Uub in Dragon Ball GT

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Uub in Dragon Ball GT

Post by Alkiser » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:03 pm

This is my first post on this forum, and I ask for your understanding on any mistakes.

Dragon Ball GT and UUB

While watching Dragon Ball GT I noticed that UUB's character was wasted, I would like to point out that Son Goku at the end of Dragon Ball Z went with UUB for training to make him his successor.

In DBGT UUb became strong through training and later reuniting with good Majin Buu which resulted in a power up but it didn't make him the main character nor did it change his perception in the whole series as 28 Tenkaichi Budokai suggested, because in GT it was still Kakarotto saving the day and defeating the main villains and UUb became just another buddy of Goku and company who when it came down to it was just another guy to beat until Goku saved the day.

I guess my biggest problem with Dragon Ball GT is that they threw Toriyama's whole idea for the final DB chapters in the trash, and instead of making UUb this great successor to Goku, they just treated him like unnecessary garbage that might as well not have been in the story and still wouldn't have changed anything.

Vegeta, Gohan Gotena, and Trunksa are supposedly there, doing something, but when it comes down to it, they can't manage without Goku. The last chapters of the manga indicated that if there will ever be a sequel, UUB will play the main role. Did Toei animation dislike and give up on UUB? Or maybe the fans didn't like the character and UUb was abandoned?

What's the point of Toriyame creating a reincarnation of Buu if Toei animation pissed on the final chapters anyway and did it their way, completely mashing up the manga finale.
Feel free to discuss

TheFallenProfit

Re: Uub in Dragon Ball GT

Post by TheFallenProfit » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:12 pm

While I agree that he wasn't executed well as a character you cannot say that the story would've been the same without oob in Gt, goku and Co. would've died against golden ozaru baby if it weren't for oob.

Yosheets
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yosheets » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:07 pm

While Majin Oob was cool, Oob still should have been utilized to the same extent that Pan was in GT.

Bridgeman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Bridgeman » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:42 pm

Alkiser wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:03 pm This is my first post on this forum, and I ask for your understanding on any mistakes.

Dragon Ball GT and UUB

While watching Dragon Ball GT I noticed that UUB's character was wasted, I would like to point out that Son Goku at the end of Dragon Ball Z went with UUB for training to make him his successor.

In DBGT UUb became strong through training and later reuniting with good Majin Buu which resulted in a power up but it didn't make him the main character nor did it change his perception in the whole series as 28 Tenkaichi Budokai suggested, because in GT it was still Kakarotto saving the day and defeating the main villains and UUb became just another buddy of Goku and company who when it came down to it was just another guy to beat until Goku saved the day.

I guess my biggest problem with Dragon Ball GT is that they threw Toriyama's whole idea for the final DB chapters in the trash, and instead of making UUb this great successor to Goku, they just treated him like unnecessary garbage that might as well not have been in the story and still wouldn't have changed anything.

Vegeta, Gohan Gotena, and Trunksa are supposedly there, doing something, but when it comes down to it, they can't manage without Goku. The last chapters of the manga indicated that if there will ever be a sequel, UUB will play the main role. Did Toei animation dislike and give up on UUB? Or maybe the fans didn't like the character and UUb was abandoned?

What's the point of Toriyame creating a reincarnation of Buu if Toei animation pissed on the final chapters anyway and did it their way, completely mashing up the manga finale.
Feel free to discuss
Tbh, there's many things I dislike about GT, and Uub fusing with Buu is one of them (why delete a good character to give a mediocre character a power boost, when you can do it through some other asspull?), but him not becoming the main character isn't. I really don't wanna see Uub becoming the "new protector of Earth", not when we have guys like Vegeta, Gohan, Goten and Trunks around. Besides, there's only one throwaway line from Goku that mentions that. And after that he flies up to his family and says "Imma train this guy maybe you'll see me again some day bye", Gohan asking "Um... why?", which Goku declines to answer as he's already too far away to hear it.

I'm gonna be honest, aside from Goten's design, I hate the final two chapters of Dragon Ball. And some of the statements made in it (such as Bulma saying they hadn't seen Goku in five years) are already being contradicted by Super, so I hope they retcon the final chapters entirely as Super goes on. I think even Toriyama made a statement at some point that he regretted making everyone look old.

As for Uub; long story short, he should be a Goten / Trunks level character at best, not the main character.

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:18 pm

Nice to know someone has returned to this topic, as I thought it would be lost in the crowd. I just think that since it ended with Uub, they should continue his storyline and not give him a power up by sacrificing another character just so he doesn't even achieve anything afterwards.

Bridgeman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Bridgeman » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:24 am

That is not an issue specific to Uub, but more of an issue with GT in general. People complain that Super is the Goku & Vegeta show sometimes, but GT really was the Goku & Vegeta show. Side characters were barely relevant, and even when they did show up, it was only to get shitstomped so Goku could save the day. More minor side characters especially got shafted, I don't even remember if Tien showed up in GT at all.

It's one of my major gripes with GT. But yes, I agree they should continue Uub's story in Super and make him somewhat relevant, but he doesn't need to be Goku's successor.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:32 am

Bridgeman wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:24 am That is not an issue specific to Uub, but more of an issue with GT in general. People complain that Super is the Goku & Vegeta show sometimes, but GT really was the Goku & Vegeta show. Side characters were barely relevant, and even when they did show up, it was only to get shitstomped so Goku could save the day. More minor side characters especially got shafted, I don't even remember if Tien showed up in GT at all.
On the contrary, GT was just the Goku show. Vegeta was a mere side character for most of the show, until he got SSJ4
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:26 am

I have no idea what kind of arc Uub should've gotten, but fighting-wise, I'd liked it if Majuub teamed up with SS3 Goku and gave us an amazing fight vs Vegeta Baby. Then have the Golden Ohzaru appear, and so on.

Bridgeman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Bridgeman » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:31 am

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:32 am
Bridgeman wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:24 am That is not an issue specific to Uub, but more of an issue with GT in general. People complain that Super is the Goku & Vegeta show sometimes, but GT really was the Goku & Vegeta show. Side characters were barely relevant, and even when they did show up, it was only to get shitstomped so Goku could save the day. More minor side characters especially got shafted, I don't even remember if Tien showed up in GT at all.
On the contrary, GT was just the Goku show. Vegeta was a mere side character for most of the show, until he got SSJ4
I guess so, yeah. Notice also how Vegeta's hairstyle changes after he shaves the mustache. I feel like Toei initially went with Toriyama's design, with the slacked back old geezer hair, then later decided "Nah fuck it" and gave him some semblance of his old spiky hair again. At least he was relevant for about a third of the show.

Compare that to Super, even though it's sort of an asspull, they made freaking Roshi relevant again. I honestly don't get that particular complaint.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:19 pm

People always overlook that Oob doesn’t have a personality. He just represents Goku’s ideal of finding a worthy opponent to truly test his own skills. I’m always dumb founded when fans think Oob should lead his own spin off/sequel when that was never the intent and he’s not rounded enough to do so.

Drepanosaurus

Post by Drepanosaurus » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:03 am

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:32 am
It was the Goku and Pan show. Those two got more screen time more than anyone else.

Bridgeman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Bridgeman » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:17 am

Which could've been interesting if only Pan had been able to go SSJ. We finally got to see some female Super Saiyans in the anime now, so if we ever do get to the point where we see an older Pan / Bulla, there's no excuse.