Say a Saiyan were to wish for immortality, would they still get a Zenkai Boost?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Say a Saiyan were to wish for immortality, would they still get a Zenkai Boost?

Post by Yasai9001 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:26 am

I've seen how Zamasu's immortality works in the Anime, though I forget if it's the exact same in the Manga. Assuming a Saiyan had that kind of immortality, would he/she never be able to get a Zenkai Boost?

I personally imagine they wouldn't but what do you guys think? I only believe an immortal Saiyan could have a zenkai boost if their body still processed the damage being done to them and once regenerated, their body automatically became stronger. Though if their immortality is like Zamasu's in the anime, then you can throw that possibility right out the window.

I take into consideration that since Zamasu used the Super Dragon Balls to wish for immortality and thus, became immune entirely because of the set's great powers, but that's just a potential theory and I know not for sure.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Say a Saiyan were to wish for immortality, would they still get a Zenkai Boost?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:42 am

Yes. People often misunderstand what Immortality means, Immortality is not invulnerability to taking damage, it is shown that Immortal beings can indeed take damage. In the anime Future Zamasu had his face blown up by Goku, in the manga Fused Zamasu was torn apart by Vegeta's attack, etc. etc. etc. So the body would "register" these hits as damage and the Zenkai boost would kick in. This is what happened to Fused Zamasu after all. Despite being Immortal, he was able to grow stronger via Zenkai by HITTING HIMSELF with his own Light attack (he went from being overpowered by SSB Goku, to overpowering SSB Vegito...).

So if a Saiyan wished for immortality they would indeed retain their Zenkai boosts, this is essentially what Fused Zamasu is after all. A Saiyan hybrid with immortality and Zenkai boosts.

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Say a Saiyan were to wish for immortality, would they still get a Zenkai Boost?

Post by Lionel » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:58 am

It depends on the notion of immortality. If the body is entirely invulnerable then I can't see how it would be feasible or even neurochemically realisable for the body to understand that it's about to die. On the other hand, a destructible body with an inability to perish to disease or age with the added benefit of regeneration I could see netting a zenkai as it's still theoretically possible for the body to be obiterated, effectively killing the person in question.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:30 pm

Yes, I’m pretty sure that was Vegeta’s main objective of immortality. That without having to fear death he would eventually surpass Freeza once he got enough zenkai
boost

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:53 pm

Yes, sure, why not? you still can be on the brink of death while being immortal, I mean, it's recovering from a fatal injury what grows them stronger, and that's what immortality does to a body.
What wouldn't be eternal, as their life is, would be the amount of zenkai boosts they can get. Sooner or later the body would plateau and no longer provide zenkai boosts, they would not receive never-ending zenkai boosts just because they can't die.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:55 pm

Yeah, sure. Or at least, I don't see why not.

The Saiyan healing boosts come from being badly injured and then recovering from it. If you're immortal, then you could potentially be brought closer to death than anyone else but still survive when nobody else would. Then as long as you still heal from it (like with Zamas-style immortality), you'd presumably reap quite a large power boost from it.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yasai9001 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:05 pm

I appreciate all the responses regarding the topic; it seems pretty much everyone so far happens to be on the same page as to how this would work and I can't disagree because I have agreed with the notion; my dilemma mainly stemmed from if immortality would provide the immortal person being totally invulnerable, which would then nullify their inherent trait of benefitting from a Zenkai boost to begin with.

But yeah, thank you, guys.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:42 pm

This was Vegeta's original strategy for eventually beating Freeza in the Namek Arc and given what happened with Merged Zamasu, I guess he had the right idea.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:34 pm

We still have no idea how immortality would work for a being that can't regenerate from almost literally nothing. If you get vaporized how tf are you immortal lol
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yasai9001 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:07 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:34 pm We still have no idea how immortality would work for a being that can't regenerate from almost literally nothing. If you get vaporized how tf are you immortal lol
The thing is that immortal beings can not be vaporized; when Son Goku asked Beerus about Hakaing Zamasu, who was immortal, Beerus said that he is incapable of destroying immortal beings completely. So with that said, they can't be vaporized at all.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:56 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:34 pm We still have no idea how immortality would work for a being that can't regenerate from almost literally nothing. If you get vaporized how tf are you immortal lol
By regenerating after getting vaporized like Zamasu did against Jiren.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sat May 01, 2021 8:32 pm

Yes, but by the Androids and Cell, it seemed like zenkai boosts had become negligible.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat May 01, 2021 10:55 pm

Seems like they can't. Why wouldn't Zamasu wish for Black to be immortal too? It seems to me that the immortality would negate the Saiyan body's ability to grow stronger near death and that is why they chose not to make both bodies immortal.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun May 02, 2021 2:56 am

Probably not. You can't be put into a position of near death when the wounds start healing before you even drop to the ground from the hit.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun May 16, 2021 3:08 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:42 am Yes. People often misunderstand what Immortality means, Immortality is not invulnerability to taking damage, it is shown that Immortal beings can indeed take damage. In the anime Future Zamasu had his face blown up by Goku, in the manga Fused Zamasu was torn apart by Vegeta's attack, etc. etc. etc. So the body would "register" these hits as damage and the Zenkai boost would kick in. This is what happened to Fused Zamasu after all. Despite being Immortal, he was able to grow stronger via Zenkai by HITTING HIMSELF with his own Light attack (he went from being overpowered by SSB Goku, to overpowering SSB Vegito...).

So if a Saiyan wished for immortality they would indeed retain their Zenkai boosts, this is essentially what Fused Zamasu is after all. A Saiyan hybrid with immortality and Zenkai boosts.
It appears Saiyan Power only kicks in at its fullest while fighting and being put into a near death state, other than that damaging ones self I don’t think leads to that much of a boost. Fused Zamasu doing that was more of a rage boost if anything.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun May 16, 2021 6:04 am

Aim wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:08 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:42 am Yes. People often misunderstand what Immortality means, Immortality is not invulnerability to taking damage, it is shown that Immortal beings can indeed take damage. In the anime Future Zamasu had his face blown up by Goku, in the manga Fused Zamasu was torn apart by Vegeta's attack, etc. etc. etc. So the body would "register" these hits as damage and the Zenkai boost would kick in. This is what happened to Fused Zamasu after all. Despite being Immortal, he was able to grow stronger via Zenkai by HITTING HIMSELF with his own Light attack (he went from being overpowered by SSB Goku, to overpowering SSB Vegito...).

It appears Saiyan Power only kicks in at its fullest while fighting and being put into a near death state, other than that damaging ones self I don’t think leads to that much of a boost. Fused Zamasu doing that was more of a rage boost if anything.
Like Goku Black he empowered himself after hurting himself. Black also got a massive boost in ep. 64 only after stabbing himself in the palm of the hand, which allowed him to turn the Energy blade into an Energy scythe. It's the same concept, obviously he used his rage to grow stronger but he also harmed himself to accomplish that goal.

Zenkai boosts kick in after getting in a near-death condition, but that was never the case for Black. He got a massive Zenkai boost just by getting kicked by Goku a few times after all. Black is the outlier, which means that Fused Zamasu (who is comprised of Black) is also an outlier.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun May 16, 2021 9:40 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:04 am
Aim wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:08 am

Like Goku Black he empowered himself after hurting himself. Black also got a massive boost in ep. 64 only after stabbing himself in the palm of the hand, which allowed him to turn the Energy blade into an Energy scythe. It's the same concept, obviously he used his rage to grow stronger but he also harmed himself to accomplish that goal.

Zenkai boosts kick in after getting in a near-death condition, but that was never the case for Black. He got a massive Zenkai boost just by getting kicked by Goku a few times after all. Black is the outlier, which means that Fused Zamasu (who is comprised of Black) is also an outlier.
Goku Black is different, he went from a bit above post tournament SS3 Son Goku level to tanking hits from SSGSS Vegeta in base form, he somehow was able to just keep getting stronger breaking through each glass ceiling. No other Saiyan has displayed this kind of power.

I’d argue the Scythe thing was him turning anger into power like he mentioned, he hurt himself to produce anger.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Tue May 18, 2021 2:37 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:30 pm Yes, I’m pretty sure that was Vegeta’s main objective of immortality. That without having to fear death he would eventually surpass Freeza once he got enough zenkai
boost
Came here to write this. Yes, I always thought that this was exactly what Vegeta was planning since heading to Earth. And he would eventually just pester him to death.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-