Why do Oozaru have pointed ears?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Why do Oozaru have pointed ears?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed May 26, 2021 10:10 pm

Saiyans have rounded, human ears:

Gorillas have rounded ears: Image

But a Saiyan gorilla has pointy elf-like ears? Image
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: Why do Oozaru have pointed ears?

Post by theherodjl » Thu May 27, 2021 12:41 am

I think its possible that Saiyans might also have some degree of canine lineage in them. Why else would they have wolf-like snouts in their Oozaru forms when hominids do not possess such a feature either? Add in things like Oozaru clearly being based off of a werewolf as well as Goku initially displaying a heightened sense of smell and Saiyan ancestry becomes a little more interesting.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Shobijin 小美人

Post by Shobijin 小美人 » Thu May 27, 2021 6:32 am

Not only that, why does Bubbles the monkey have pointed ears when monkeys in Dragon Ball have had rounded ears up to that point? Is he just some kind of space monkey, or is he related to Saiyans in some way? Is he a miniature-Saiyan and has already been in his Oozaru form the entire time?? I smell a conspiracy! What is he hiding?

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Thu May 27, 2021 6:42 am

Well for starters Oozaru are not apes, their monkeys. In fact thats what their name means, Great Monkey.

Several species of monkey have pointed ears.

Many have more pronounced muzzles then Apes and Humans

and the biggest point, they have a tail, something most but not all monkeys, yet no apes or humans possess.
theherodjl wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:41 am I think its possible that Saiyans might also have some degree of canine lineage in them. Why else would they have wolf-like snouts in their Oozaru forms when hominids do not possess such a feature either? Add in things like Oozaru clearly being based off of a werewolf as well as Goku initially displaying a heightened sense of smell and Saiyan ancestry becomes a little more interesting.
I don't believe it has anything to do with were-wolfs, and more to do with a a part of the Journey to the West were Sun Wukong goes berserk juring on the night of a full moon. Also as I pointed out above, the elongated muzzle is something found in monkey physiology also. Even Goku's sense of smell is out of place give that some research points to monkeys possible having a better sense of smell then humans.

So the Oozaru really is what it is, a great big, violently destructive, monkey.

Shobijin 小美人

Post by Shobijin 小美人 » Thu May 27, 2021 9:47 am

Okay, well I guess that kills my "Bubbles is a mini-Saiyan" theory. :lol:

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri May 28, 2021 6:01 pm

Lord Frieza wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:42 am Well for starters Oozaru are not apes, their monkeys. In fact thats what their name means, Great Monkey.
It means both. English is one of the very few langauges to have two completely separate words for these things and this massive hangup on how they can't be used interchangably.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Sat May 29, 2021 7:58 am

Adamant wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:01 pm
Lord Frieza wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:42 am Well for starters Oozaru are not apes, their monkeys. In fact thats what their name means, Great Monkey.
It means both. English is one of the very few langauges to have two completely separate words for these things and this massive hangup on how they can't be used interchangably.
Toad and FrenchFrog, too, are interchangeable in many languages but English speakers are fixated on them being different