Do senzu do anything for sleep?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Do senzu do anything for sleep?

Post by nickzambuto » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:10 pm

If a fighter hasn't had the chance to sleep in a couple days and this is effecting their ability to fight, would a senzu do anything for that?

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Re: Do senzu do anything for sleep?

Post by Yuji » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:31 pm

I don't see why not. It is still a temporary physical effect on the body.

Since senzus cause you to be full for a month, then that degree of overeating should leave whoever eats it incredibly sleepy, yet we never see it happen.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:05 pm

Vegeta ate a Senzu on Namek after fighting Recoome, but apparently still felt the need for sleep shortly after (he hadn't slept for maybe 6 days by this point). Additionally, Karin gives Goku a Senzu when they first meet, but it seems expected that they should both be asleep that night (they're not, of course, but the expectation seems to be there, which would be lacking if Senzus were known to stave off the need for sleep).

Maybe a Senzu might pep you up a bit, but I doubt it does all that much to eliminate the need overall.
Last edited by Magnificent Ponta on Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:09 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:05 pm Vegeta ate a Senzu on Namek after fighting Recoome, but apparently still felt the need for sleep shortly after (he hadn't slept for maybe 6 days by this point). Additionally, Karin gives Goku a Senzu when they first meet, but it seems expected that they should both be asleep that night (even though neither of them are, but that's just the way the scene plays out).

Maybe a Senzu might pep you up a bit, but I doubt it does all that much to eliminate the need overall.
I wouldn't think it eliminates the need for sleep entirely, but regulates it. So if you haven't slept in a week and then eat a senzu, it'd be like you just woke up - at the end of the day, you'd still have to go to sleep anyway. Vegeta probably needed a nap after exerting himself against Ginyu and Jeice, and Goku likewise with the dense atmosphere.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:30 pm

Sleep? You're getting into a field of biological health that I doubt Toriyama gave much thought to. If I'm not mistaken there's a lot of speculation as to the efficacies of sleep. It reinforces the immune system by creating cytokine proteins that protect the body. Cellular reconstruction of the body is bolstered. The glymphatic system of the brain which is responsible for the removal of toxic substances works during sleep. It goes on and on from there.

My opinion is that if the sensu were able to artificially replicate those neuronal and chemical processes then I suppose sleep may not be necessary. It would be the equivalent of a sleep replacement drug. But as Magnificent Ponta mentioned, Vegeta still needed rest shortly after taking a sensu; suggesting that sleep poses a separate issue to physical restoration from the bean.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:32 pm

I would think that Senzu can temporarily revitalize you and stave off the need for sleep, but not indefinitely. The best example is probably Goku, with the six days he spent traveling to Namek. From what I remember, he went 5-plus straight days just continuously training until he dropped, eating a senzu to perk himself back up, then continuing to train again. But in the end he still needed to spend a good chunk of that 6th and final day actually sleeping.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Goku da Silva

Post by Goku da Silva » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:42 pm

What about Yajirobe? :lol:

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:01 pm

Senzu doesn't recover you from natural illnesses. I assume sleep deprivation counts as a natural "illness".
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063