So why do the potaras and fusion dance give Goku/Vegeta different fusions?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

So why do the potaras and fusion dance give Goku/Vegeta different fusions?

Post by precita » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:24 pm

They're the same two people, why do the potaras and fusion dance create two different beings? Even though the method is different, shouldn't they both always become the same fusion since it's the same two people merging?

Like if Trunks and Goten use potaras, why wouldn't they just become Gotenks again, instead of say Trunkten or something? Why do different methods even produce different fusions when it's the same two people?

Goku da Silva

Re: So why do the potaras and fusion dance give Goku/Vegeta different fusions?

Post by Goku da Silva » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:11 pm

precita wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:24 pm They're the same two people, why do the potaras and fusion dance create two different beings? Even though the method is different, shouldn't they both always become the same fusion since it's the same two people merging?

Like if Trunks and Goten use potaras, why wouldn't they just become Gotenks again, instead of say Trunkten or something? Why do different methods even produce different fusions when it's the same two people?
You should consider just the potaras mate, since is the "true Dragon Ball", the rest is crap the companies made up to gain more many(DB Super, films and all the other trash). Regarding Dragon Ball (the original), they would probabily turn out Vegetto all the same.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:38 pm

I think when we're talking about such a magical and absurd concept as fusing two people together, all I have to really say is "why wouldn't it?". I'm surprised the same result ever happens more than once.

They're made from two entirely different magical techniques; that's enough reasoning for me. There's many different ways to combine two different things.

baconisbacc

Post by baconisbacc » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:08 pm

I always associated it with the differences in the creators of the different Fusions. Metamoran fusion is unique in the sense that it is a near perfect 50/50 of the two users, while the Potara seems to have one dominant personality. In the case of Gotenks, his fusion dance equivalent is a perfect mix, while the Potara would be more Trunks dominant(considering he is the more boisterous of the two.) As Jack said before me, its all magic, so why not :D
"YOU SAY I'M ARROGANT, I SAY DAMN RIGHT. THAT'S PRIDE. PRIDE IN THE SAIYAN I AM."
Tenkaichi Tag Team Pro

Ardent Aigis Simp

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:32 pm

Goku da Silva wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:11 pm
precita wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:24 pm They're the same two people, why do the potaras and fusion dance create two different beings? Even though the method is different, shouldn't they both always become the same fusion since it's the same two people merging?

You should consider just the potaras mate, since is the "true Dragon Ball", the rest is crap the companies made up to gain more many(DB Super, films and all the other trash). Regarding Dragon Ball (the original), they would probabily turn out Vegetto all the same.
Funny considering Toriyama was going to use Gogeta until he seen that Toei was using him for M12.

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:27 pm

The same way two parents can have different children. Since they are two different types of fusion, they can fuse differently and mix different traits. Potara took a lot of Vegeta's cockiness and Goku's light heartedness. Gogeta takes on the very serious side of Vegeta and the focused zen side of Goku.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:03 pm

lancerman wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:27 pm The same way two parents can have different children. Since they are two different types of fusion, they can fuse differently and mix different traits. Potara took a lot of Vegeta's cockiness and Goku's light heartedness. Gogeta takes on the very serious side of Vegeta and the focused zen side of Goku.
This is the most obvious answer to an answer ever. Even moseso when the previous most obvious answer is because "magic".
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:00 pm

Well when you look at Potara fusions, the general rule seems to be "Weaker fusée > Stronger fusée", as in the general personality and looks of the fusion will heavily lean towards the weaker fusée. See for example Fused Zamasu who looks 100% like Future Zamasu physically (the hair and colour scheme are the exception) and personality-wise (feasting on his own Immortality while Black scoffed at that power-up...). Look at Kefla too, she looks, acts, sounds, behaves like Caulifla did, I don't see any Kale in there aside from the hairstyle. Same thing for Vegito, if you look at how he behaves during the fights, there's way more Vegeta in there than Goku. For example, I could see Vegeta constantly taunting the opponent, like when he constantly mocked and made fun of Buu and Zamasu, but I can't imagine Goku behaving the same way.

So while the Potara gives priority to the weaker fusée, maybe the Dance does the opposite? Gogeta takes more of Goku's childish behaviour (at least looking at GT), Gotenks behaves more like Trunks, etc etc etc...

But Gogeta's personality really puzzles me... in his debut movie he was all serious and stuff and went straight for the kill, while in GT he was super childish and playful and just messed around with Omega Shenron with that prank attack. Then in Broly he seems to be kind of silly again and let Frieza live for some reason, even though Vegeta wanted to kill him... So it seems to me that Gogeta, unlike Vegito, leans more towards the Goku side.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:31 pm

Vegito is Goku and Vegeta. The writers do a good job of making Goku and Vegeta's fusion split down the middle.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:45 pm

Dragon Ball has always existed as a consequence of capitalism's failure to provide food and shelter for humans in exchange for unsustainable growth and acquisition of profit. Creating two different fusion characters to feed into that systemic desire for new profit avenues was bound to happen.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

kyppk
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kyppk » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:11 am

One argument is that the two forms of fusion share the similarities of Galick Gun and Kamehameha where the differences in form create different results despite both being energy beams in the end.

Another could be that the Fusion Dance is an imperfect version (not necessarily weaker, just imperfect) of Potara Fusion, and by that it would produce a different fighter in the same way an imperfect fusion dance doesn't produce the exact same imperfect fighter.

As a side note, when Zamasu claimed that Goku and Vegeta were copying the gods by fusing using Potara I thought it would have been way better both thematically and literally if they used Fusion Dance instead.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:19 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:00 pm Well when you look at Potara fusions, the general rule seems to be "Weaker fusée > Stronger fusée", as in the general personality and looks of the fusion will heavily lean towards the weaker fusée. See for example Fused Zamasu who looks 100% like Future Zamasu physically (the hair and colour scheme are the exception) and personality-wise (feasting on his own Immortality while Black scoffed at that power-up...). Look at Kefla too, she looks, acts, sounds, behaves like Caulifla did, I don't see any Kale in there aside from the hairstyle. Same thing for Vegito, if you look at how he behaves during the fights, there's way more Vegeta in there than Goku. For example, I could see Vegeta constantly taunting the opponent, like when he constantly mocked and made fun of Buu and Zamasu, but I can't imagine Goku behaving the same way.

So while the Potara gives priority to the weaker fusée, maybe the Dance does the opposite? Gogeta takes more of Goku's childish behaviour (at least looking at GT), Gotenks behaves more like Trunks, etc etc etc...

But Gogeta's personality really puzzles me... in his debut movie he was all serious and stuff and went straight for the kill, while in GT he was super childish and playful and just messed around with Omega Shenron with that prank attack. Then in Broly he seems to be kind of silly again and let Frieza live for some reason, even though Vegeta wanted to kill him... So it seems to me that Gogeta, unlike Vegito, leans more towards the Goku side.
Gogeta only behaved the way he did in GT for the same reason Vegetto behaved the way he did in Z - he was trying to provoke Omega Shenron into using that negative energy blast so he could offset the effects of the Dragon Ball energy or whatever the fuck that was (I haven't watched this fight in 17 years, I'm going off memory lol). Once that was done, he went straight for the kill. He just didn't realize the fusion would expire so quickly.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:41 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:19 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:00 pm Well when you look at Potara fusions, the general rule seems to be "Weaker fusée > Stronger fusée", as in the general personality and looks of the fusion will heavily lean towards the weaker fusée. See for example Fused Zamasu who looks 100% like Future Zamasu physically (the hair and colour scheme are the exception) and personality-wise (feasting on his own Immortality while Black scoffed at that power-up...). Look at Kefla too, she looks, acts, sounds, behaves like Caulifla did, I don't see any Kale in there aside from the hairstyle. Same thing for Vegito, if you look at how he behaves during the fights, there's way more Vegeta in there than Goku. For example, I could see Vegeta constantly taunting the opponent, like when he constantly mocked and made fun of Buu and Zamasu, but I can't imagine Goku behaving the same way.

Gogeta only behaved the way he did in GT for the same reason Vegetto behaved the way he did in Z - he was trying to provoke Omega Shenron into using that negative energy blast so he could offset the effects of the Dragon Ball energy or whatever the fuck that was (I haven't watched this fight in 17 years, I'm going off memory lol). Once that was done, he went straight for the kill. He just didn't realize the fusion would expire so quickly.
Ah I see, it's been years since I watched GT. Still don't you think he acted kind of childish in the Broly movie? For instance, he wasted a good dozens seconds thinking of a name for the fusion, instead of heading straight for Broly who was threatening to destroy the Earth. And naturally in DB every second counts, just look at the ToP arc. So idk he still strikes me as very childish and foolish in the Broly movie.

It can be argued that going for the kill on Broly with that final attack is something Vegeta would do (he's way less lenient with his opponents than Goku), but at the same time he also let Frieza go despite the fact that Vegeta wanted to kill him, so it's kind of a mess.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:17 pm

Gogeta and Vegito both act childish and serious. Vegito just talks down to the opponent while he does so and Gogeta is constantly having fun.

They're both equally split Goku and Vegeta.

Mr Perfect Cell

Post by Mr Perfect Cell » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:15 pm

Ones a More Magical Effective method from the Gods.
The other is a More Natural Traditional method .