Would Cell even go to hell?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Would Cell even go to hell?

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:34 pm

Disregarding anime only material where we do see him in hell he wouldn’t have a soul to cleanse. He’s an artificial life form so once Gohan Kamehameha’d him to oblivion wouldn’t that be it for him? No hell. No reincarnation. Nada

precita
Banned

Re: Would Cell even go to hell?

Post by precita » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:41 pm

He's more of a living being than 19 and 16 who were pure robots. We see him growing as a tiny cell in the lab, that makes him the same thing as any living creature.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:52 pm

Yeah Cell isn't mechanical, he is definitely a biological lifeform. He is an unnatural birth but Dr. Gero did grow an organism in a test tube.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:58 pm

16 & 19 were never living beings in the traditional sense, just machines that had an emotionally-convincing AI to them. All of Gero's other creations were organic or originally-organic so they had a consciousness/soul as defined by DB.
On a side note, it is interesting that 19 was a confirmed denizen of Hell in GT; although, that was a Toei invention only. I wonder if 16 is in Heaven then???
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:26 pm

theherodjl wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:58 pm
On a side note, it is interesting that 19 was a confirmed denizen of Hell in GT; although, that was a Toei invention only. I wonder if 16 is in Heaven then???
One of the Dr.Wheelo’s creations…the fat yellow thing can be seen in Rebirth of Fusion with the rest of the escapees from hell.

16 was restored to life in the anime confirmed.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:31 pm

nickzambuto wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:52 pm Yeah Cell isn't mechanical, he is definitely a biological lifeform. He is an unnatural birth but Dr. Gero did grow an organism in a test tube.
I don't see why being biological somehow automatically means you have a soul, or being non-biological means you don't. What about the Metal Men like Magetta? They aren't biological but they supposedly grow naturally. Do they have souls?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:49 pm

Kaio seemed pretty certain that Cell should’ve ended up in Otherworld with him and Goku. That’s how they realized that Cell was still alive.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:14 pm

Yeah, he is more like a test tube kid than a machine. He is like kids from The Boys from Brazil.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:42 pm

Yes.

He's not a fully mechanical being like 16 and 19. He's a living breathing creature.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:09 pm

Yes, North Kai was shocked not to see him coming down Snakeway.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:23 pm

Funnily enough in the end of the Boo saga Hell scenes, only Dr. Gero was down there. I guess the GT writers had no idea what they were doing putting 19 there.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:17 am

precita wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:23 pm
Funnily enough in the end of the Boo saga Hell scenes, only Dr. Gero was down there. I guess the GT writers had no idea what they were doing putting 19 there.
It brings up further questions in how 19 even has a body and isn't a cloud like most others beings in the afterlife. That means that Enma actually decided to put 19's body back together after Vegeta destroyed it and allowed 19 to keep it...for whatever reason.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:41 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:31 pm
nickzambuto wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:52 pm Yeah Cell isn't mechanical, he is definitely a biological lifeform. He is an unnatural birth but Dr. Gero did grow an organism in a test tube.
I don't see why being biological somehow automatically means you have a soul, or being non-biological means you don't. What about the Metal Men like Magetta? They aren't biological but they supposedly grow naturally. Do they have souls?
The Metalmen are classified as an alien race. They could be biological. Perhaps their core works like a heart and their skin could be bio-metal. I'm confident they have souls, but I'm not as confident about how their bodies work.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:32 pm

GT also shows Metallitron as one of the many villains who escape from Hell. On a lesser note, some Saibamen are also among the villains there, which also seems a little weird to me. That would imply that every Saibamen that’s ever existed gets judged in the afterlife, but aren’t they basically just plants?

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:30 pm

Next to what others have mentioned, you could make the argument that the implementation of biological material from at least four different organic beings helped to institute the essence of Cell's being. It's not like with the aforementioned #16 and #19 who, while displaying some highly advanced personality traits for mechanical beings, probably don't have souls technically.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:07 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:31 pm
Yes because Magetta is still biological. His species skin just evolved into metal.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:23 pm

He was probably sent to Hell for a while before his soul was restore into a new being. Unlike Freeza, he didn't live a very long life and would not need to be in Earth's Hell for very long.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:29 am

theherodjl wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:17 am
precita wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:23 pm
It brings up further questions in how 19 even has a body and isn't a cloud like most others beings in the afterlife. That means that Enma actually decided to put 19's body back together after Vegeta destroyed it and allowed 19 to keep it...for whatever reason.

None of them should be able to keep their bodies. Piccolo said Vegeta was too evil killing too many innocent people that he would lose his body, go to hell, and have his soul cleansed and memory wiped and then reborn as a new being. The fact that all these villains have their bodies is a plot hole.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:38 pm

I guess if you want to go about this thought experiment, maybe start with: did Dolly go to sheep heaven?

Cell was, similarly in many ways, a biological being grown from adult cell harvesting.

Gotta have a bit of both in- and out-of-universe reckoning with yourselves about the nature or existence of a "soul" and onward from there.

(For me, it's the Dragon World, and there's a known afterlife there, so that at least sets a baseline. We know souls exist since they're what get cleansed and reincarnated, so from there........ I guess I'd theorize that a really shitty person got reincarnated into what would become Cell's soul, assuming he got one, and I'm assuming he did, and it just continues from there?)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:29 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:38 pm

(For me, it's the Dragon World, and there's a known afterlife there, so that at least sets a baseline. We know souls exist since they're what get cleansed and reincarnated, so from there........ I guess I'd theorize that a really shitty person got reincarnated into what would become Cell's soul, assuming he got one, and I'm assuming he did, and it just continues from there?)
Well, this is scary. Freeza's soul was somebody else's before...