How big of a powergap is needed to catch the destructo disk?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

How big of a powergap is needed to catch the destructo disk?

Post by DiscountDabi » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:18 pm

We have seen The Destructo Disk Threaten to Harm people far stronger than the person who threw it. Most notably when Krillin used it to Cut off Frieza's tail. But we have only seen it caught in cannon once and thats when Jiren did it in the TOP.

My Question is, How Big of a Gap in Power is Required to make the Destructo Disk Non-Lethal?

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: How big of a powergap is needed to catch the destructo disk?

Post by Peach » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:39 pm

Krillin tried to use the destructo disc on Perfect Cell, and it disintegrated when it hit Cell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhx2olE7Z9k

It seems Namek level characters (like Krillin) can't scratch Perfect Cell level characters when they're powered up.

I see it a lot like Tien's Tri Beam. Namek level fighters can at least injure Semi-Perfect level fighters with it. But anyone beyond that, and the character needs to be truly off guard for it to scratch them.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:53 pm

Peach wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:39 pm Krillin tried to use the destructo disc on Perfect Cell, and it disintegrated when it hit Cell:

It seems Namek level characters (like Krillin) can't scratch Perfect Cell level characters when they're powered up.

I see it a lot like Tien's Tri Beam. Namek level fighters can at least injure Semi-Perfect level fighters with it. But anyone beyond that, and the character needs to be truly off guard for it to scratch them.
Cell wasn't injured by Tenshinhan's Shin Kikoho, he was just pushed down by it. IIRC, the technique was described once as having a lot of "pushing" power behind it rather than being able to legitimately damage opponents on par with Cell.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:06 am

Not that big of one if you consider Yunba repelling Krillin's barrage of Kienzans. Alternatively, I would like to think that Yunba simply used the rotational kinetic energy of his motion to alter their trajectory as he can be seen afterwards avoiding Kienzan discs and at one point getting cut by one.

Who can say for certain? We never seen a character outright catching or destroying a Kienzan in the manga. Yunba arguably comes the closest but he seems to be just changing their trajectory.
theherodjl wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:53 pm
Peach wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:39 pm Krillin tried to use the destructo disc on Perfect Cell, and it disintegrated when it hit Cell:

Cell wasn't injured by Tenshinhan's Shin Kikoho, he was just pushed down by it. IIRC, the technique was described once as having a lot of "pushing" power behind it rather than being able to legitimately damage opponents on par with Cell.
Actually, Cell did display some superficial blemishes and scratch marks after recovering from the barrage. It's not like Frost who came out of the Kikoho completely unfazed and steady in position.

The Daizenshuu characterises it as having "formidable destructive power" appropriate for the Crane School's penchant for killing.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:41 am

Lionel wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:06 am Not that big of one if you consider Yunba repelling Krillin's barrage of Kienzans. Alternatively, I would like to think that Yunba simply used the rotational kinetic energy of his motion to alter their trajectory as he can be seen afterwards avoiding Kienzan discs and at one point getting cut by one.

Who can say for certain? We never seen a character outright catching or destroying a Kienzan in the manga. Yunba arguably comes the closest but he seems to be just changing their trajectory.
theherodjl wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:53 pm

Actually, Cell did display some superficial blemishes and scratch marks after recovering from the barrage. It's not like Frost who came out of the Kikoho completely unfazed and steady in position.

The Daizenshuu characterises it as having "formidable destructive power" appropriate for the Crane School's penchant for killing.
Yeah going by strict power level nerd shit Ten's feat here is already improbable, so I don't get why people say it didn't hurt Cell, he's clearly experiencing a level of physical discomfort that he'd be feeling pain along with it, it's just not giving him a nosebleed or ripping off limbs.
I think they want to lowball it as much as possible because it irritates them with it's perceived impluasibility.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.