What if: there was a third category of Time Rings?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBFanTalk

What if: there was a third category of Time Rings?

Post by DBFanTalk » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:55 am

The Dragon Ball Super mythos established the concept of the Time Rings -- tools exclusive to the Supreme Kai' which they use to travel through time. There are two types: the silver ring which enables them to travel forward to a future time period, and the green rings which enable them to travel to alternative timelines. But what if a third type was introduced? A Time Ring that allows one to access parallel and hidden dimensions of spacetime.

This feature would serve the purpose of world-building and also to explore the theme of parallel dimensions. There have been several examples of parallel or pocket dimensions in the series: the Dead Zone, the clash between Gogeta and Broly, Super Buu' Vice Shout and the Time Rift created by Goku Black.

How much potential does this idea have? A parallel dimension could have its own laws of physics, be a power source, or even manipulate three dimensional space. What are your thoughts?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What if: there was a third category of Time Rings?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:48 am

That wouldn't be a time ring so much as a dimension ring, though.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:58 pm

The potential would be to explore the movies (along with Hatchiyack OVA and even Dragon Ball GT), which are said to be events that happened in alternate dimension.

We could have characters from the series meeting their counterparts, these characters from the movies and such.

In other words, there's tons of potential this concept, and is precisely what I've been waiting to see in modern Dragon Ball. But we keep getting these old, boring and formulaic sagas instead...
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

MajinPopo

Post by MajinPopo » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:22 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:58 pm The potential would be to explore the movies (along with Hatchiyack OVA and even Dragon Ball GT), which are said to be events that happened in alternate dimension.

We could have characters from the series meeting their counterparts, these characters from the movies and such.

In other words, there's tons of potential this concept, and is precisely what I've been waiting to see in modern Dragon Ball. But we keep getting these old, boring and formulaic sagas instead...
While I do think that the sagas are kind of formulaic, that isn't necessarily a bad thing if done competently and well. The big issue that I have of the main serialized storyline incorporating a lot of dimension hopping stuff and crossing over with spinoffs is that it would reduce the main Dragon Ball to essentially another series of Super DB Heroes.

It would be a 30 minute toy commercial that would dilute the characters even further. Who is "Goku" when there are 100 Gokus?

The reason we all care about DB is it's serialized nature. You're following the same guy throughout his life. It's a story. When you reduce it to "there are a million Gokus and they all have different histories and here they all are!" you get to the point where you're like "why should I even care what happens to this character?"

I think it would be akin to Chibnall-era Doctor Who, where the entire continuity is torn apart for short sighted, poorly made marketing decisions.

Spinoffs and variations can exist and can exist well, but without a strong "core" of the franchise, the ancillary stuff is pointless. So by tying your "main story" so heavily to external/ancillary media, for the sake of a few extra toy sales, it can ultimately destroy the "core" which then circles around and likewise destroys the original spinoff stuff they were ideally trying to pay tribute to.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:22 pm

MajinPopo wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:22 pmThe big issue that I have of the main serialized storyline incorporating a lot of dimension hopping stuff and crossing over with spinoffs is that it would reduce the main Dragon Ball to essentially another series of Super DB Heroes.
You talk as if being another Dragon Ball Heroes were a bad thing, even though what that game is doing is precisely what the "main series" should be doing, regardless if there is already a game dealing with such subject or not.

Then again, probably there wouldn't be a game already using this concept if the series had already started by using it first since the beginning. Instead of wasting time with retellings and tournaments, the series should have made its debut in modern time without being afraid to take risks.
MajinPopo wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:22 pmIt would be a 30 minute toy commercial that would dilute the characters even further. Who is "Goku" when there are 100 Gokus? You're following the same guy throughout his life. It's a story. When you reduce it to "there are a million Gokus and they all have different histories and here they all are!" you get to the point where you're like "why should I even care what happens to this character?"
Comic book readers don't seem to have that problem, so I doubt it would be the case with Dragon Ball.

Everyone cares about what happens to the MCU characters regardless of what's happening in the comics.
MajinPopo wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:22 pmSpinoffs and variations can exist and can exist well, but without a strong "core" of the franchise, the ancillary stuff is pointless. So by tying your "main story" so heavily to external/ancillary media, for the sake of a few extra toy sales, it can ultimately destroy the "core" which then circles around and likewise destroys the original spinoff stuff they were ideally trying to pay tribute to.
Movies, OVAs, Dragon Ball Online and Dragon Ball GT are not ancillary stuff, though. Their in-universe existence is a valid as the existence of a "main series" (especially Dragon Ball Online's). If you need a "core", establish a core to your audience. Explain stuff, then work on it.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~