Torishima "Son Goku and Blooma should fall in love"

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: Torishima "Son Goku and Blooma should fall in love"

Post by theherodjl » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:49 pm

This is why DB should have it's own "What-If...?" or Elseworlds series: it would be great to see the hypothetical futures of various points in the story and where things could've gone, especially with all the new source material introduced in the past decade.
I like the idea of Goku's ship somehow going on a detour and landing on Beerus' World, where Goku falls down a gorge and hits his head but is saved by Whis and then raised to be a candidate of destruction.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Yosheets
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yosheets » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:05 am

Goku and Bulma meeting each other in the beginning of Dragon Ball honestly reminds me of Meliodas and Elizabeth meeting each other in the beginning of The Seven Deadly Sins. And Oolong is like Hawk. LOL.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:41 pm

Honestly, I would have been a fan of the pairing, specifically if the clueless Goku had shown any inkling of a crush toward Bulma early on (say, around the 22nd Budokai or King Piccolo arc). It wouldn't be acted on/realized by Bulma until Goku comes back physically mature during the 23rd Budokai arc. It's hinted that Bulma has a slight crush on him when she sees how much he's grown.

I'm not a Chi-Chi hater or anything, quite on the contrary, but Bulma inevitably understands Goku better since she's known him for most of his life. Had they gotten together, I feel like there would've been a way for Bulma (with her intellect) to take a more direct involvement in some of the action.

It's clear that it wasn't the intent, but if the writers had wanted Bulma and Goku to end up together, I believe it could have worked.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:41 pm

In addition to the scan given by the OP, it's worth noting that the cover for Dragon Ball Chapter 2 has the text:

"The Monkey and the Princess...But They're Still Boy and Girl
ALOFT in the ULTRALIGHT of LOVE...Or ARE THEY?
"

If that's an accurate translation of the catch-copy, and not just a set of Viz-isms, then I guess that might speak to something of a push from editorial to at least keep this as a potentially relevant element of Goku and Bulma's relationship from basically the very beginning of the story, despite Toriyama's discomfort on this (and regarding romantic matters generally).

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:51 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:41 pm In addition to the scan given by the OP, it's worth noting that the cover for Dragon Ball Chapter 2 has the text:

"The Monkey and the Princess...But They're Still Boy and Girl
ALOFT in the ULTRALIGHT of LOVE...Or ARE THEY?
"

If that's an accurate translation of the catch-copy, and not just a set of Viz-isms, then I guess that might speak to something of a push from editorial to at least keep this as a potentially relevant element of Goku and Bulma's relationship from basically the very beginning of the story, despite Toriyama's discomfort on this (and regarding romantic matters generally).
I assume that was before Toriyama came up with Chichi
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:32 pm

I wonder if Toriyama's reluctance to do this pairing is why he decided to age down Goku from 14 to 12.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:15 pm

If Bulma can put up with Vegeta, she could put up with Goku. It could work.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

SlashHaiden

Post by SlashHaiden » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:45 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:37 pm Ah yes Bulma should fall in love with a kid who pet people’s crotches and took her underwear off in her sleep.
Hey, Chichi married Goku BECAUSE of his crotch-petting.

King Bogo

Post by King Bogo » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:55 am

If anyone here is wondering how it could've played out MasakoX made an 18 part What If series based on it https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... CCg_fDZwFS

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:17 pm

It could work. She even wondered about Goku during team's trip to planet Namek. Honestly, I'd like that to happen. Everything started with them, so everything should end with them too. Gohan being their first born, and Future Trunks being their second child is an idea I'd take the risk of telling/reading/seeing.

If you think about it, Bulma x Goku has much more sense than Goku x Chichi or Bulma x Vegeta.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:58 pm

I see Torishima taught George Lucas about pairings. In 90% of other media I'm sure after Goku grew up he likely would have marries Bulma as that is usually what happens.

Had we gone down this route Inwonder if Chichi would have left the stroy or we should be a Z warrior instead.

Trunks being Goku's son would make the entire Android arc more emotional and Goten and Trunks being brothers would also explain SS3 Gotenks a little better.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:41 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:25 pm
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:04 am
coola wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:30 am
Then again, Blooma herself said main reason she collect balls, is so she can get a boyfriend :) With make me wonder, would Shenlong grant such wish? Is it allowed to mess with emotions and make someone love against their will?
I always figured he would just find someone who would already be a good match for Bulma and bring him to her.
My crack scenario would be Shenron having clairvoyance and just zapping a psychotic 17-year-old Vegeta to Earth, who either kills everyone out of rage or realizes the kid in the blue-gi has a tail and freaks out.
That would be a hilarious one off gag what if manga.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.