Most ineffective technique?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Most ineffective technique?

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:21 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:06 am Against most opponents, Soukidan would've been a killer technique, but poor Yamcha was against Kami in human form. Yeah, it doesn't finish the job, but in all fairness, the technique was impressive enough to make Kami get serious and take him out quickly and with dignity. Until that point, Kami was messing around and headbutting his nutsack, then suddenly he recognises Yamcha as a major threat to his mission.

My answer would naturally be "That's Vegeta's technique". The Androids perfected it thanks to infinite stamina, but when has it ever worked for Vegeta himself? It's pretty much the definitive pathetic-last-resort move.
True, but by this point Yamcha was already far down on the scale that Sokidan effectiveness was still limited. It was an impressive move, no doubt, but in order for it to make a real impact, it needed to be a serious power amplifier like Krillin's Kienzan. Yamcha never uses it again (except for in Tree of Might, with is a movie obviously, but even then it doesn't do much), so it's legacy of giving Kami a concussion is pretty short-lived.

Yamcha has the misfortune of being the "stepping-stone" character, in other words a powerful character whose purpose in the plot is to lose to show how powerful the opponent is. It seems very much like Toriyama to introduce such a cool technique for Yamcha, but to have him still lose (obviously it makes sense for the story, but still lol).

EDIT: I will say that Vegeta's ki spamming and Final Flash usually don't do the trick either, for being so powerful...yeah, actually I'm changing my vote to that. :lol:
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:43 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:06 am My answer would naturally be "That's Vegeta's technique". The Androids perfected it thanks to infinite stamina, but when has it ever worked for Vegeta himself? It's pretty much the definitive pathetic-last-resort move.
I'm only recently hip to "That's Vegeta's technique" as of 2021 via some videos on YT and so any reference to it instantly cracks me up. Shoutout to Lonely's Archive.

As far as Sokidan goes, I can see plenty of situations where it would be very useful. I only recently remembered that Goku used a variant against Frieza to distract him while underwater. A distraction or surprise attack is the best use of it possibly to setup better positioning or another attack altogether. I don't see it as a finisher per-se but if its beefed up, it could be something of a Big Bang Sokidan. Or maybe its the fact that its so weak that allows it to be so controllable.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:23 pm

BWri wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:43 am
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:06 am My answer would naturally be "That's Vegeta's technique". The Androids perfected it thanks to infinite stamina, but when has it ever worked for Vegeta himself? It's pretty much the definitive pathetic-last-resort move.
I'm only recently hip to "That's Vegeta's technique" as of 2021 via some videos on YT and so any reference to it instantly cracks me up. Shoutout to Lonely's Archive.

As far as Sokidan goes, I can see plenty of situations where it would be very useful. I only recently remembered that Goku used a variant against Frieza to distract him while underwater. A distraction or surprise attack is the best use of it possibly to setup better positioning or another attack altogether. I don't see it as a finisher per-se but if its beefed up, it could be something of a Big Bang Sokidan. Or maybe its the fact that its so weak that allows it to be so controllable.
I was basing my choice moreso on track record of effectiveness. As far as hypothetical effectiveness, I'd probably say the Sokidan could work quite well, it's just that it only appeared once in the manga from Yamcha. I also think he would need to amp it up to be able to stand up against much more powerful enemies like Krillin's Kienzan. I mean, maybe it could have anyway, since Kami was a lot stronger than Yamcha. But I think it would need to cause more signifcant damage to be truly effective.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:16 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:02 am I actually think it might be the Genki Dama, if we don't count the movies. It only really worked once, and that required a wish from Porunga to help out.
It still severly damaged Frieza + killed Buu and Omega Shenron.

Final Flash and self destruct techniques were less effective for sure. Also Kienzan.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:23 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:23 pm I was basing my choice moreso on track record of effectiveness. As far as hypothetical effectiveness, I'd probably say the Sokidan could work quite well, it's just that it only appeared once in the manga from Yamcha. I also think he would need to amp it up to be able to stand up against much more powerful enemies like Krillin's Kienzan. I mean, maybe it could have anyway, since Kami was a lot stronger than Yamcha. But I think it would need to cause more signifcant damage to be truly effective.
I think that's where my resistance to the idea that it was ineffective stems from, we've only seen it once, it did good to okay depending on who you ask, and I can see its potential usefulness in several scenarios.

And now that Super has placed emphasis on critical hit damage from being caught off guard, I can see it being even more useful than before.

One thing the Kienzan has over the Sokidan (other than being an insta-kill) is it likely doesn't need a huge power investment to do damage. I don't think the Sokidan could ever compete with that.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:58 pm

Maybe I missed a part of this convo, but isn't it basically been leveled up to any energy sphere that gets launched at an opponent?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063