saiyan spouses

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

granddragoonknight
Banned

saiyan spouses

Post by granddragoonknight » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:28 am

do you guys think saiyans can have more then one spouse given their nature for strong willed men and women

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: saiyan spouses

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:31 am

Poly Saiyans would be cool! πŸ’œ
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

granddragoonknight
Banned

Post by granddragoonknight » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:37 am

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:31 am Poly Saiyans would be cool! πŸ’œ
how so

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:40 am

granddragoonknight wrote: ↑Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:37 am
how so
It would make my poly friends happy to see representation and normalization of polycules.

Also, I headcanon Gokuu, Chi-Chi, Vegeta and Blooma as a polycule anyway. :)
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

granddragoonknight
Banned

Post by granddragoonknight » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:51 am

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:40 am
how so
It would make my poly friends happy to see representation and normalization of polycules.

i think u missed vegeta and well yamcha

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:55 am

granddragoonknight wrote: ↑Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:51 am
JulieYBM wrote: ↑Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:40 am

how so

i think u missed vegeta and well yamcha
Maybe! Anything is possible!
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:56 am

From all that we have seen with the Saiyans, most of them have monogamous relationships. Or maybe that's a low and mid class thing.
Was King Vegeta shown to have multiple wives?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:10 pm

I don't think that the text (official Dragon Ball products) is a reliable narrator. Being commercial products spawned of a bigoted cisheteronormative society where poly people are generally ostracized and demonized (or even fetishized) by the media and society makes Dragon Ball shy away from considering these things.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:43 pm

Well, Toriyama noted that most Saiyans aren't into "family" as a concept, and it's unusual for them to form romantic bonds of the sort that Humans would consider typical of the word 'spouse' (Bardock and Gine being a noted exception to these sentiments).

So, as a high-level generalisation (i.e., taking the Royal House in particular out of account, where lineage apparently matters), one might contend that as a rule, Saiyans don't have spouses, only mates. Moreover, we don't even know if their association with such mates is anything other than short-term.

granddragoonknight
Banned

Post by granddragoonknight » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:40 pm

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:10 pm I don't think that the text (official Dragon Ball products) is a reliable narrator. Being commercial products spawned of a bigoted cisheteronormative society where poly people are generally ostracized and demonized (or even fetishized) by the media and society makes Dragon Ball shy away from considering these things.
um dude no

granddragoonknight
Banned

Post by granddragoonknight » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:42 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: ↑Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:43 pm Well, Toriyama noted that most Saiyans aren't into "family" as a concept, and it's unusual for them to form romantic bonds of the sort that Humans would consider typical of the word 'spouse' (Bardock and Gine being a noted exception to these sentiments).

So, as a high-level generalisation (i.e., taking the Royal House in particular out of account, where lineage apparently matters), one might contend that as a rule, Saiyans don't have spouses, only mates. Moreover, we don't even know if their association with such mates is anything other than short-term.
would the 6 saiyans hold that same regard

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:44 pm

granddragoonknight wrote: ↑Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:42 pm
Magnificent Ponta wrote: ↑Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:43 pm Well, Toriyama noted that most Saiyans aren't into "family" as a concept, and it's unusual for them to form romantic bonds of the sort that Humans would consider typical of the word 'spouse' (Bardock and Gine being a noted exception to these sentiments).

would the 6 saiyans hold that same regard
I guess it's impossible to know, at this time - they certainly have different attitudes with respect to other facets of their lives, and even slightly different physiologies, so it wouldn't come as a surprise if they felt differently to 'our' Saiyans.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:50 pm

granddragoonknight wrote: ↑Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:40 pm
JulieYBM wrote: ↑Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:10 pm I don't think that the text (official Dragon Ball products) is a reliable narrator. Being commercial products spawned of a bigoted cisheteronormative society where poly people are generally ostracized and demonized (or even fetishized) by the media and society makes Dragon Ball shy away from considering these things.
um dude no
Please do not misgender me.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

ChibiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by ChibiGoku » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:57 pm

I think not just Dragon Ball, but general media really should have more positive portrayals of multi-partner relationships, simply because media as a whole, still has this very dated idea that monogamy is the default. Trust me when I say this, growing up, we were shown to laugh or be disgusted by polyamorous relationship and this led to me having internalized issues.

To be blunt, if the franchise was to have it, they could really do it with any characters, honestly, not just Saiyan's. That said, the family concept was rarer with Saiyan's, which would imply more of a non-monogamous approach with their partners, so... You draw your own conclusion.

EDIT
JulieYBM wrote: ↑Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:50 pm Please do not misgender me.
We really need to get a pronouns system here, honestly (plus side information if typical non-gendered usage of "man" and "dude", and "buddy", etc., is comfortable to the user or not).

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:04 pm

ChibiGoku wrote: ↑Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:57 pm I think not just Dragon Ball, but general media really should have more positive portrayals of multi-partner relationships, simply because media as a whole, still has this very dated idea that monogamy is the default. Trust me when I say this, growing up, we were shown to laugh or be disgusted by polyamorous relationship and this led to me having internalized issues.

To be blunt, if the franchise was to have it, they could really do it with any characters, honestly, not just Saiyan's. That said, the family concept was rarer with Saiyan's, which would imply more of a non-monogamous approach with their partners, so... You draw your own conclusion.

EDIT
JulieYBM wrote: ↑Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:50 pm Please do not misgender me.
We really need to get a pronouns system here, honestly (plus side information if typical non-gendered usage of "man" and "dude", and "buddy", etc., is comfortable to the user or not).
Pronouns right above Posts would be nice. 😍

Anyway, Lunch, Chaozu and Tenshinhan are definitely together.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:30 pm

Saiyans have only been shown taking 1 wife at a time in all forms of canon, and apparently there is also no homosexuality of any kind in Saiyan history.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:33 pm

precita wrote: ↑Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:30 pm Saiyans have only been shown taking 1 wife at a time in all forms of canon, and apparently there is also no homosexuality of any kind in Saiyan history.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

granddragoonknight
Banned

Post by granddragoonknight » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:12 pm

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:50 pm
um dude no
i wasn't and even if I did it wouldn't manner

granddragoonknight
Banned

Post by granddragoonknight » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:12 pm

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:33 pm
precita wrote: ↑Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:30 pm Saiyans have only been shown taking 1 wife at a time in all forms of canon, and apparently there is also no homosexuality of any kind in Saiyan history.
yeah the writers of super were high that day

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:48 pm

granddragoonknight wrote: ↑Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:12 pm
JulieYBM wrote: ↑Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:50 pm

um dude no
i wasn't and even if I did it wouldn't manner
Yes, referring to me as 'dude' is misgendering me. Please refrain from doing so in the future. Thank you.
granddragoonknight wrote: ↑Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:12 pm
JulieYBM wrote: ↑Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:33 pm
yeah the writers of super were high that day
Please do not refer to the inclusion of same-gender relationships in media so disrespectfully. Seeing representation normalizes and gives children confidence to be themselves.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter