Could a dead Saiyan get Zenkai?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

Could a dead Saiyan get Zenkai?

Post by super michael » Mon May 17, 2021 5:15 pm

Lets say when Goku was on earth in the Buu Saga, if Majin Vegeta left Goku near dead would he have got a Zenkai? At that point in time Goku was dead.

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Could a dead Saiyan get Zenkai?

Post by Lionel » Mon May 17, 2021 5:30 pm

Putting aside the fact that zenkais had ceased to be means of substantially increasing a Saiyan's power over time, I think it would depend on whether the body physiologically is able to recognise its brush with death and provide the necessary stimulation for inducing power increases or if a dead state makes the zenkai condition inherently impossible as it's paradoxical to be "near death" while being dead.

I'm going to say "no" that zenkais are still a thing but we see that increasing one's strength is still possible as Goku did so twice both during the Saiyan arc and between the events of Cell and Buu.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon May 17, 2021 6:26 pm

Yeah, I think they could. Not in that particular case of Goku, though, zenkais weren't relevant anymore by then.

In those 7 years, Goku's body got stronger while being dead, so zenkai or not, his body reacted to certain stimuli as when being alive, even unlocking new forms, implying death isn't that much different from being alive, except for not needing to eat or sleep, you can even still die once more, before the real, beyond-DBs death.
Zenkais are part of saiyan biology, the body releases a certain protein, hormone, or whatever, when the body sustains important injuries, which results in power growth. Dying shouldn't impede that process, the body still works similarly to before.
The near death thing seems to be a way of putting it rather than the actual threshold for the power growth to kick in, Vegeta wasn't near death, he wasn't dying after Reecoome, yet that senzu zenkaid the hell out of him.

Goku got hella strong when training with Kaiosama, and that was during the peak of zenkais, he got 20x stronger and became able to triple that. I doubt he got no zenkais at all in order to surpass Nappa and trash non-ape Vegeta.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue May 25, 2021 11:27 pm

Zenkais are still a thing but they are no longer noticable for the main characters.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.