Times when Goku got stronger during the fight before Super

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Times when Goku got stronger during the fight before Super

Post by nickzambuto » Sun May 16, 2021 3:30 pm

Goku definitely got stronger while fighting Raditz. He was massively outclassed by Raditz, but after a long fight and taking critical damage, Goku didn't become tired and weaker. Instead he gained the strength to pin Raditz in place while Piccolo charged the cannon. I know Raditz was also injured by Gohan but Goku was far more injured, yet he managed to somewhat close the strength gap.

Other instances are the two Piccolo fights. Goku started off being dead even with Daimao, but after a long fight and receiving critical damage, he developed the power to penetrate Daimao with a single punch. Goku also became stronger while fighting Junior if you pay very close attention, because he was eventually able to absorb the full explosion of Piccolo's power (when Piccolo razed the whole island). This only happened after a long fight where Goku received lots of damage. He eventually adapted to the point where Piccolo's biggest attack was not able to damage him.

Do you agree that the concept of Goku becoming stronger during the fight existed in the original manga? Or it it just something that Super invented?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Times when Goku got stronger during the fight before Super

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun May 16, 2021 5:11 pm

He got stronger during the fight against Freeza... unless for some reason unlocking SSJ doesn't count.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon May 17, 2021 11:49 am

He got stronger in his first match against Vegeta as well, as he couldn’t put out kaioken x3 before their fight.

There are other instances that Goku gradually discovered his true strength, but weren’t as clear cut as his fight against Vegeta and Freeza. For example, his matches against Roshi, Tenshinhan and Piccolo Jr. Goku learned techniques that almost gave him the win, if not guaranteeing them, like in Piccolo’s case.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri May 28, 2021 3:08 pm

Hugo Boss wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:49 am He got stronger in his first match against Vegeta as well, as he couldn’t put out kaioken x3 before their fight.

There are other instances that Goku gradually discovered his true strength, but weren’t as clear cut as his fight against Vegeta and Freeza. For example, his matches against Roshi, Tenshinhan and Piccolo Jr. Goku learned techniques that almost gave him the win, if not guaranteeing them, like in Piccolo’s case.
Not so much a "couldn't" but rather he "shouldn't" but the situation was dire and he did it anyway.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri May 28, 2021 5:29 pm

I don't think there's any direct confirmation of Goku having actually improved his physical strength in the midst of a fight -- discounting transformations of course. We've seen him adapt to and counter the abilities of his opponents but that's a trait anyone should theoretically be able to acquire. One example of another character performing similarly is Tenshinhan copying the Kamehameha after witnessing it once and using it against Jackie Chun. Speaking of which, why he didn't bother to come up with his own variant of the Hasshuken used by Goku I can't understand. It's possible the outside reasons had to do with Toriyama wanting to move the fight along to its climax but Tenshinhan should have logically been able to devise his own Sixteen Arm Fist in retaliation.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat May 29, 2021 9:23 am

Goku vs Omega Shenron although it's unclear what exactly happened there as base Goku was able to tank everything Omega threw at him before killing him with spirit bomb. There's too many unexplained things in that ending so we can't be sure if it was his own power or something else that made him so powerful out of sudden.

But even before that, he was able to resist agianst Omega's ultimate attack in base form for a while.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta