Does Cowardice And Subsequent Flight Cut Power By Half Or More???

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Does Cowardice And Subsequent Flight Cut Power By Half Or More???

Post by theherodjl » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:47 am

When Cui chickened out and attempted to run back to Freeza, his power seemed to drop massively - to the point of Vegeta needing only a couple hits and one technique to literally reduce him to ash. There was only a 33% difference in their powers yet it seemed much more like a 2x difference(at least) based on how easily Vegeta dispatched Cui so the question is: does giving up the fight out of fear and attempting to flee cut a fighter's power by half or more? After all, Vegeta had been at the same power as Cui just a month prior and Goku with the Kaio-ken x3 was around the same level Vegeta would eventually reach. However, the difference in their powers during that fight didn't seem close to how it would be with Cui & Vegeta so is there significant Ki loss on account of being a coward? Or is there a "bravery bonus" to Ki if the weaker fighter remains determined and gives it their all?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Re: Does Cowardice And Subsequent Flight Cut Power By Half Or More???

Post by Yuji » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:45 am

Yes. Yuuki (courage) is a component of Ki, alongside Shouki (right-mindness) and Genki (vigor/health).

viewtopic.php?t=14734

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:02 am

Forget Eastern mysticism, crippling fear make you more vulnerable irl too. That's why cornermen spend so much time keeping their fighter calm and why one bad loss can derail an entire career. Look at what happened to Paige VanZant after her lose to Rose Namajunas. She fights maybe once a year and never gets out of first gear anymore.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:36 pm

By shonen logic, yes.

In real life, fear lends people wings and extra power.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:49 pm

Yuji wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:45 am Yes. Yuuki (courage) is a component of Ki, alongside Shouki (right-mindness) and Genki (vigor/health).

viewtopic.php?t=14734
I agree with this post. Courage is a fundamental component of ki. You could make the argument that Gohan suffered from this impairment when he lost usage of one of his arms against Cell. Nappa may have suffered from a similar condition relating to his Shouki when his frustration and anger got the better of him during his fight against Goku.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:21 am

Lionel wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:49 pmGohan suffered from this impairment when he lost usage of one of his arms against Cell.
I just realized that conveniently fits exactly into this conundrum. Gohan stated that his power had been reduced by half when he got injured by Cell's attack but then, his power rose enough to match Cell's kamehameha when he was full of determination once more.
When you think about it, its makes a lot of sense for a SSJ2 to drop down to a SSJ in terms of power by losing the will to fight. If a Saiyan can't summon up the courage & drive to do what they do best, they ought to drop back down a notch.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:33 pm

I would assume so. In the same way that lowering your guard can make you susceptible to attacks from opponents much weaker than oneself, it makes sense that being in a state of fear and disarray would trigger the same kind of weakness; your body and mind are not focused on the battle and therefore your BP takes a substantial hit.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:06 pm

We see this in the Rof arc, krillin's fear weakens him greatly. but as soon as he centres himself he realises how much stronger he is.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:15 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:36 pm By shonen logic, yes.

In real life, fear lends people wings and extra power.
Adrenaline is definitely a real thing, but that isn't always what happens. There are rare stories of people lifting trucks or fending off bears when under extreme duress, but what is far more common is people being crippled by fear and oftentimes freezing up completely.