How do you explain this?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

How do you explain this?

Post by Mireya » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:52 pm

So Vegeta in his laybed stated Freeza destroyed the planet and almost all the Saiyajins since he feared the surging of a SSJ... Yet he let Vegeta live, when this latter was the most likely one to become a SSJ?

baconisbacc

Re: How do you explain this?

Post by baconisbacc » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:08 pm

Thanks to some good luck, Vegeta was off planet when the Extermination occurred. Frieza realized that Vegeta could be one of his most powerful lackeys. Of course since Frieza despises the Saiyans, he would have killed Vegeta, sooner or later. If Vegeta never came to Earth and all that stuff never happened, Frieza would have probably killed Vegeta anyways, he just let him live for longer so as to serve his purpose.
"YOU SAY I'M ARROGANT, I SAY DAMN RIGHT. THAT'S PRIDE. PRIDE IN THE SAIYAN I AM."
Tenkaichi Tag Team Pro

Ardent Aigis Simp

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:44 pm

Freeza was afraid of the Saiyans not only because of the Super Saiyan legend but because they could team up and defeat him. Handling one (well, three) Saiyan by his lonesome would guarantee Vegeta's growth would be stunted under his supervision.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:39 am

I like what the others have mentioned. Vegeta was a unique individual whom Freeza seemed to harbour a peculiar sentimental attachment for; possessive and exploitative so it's not in the least positive in nature but it's an attachment none the less. Why else would he have made such a bold proposal to Vegeta during the ROF arc if there wasn't an interest in the Saiyan Prince? Freeza could apparently tolerate Vegeta so long as he didn't step out of line and kept to his allotted role in the PTO.

ayakuweb

Post by ayakuweb » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:12 pm

Everyone's replies are great.

I also think that Vegeta (and I guess Nappa and Raditz) was just a natural at conquering planets so Freeza kept him in his employ.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:53 am

Freeza did believe in the legend but he didn't really know much about a Super Saiyan itself. The last SSJ to appear was a thousand years earlier and barely any details about that Saiyan lasted the test of time. Freeza probably assumed that letting a few Saiyans live wasn't too much trouble as the odds of a a SSJ appearing was greatly diminished with only 3 left.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:27 am

Freeza always had Vegeta covered, he even had Namek Goku (the strongest saiyan ever at that time, using a a godly technique that multiplied his power) covered...

I guess, Freeza believes the saying: keep your friends close but your enemies closer.

blacksymbiote
Beyond Newbie

Post by blacksymbiote » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:34 am

Simply put, Frieza never had a reason to worry about a few saiyans he knew to be no match against him. He mentions thinking the only saiyan who might be able to become a SSJ would be Vegeta, but his level was nowhere near enough. Frieza was more concerned about a mass saiyan uprising when he killed the others.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:52 am

Vegeta was the strongest saiyan ever and he was stuck at 18,000. Vegeta likely would have been assassinated had he reached a level to rival the Ginyu Force let alone Frieza.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:03 pm

Freeza feared the whole saiyan race rising up. One lone saiyan, no matter how talented, is not a threat. Even if Vegeta's power level started growing exponentially, Freeza would probably have eliminated him as soon as he surpassed Freeza's first form.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:15 pm

You can't forget that Vegeta was an absolute peon before the insane power jumps on Namek. There was nothing to indicate that he would be any trouble to Frieza at all. Vegeta's clash with Goku on Earth changed everything and put Vegeta on a path of the Super Saiyan. Before that, he may have naturally died not even reaching Captain Ginyu's level of power. If he ever got to Ginyu's power level, he'd likely find himself on Frieza's kill list. I'm not sure Frieza would care prior to that.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:35 pm

He didn't kill Vegeta because Beerus didn't tell him to :P

BWri

Post by BWri » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:05 pm

Jack Bz wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:35 pm He didn't kill Vegeta because Beerus didn't tell him to :P
Oof, low blow.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-