Merus during Goku Blacks' rampage

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Krillin1994
Regular

Merus during Goku Blacks' rampage

Post by Krillin1994 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:26 pm

Obviously Merus never got involved in the Zamasu/Goku Black arc because he hadn't been conceived of at the time.

But in universe he was in the galactic patrol and would've presumably been so during this rampage still since Moro seemingly never got released in the FT timeline.

Is there a feasible reason for why he didn't get involved? Only thing I can think of is that his angel training finished by that point and he was reassigned elsewhere possibly as a new attendant for someone. Perhaps when a new GoD is implemented then they get a new attendant. So Toppo finally being ready to take over as U11 GoD had Merus assigned to him. - A big logic leap I know but if he was in U7 he would not have stood idly by.

Also Whis clearly was aware of his presence in the universe. But in the manga version of FT arc he makes a point of saying to Goku there are no allies whatsover left for him. Why would he not have mentioned him as a possibility. For the anime he seemed to speak of his own superior sealing technique compared to Mafuba. Which he was talking about like he could've done without getting removed. So it's not unreasonable to think Merus may too know that technique and it wouldn't technically being him using his power.

TobyS
I Live Here

Re: Merus during Goku Blacks' rampage

Post by TobyS » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:16 am

Either he got reassigned or already got erased for something else, or perhaps he did fight zamasu and was erased before he could come up with a way to bypass his immortality. He may not have known the sealing technique at that stage in his training or got to fight for long enough to realise he should have used it. Maybe he sealed zam got erased then black released him...

Perhaps he deactivated when the god of destruction from whatever universe he was from/destined for died like their attendant did. Or perhaps trainees deactivate when all other angels are deactivated.

There's a few possibilities so I wouldn't consider it a plot hole personally.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:50 am

He got himself erased trying to defend the ningens. This is how I imagine things went down:

1) Zamasu, in his quest to rid the multiverse of all ningens, attacks the Galactic Patrol HQs.

2) He starts killing ningens of the Patrol like Jaco.

3) Merus has a strong sense of justice, in a way he's very similar to Zamasu. Just like Zamasu couldn't stand by and watch the ningens ruin the world, Merus wouldn't stand by and watch Zamasu kill his Patrol comrades, so he'd try to fight Zamasu. He engages Zamasu in combat.

4) Since Merus broke Angel law and intervened in the defense of ningens, he is erased from existence. And since Zamasu was immortal, he got himself erased in vain.

5) Zamasu then goes on to kill all the remaining members of the Patrol as well as the prisoners, he could have possibly blown up the entire HQs to destroy everyone in one strike.

Either way you can easily headcanon why neither Merus nor Moro appeared in the Future Trunks arc, as I just did.

Zamasu also made it clear that he and Black were the only Gods left in the multiverse, they withheld all the Divine power, which means that Merus had to have been dealt with eventually. Zamasu is extremely methodical and careful, he wouldn't ignore the threat posed by an Angel in-training.

But why couldn't Merus seal Zamasu using the OP sealing hax that Whis alluded to? Simple, because Merus was just an apprentice, so he might have not known about that Angel sealing technique.

You can also headcanon it by saying that Merus became the Angel attendant of Toppo, the Future timeline is set 20 years into the future so Belmod might have already abdicated in favour of Toppo. That's also how I headcanon Toppo's absence from the Timeline. He died when Zamasu killed the U11's Kai.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:26 am

The most plausible scenario is that he got called back and might be doing nothing in angel limbo with the 6 remaining angels from the 6 erased universes. Future U7 isn't as interesting as the present one, so for his sake he might've been relocated.

The second most plausible scenario is that he got a job in U11 to attend Hakaishin Toppo. Or on some brand new universe. Toppo's training can't last forever, I guess, eventually he either replaces Vermoud or has an interview to work on another universe.

The least likely to me is Merus getting erased. There's nobody around in the universe yet to force him to break his neutrality (he's been "fighting" villains on a daily basis), not even Broly. He's skilled enough to deal with every threat without breaking a sweat or having his daddy raise an eyebrow. He has plenty of gadgets too, he can easily work around his impediments considering the low level of the threats.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:33 pm

Its possible that Merus didn't even exist, period. Daishinkan may have just chosen not to have created Merus in Trunks' timeline altogether. It would certainly fit with the whole "doom and gloom" atmosphere of that world and how there just was never any chance of permanent salvation from dark forces.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think: