Would Cell even go to hell?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Would Cell even go to hell?

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:37 pm

Insert Futurama "That just raises further questions!" quote here.

So, uhh... just how long do they hold onto souls before they cleanse them and toss them off for reincarnation?

Did Freeza get his same soul back? Was it never cleansed and reincarnated? Or was it already gone? Did they make a copy of it? An approximation?

Does maybe your soul get stuck into some kind of cold storage locker if you're dead but you keep your body under unusual circumstances, such as Goku being allowed to train in the afterlife, or Freeza being tortured by angels and his own personal isolation?

Is Cell's soul, if you theorize that he had/has one, still available intact, or was it already sent off to the dry cleaners?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:51 pm

One more: aren't there any brand new souls there anymore?

We know Buu's is on Uub now... and that somebody has or will have Moro's soul.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:18 pm

I seem to recall Goku stating in the anime version of Super that Freeza refused to allow his soul to be cleansed or something like that. Maybe I’m remembering wrong, but I distinctly remember that being the explanation Goku gives.

Honestly, everything about Dragon Ball’s afterlife is confusing and inconsistent, including the stuff written by Toriyama (namely the post-revival stuff).

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:26 am

Cell wouldn't go to hell because Cell did nothing wrong.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:06 am

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:18 pm I seem to recall Goku stating in the anime version of Super that Freeza refused to allow his soul to be cleansed or something like that. Maybe I’m remembering wrong, but I distinctly remember that being the explanation Goku gives.
I can’t remember the exact details either but yeah either Goku or Enma-Daio basically said Freeza refused cleansing.

Honestly, everything about Dragon Ball’s afterlife is confusing and inconsistent, including the stuff written by Toriyama (namely the post-revival stuff).
Until the post-revival stuff I can’t think of anything too contradictory in Toriyama’s work regarding the afterlife. The anime sure. Because all those villains got to keep their bodies in hell when they shouldn’t be. The villains also just sort of chill out in hell instead of going through some sort of cleansing process.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:28 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:06 am Until the post-revival stuff I can’t think of anything too contradictory in Toriyama’s work regarding the afterlife. The anime sure. Because all those villains got to keep their bodies in hell when they shouldn’t be. The villains also just sort of chill out in hell instead of going through some sort of cleansing process.
It’s pretty minor stuff when it comes to the pre-revival. Stuff like why Bubbles keeps his body when he dies and why Kaio is so certain that someone like Cell would be in the afterlife in the first place.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:49 pm

My headcanon for Cell was that Gero used an insect as a base (maybe a cicada) then gene spliced all the DNA that was collected. I always wondered why he had the appearance of a giant bug monster and didn't really look like any of the races he had DNA from. Maybe he kept his soul from whatever creature he was originally.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:02 am

Skar wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:49 pm My headcanon for Cell was that Gero used an insect as a base (maybe a cicada) then gene spliced all the DNA that was collected. I always wondered why he had the appearance of a giant bug monster and didn't really look like any of the races he had DNA from. Maybe he kept his soul from whatever creature he was originally.
Personally, I always felt that Cell looked a mutant, insectoid version of Freeza. He's got the jewel-esque head & sternum parts that Freeza has. The tail. Three-digit feet(Imperfect) that even make the same stepping noise as Freeza's. A similar head-shape between Freeza's 1st and 2nd forms and Cell's Semi Perfect & Perfect forms. The Freeza-white skin of Perfect Cell. The long, black finger nails. Purple blood. And becoming smaller after attaining two larger forms previously.
If you compare them from a physiological standpoint, Freeza & Cell have a whole lot more in common than Cell does with Goku, Vegeta, and Piccolo.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:03 am

Cell's spots remind of the spots on the namekian frog.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:51 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:29 pm
VegettoEX wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:38 pm

(For me, it's the Dragon World, and there's a known afterlife there, so that at least sets a baseline. We know souls exist since they're what get cleansed and reincarnated, so from there........ I guess I'd theorize that a really shitty person got reincarnated into what would become Cell's soul, assuming he got one, and I'm assuming he did, and it just continues from there?)
Well, this is scary. Freeza's soul was somebody else's before...
I really wish some official Dragon Ball media would toy around with the idea of reincarnation the lore has more often. That way we could see some new characters be "reincarnations" of older characters and such.
For example Goku meets a new Alien couple in Heroes or something that turns out to be the reincarnations of Gine and Bardock, instead of just bringing "different timeline" versions of those characters, etc.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:34 am

(For me, it's the Dragon World, and there's a known afterlife there, so that at least sets a baseline. We know souls exist since they're what get cleansed and reincarnated, so from there........ I guess I'd theorize that a really shitty person got reincarnated into what would become Cell's soul, assuming he got one, and I'm assuming he did, and it just continues from there?)
Chilled?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:10 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:34 am

Chilled?
Now I'm of the belief that whatever Freeza truly is, all the way down to the essence of his very soul, he remains evil across lifetimes & subsequent reincarnations. He might just be a wicked constant in the universe and afterlife.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think: