternate future timeline. I mean with how the Zenos are, the future one could simply go "you're from my timeline that's cool I''ll allow it"

It is just a reminder of how dumb it was to send Trunks and Mai to live with themselves like they're Paul Rudd. - Maybe if they'd suggested that two identical beings could portara permanently to somehow integrate themselves. But they're just living in a world where there is a constant reminder of their failure since everyone there is not their versions of them no matter how they try. Like I get present bulma treating kid trunks different to future trunks since their experiences are different enough to regard them differently. But it would certainly be far more odd to have two identical versions. At least in the main timeline even if the people aren't Trunks and Mai's timelines versions of everyone it's not a reminder of their failure. Its a reminder of his android success.

Also final point of my rant. It would've been great to have seen Trunks and grown up Gohan fighting together as an homage to Future Gohan. They sorta tried to push the trunks admiration for present Gohan with that ep of him meeting his family. But it just always struck me as odd that they didn't push the Gohan Trunks bond in the androids arc. Heck we even see more of it possibly with Gohan and Kid Trunks in a brief (pun intended) encounter when Gohan is gettinng bulma to make his costume. The look of joy and familiarity kinda suggest Gohan has visited bulma enough to have a lasting impact on kid trunks + probs playing with Gohan when playing with Goten Too.

.....final final point. I especially hate the manga bonus segment where Trunks is planning on staying but chats to Gohan who assumes he is about to return to the future, (as Gohan hadn't really been fully aware of what had happened) so then changes his mind and decides to go to the alternate timeline, so odd and stupid. He goes to live a life where he will be on the outside since the exact same version of him already lives that life, JUST BECAUSE IT AVOIDS GIVING A SLIGHTLY AWKWARD EXPLANATION TO GOHAN.