Scouter battle powers were fake

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Slangh
Not-So-Newbie

Scouter battle powers were fake

Post by Slangh » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:09 pm

A fun theory:

Freeza had scouters designed with a formula to make big battle powers look even bigger, in order to make insurrection less likely. The power jumps in the Freeza arc were still big, but definitely not in the order of magnitudes that the numbers imply. This means that even the 'official' battle powers are based on Freeza's power rating system, which is heavily biased towards stronger ki!

With a linear calculation, the scouters could have readings like this:

500: vaporizes city (Piccolo Daimao)
5.000: turns planets into wastelands (Saiyan saga Vegeta)
50.000: makes planets explode (Freeza first form)
500.000: Freeza full power, Super Saiyans.
5.000.000: makes stars explode (Cell, Buu, ascended Super Saiyans)
50.000.000: God tier

A bit off-topic: when Cell said he could destroy the solar system, I don't think he meant doing it with one explosion, but he could have blown the sun apart, effectively destroying the solar system. Dragon Ball depicts the destruction of stars and planets one by one, the way Buu did. The Omni-God probably uses god-magic to instantly collapse (hand grasp motion) the duality of a universe which is not related to mere destructive power

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Scouter battle powers were fake

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:09 pm

Well I remember someone once saying that the power levels given in the series can't be analyzed logically except for the conclusion that someone with a higher PL is stronger than someone with a lower PL. Any attempt to analyze it beyond that runs into trouble.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:57 pm

I feel like this concept crumbles under kaioken x20 in the Freeza arc

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:05 pm

The Freeza Power Level is merely a man made unit system. Saying it is “fake” is like saying that meters or miles are fake.
It can be logarithmic, like decibels, the Richter scale, or music theory units (eg semitone, octave etc).
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Slangh
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Slangh » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:31 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:05 pm The Freeza Power Level is merely a man made unit system. Saying it is “fake” is like saying that meters or miles are fake.
It can be logarithmic, like decibels, the Richter scale, or music theory units (eg semitone, octave etc).
Fair point, a measuring system in itself is never fake. I meant the intent behind using a system: fakery could be the attempt to present data in such a manner that it produces a certain result, like intimidation.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:43 pm

Slangh wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:31 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:05 pm The Freeza Power Level is merely a man made unit system. Saying it is “fake” is like saying that meters or miles are fake.
Fair point, a measuring system in itself is never fake. I meant the intent behind using a system: fakery could be the attempt to present data in such a manner that it produces a certain result, like intimidation.
Oh yeah, that bit about Freeza using it for intimidation is quite valid. It’s pretty funny, actually, and I subscribe to that head canon myself.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san