Was Goku really reenacting the fight with his grandpa in #94 or was it a coincidence?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Was Goku really reenacting the fight with his grandpa in #94 or was it a coincidence?

Post by Yuji » Sat May 29, 2021 9:00 pm

I'm curious if anyone has gone move through move to check if he's really mimicking his actions from 30 years ago, or if he's just shadow boxing and it coincidentally looks like the same moves.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Was Goku really reenacting the fight with his grandpa in #94 or was it a coincidence?

Post by JulieYBM » Sat May 29, 2021 9:58 pm

It was likely Nagamine or someone having fun with the storyboard.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

TheQuestioner

Re: Was Goku really reenacting the fight with his grandpa in #94 or was it a coincidence?

Post by TheQuestioner » Sat May 29, 2021 10:20 pm

I don't know what the intention of the creators was (although the similarities were probably deliberate since it would be a pretty big cosmic fluke if they weren't), but to me, it does seem like Goku was reenacting the fight. The movements were 1:1, he even moved back and forth a bit after he did his first punch. It looks really awkward but it mirrors Grandpa Gohan blocking his punch.
"We don't have time to be fancy."

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:47 pm

TotallyNotMark made a note of this in his review of Super.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063