Torishima "Son Goku and Blooma should fall in love"

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

coola
I Live Here

Torishima "Son Goku and Blooma should fall in love"

Post by coola » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:47 am

It was mentioned in chapter 200 of Dr. Slump, that Torishima, Toriyama first editor, wanted Son Goku and Blooma to fall in love, said chapter was made around chapter 6 and 7 of Dragon Ball manga, so there is probably not much to it :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Torishima "Son Goku and Blooma should fall in love"

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:37 pm

Ah yes Bulma should fall in love with a kid who pet people’s crotches and took her underwear off in her sleep.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:14 pm

Definitely. Could have happened. Wouldn't have been against it if it happened. Not like Toriyama would write it. Just timeskip, boom Bulma is pregnant with Gohan.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:11 pm

I can see it.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:06 am

God, I love Torishima but he sure rolls with some really bad ideas. Keep the bad ideas coming Torishima. Roll on.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

evirus

Post by evirus » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:46 am

It’s a shame that U6&7 are as different as they are. You could get a lot of mileage out of situations like this. Similar to the show Fringe

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:33 am

Had Toryiama decided not to have Yamcha fall for her in the first arc it could have theoretically happened. Chi Chi would have just been a one-off character most likely.

Problem is if it did happen it would make Bulma look like a pedophile even though they're only 4 years apart due to Goku's small height.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:00 pm

I seriously wonder if Goku X Bulma would have worked out.

But to hear a lot about the editors' contribution(s) to DB sounds strange... I know Toriyama always did his work loosely, but at times it does feel like the editors had more ownership/management than the author.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:11 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:00 pm I seriously wonder if Goku X Bulma would have worked out.

Why wouldn't it? Dispite all her yelling and hitting, Bulma's a good person. And compared to every of male in the show, she give Goku a lot of slack. If hse wasn't with Yamcha, and if Goku had given her a bit more attention, there might have been something there at the 23rd tourney
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:35 pm

Torishima out here wanting Gokuu to cuck Yamcha sure is a thing. Huh. I mean, I guess I'm not against it considering how much of a raging heterosexual I am but how about not having Blooma marry anyone because she decides she Don't Need No Man in her life? After all, Blooma was already a successful adventurer and inventor before attaching herself to that piece of shit Prince.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:06 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:35 pm Torishima out here wanting Gokuu to cuck Yamcha sure is a thing. Huh. I mean, I guess I'm not against it considering how much of a raging heterosexual I am but how about not having Blooma marry anyone because she decides she Don't Need No Man in her life? After all, Blooma was already a successful adventurer and inventor before attaching herself to that piece of shit Prince.
Well, at least Lunch kinda filled that role...by being disregarded...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:49 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:06 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:35 pm Torishima out here wanting Gokuu to cuck Yamcha sure is a thing. Huh. I mean, I guess I'm not against it considering how much of a raging heterosexual I am but how about not having Blooma marry anyone because she decides she Don't Need No Man in her life? After all, Blooma was already a successful adventurer and inventor before attaching herself to that piece of shit Prince.
Well, at least Lunch kinda filled that role...by being disregarded...
Ah yes, not being seen as a breeding hole because she was forgotten!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:30 am

Then again, Blooma herself said main reason she collect balls, is so she can get a boyfriend :) With make me wonder, would Shenlong grant such wish? Is it allowed to mess with emotions and make someone love against their will?
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:04 am

coola wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:30 am
Then again, Blooma herself said main reason she collect balls, is so she can get a boyfriend :) With make me wonder, would Shenlong grant such wish? Is it allowed to mess with emotions and make someone love against their will?
I always figured he would just find someone who would already be a good match for Bulma and bring him to her.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:30 am

Okay, but Blooma could just realize that she did not want to be in a relationship as a form of character development.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:25 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:04 am
I always figured he would just find someone who would already be a good match for Bulma and bring him to her.
My crack scenario would be Shenron having clairvoyance and just zapping a psychotic 17-year-old Vegeta to Earth, who either kills everyone out of rage or realizes the kid in the blue-gi has a tail and freaks out.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:29 am

precita wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:33 am Problem is if it did happen it would make Bulma look like a pedophile even though they're only 4 years apart due to Goku's small height.
From where I was standing, I was assuming they'd hook up as adults, like the moment they saw each other at the 23rd. not as kids.

MajinPopo

Post by MajinPopo » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:21 pm

Well, I do recall a certain line when the main characters all meet up again for the Budokai, with Goku having grown. Doesn't Bulma make a statement about Goku's attractiveness and how she had underestimated him?

This could have been a wink and a nod to Torishima, a sort of tease that wasn't going to happen. Seems like the kind of shit Toriyama would do.

But I do wonder if it later influenced the weird decision to pair Bulma with Vegeta.

Bridgeman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Bridgeman » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:21 pm

Not gonna lie, I low key would be a fan of them being together. I'm actually really curious what that would look like. On Namek, Bulma thinks of Goku a couple times in a way that could be seen as romantic. Anime filler tho

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:26 am

"Blooma...." seriously?

Anyway, I love how Toriyma is constantly referred to as Mr T.
The actual Mr T should have appeared in Dragon Ball. He could probably hang with the rest of the gang until they learned to fly.