Something strange about the Namek saga...

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bridgeman
Not-So-Newbie

Something strange about the Namek saga...

Post by Bridgeman » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:08 pm

So, I was rewatching the Namek / Ginyu saga, something's weird... Vegeta gets an incredible power boost during this time, which is how he goes from getting his ass beat by Recoome to killing Jeice without much trouble, and holding back first form Frieza a bit.

I thought this happened after he eats a Senzu given to him by Goku. However, he eats that Senzu before Goku goes to fight Recoome. Yet, Vegeta still seems to have trouble keeping up with Goku's speed, and is still amazed by his power display against Recoome and Burter. If Vegeta really became so much more powerful after eating the Senzu, shouldn't he be able to keep up with Goku easily, and even have the strength to take down the Ginyus by himself? Or was the power boost somehow delayed? I thought Saiyans grew stronger immediately after recovering from serious injuries.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Something strange about the Namek saga...

Post by BWri » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:59 pm

He was also sleep deprived at that point. That may have something to do with his sense and not recognizing he got a big power boost right away.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:03 pm

See I'm sceptical on Vegeta overtaking Goku at this time. Look at their respective performances against the Ginyus. Jeice nor Burter could so much as land a blow on Goku. Fast forward some time later where Jeice is engaged with Vegeta -- while he's clearly on the losing end of the fight, he can at least block attacks and even draw a light trickle of blood from the Saiyan Prince's mouth after successfully delivering a punch to the mouth.

Now look over Vegeta's numerous reactions from the time Goku was first displaying his miraculous growth in strength against Recoome to when he was still concealing himself behind one of the landing struts of Freeza's spaceship. Despite his own improvements Vegeta still felt intimidated and cautious when sizing up Goku. The idea of Ginyu returning to the ship seemed to alarm Vegeta when Krillin suggested it aloud.

Vegeta could at least follow Goku's movements so that's a point in his favour. Maybe he could have been as high as 75,000 at the time? It's sufficient to overwhelm most of the Ginyus while still being the junior in status next to Goku.

I don't think there's any direct explanation for how Vegeta skyrocketed from wherever he was at the time of fighting the Ginyus to literally locking fists with Freeza in his first form. I can't imagine a single power nap would have elevated him so much. It's the kind of upsurge you'd expect if he slipped away to the Grand Elder's and had his potential unlocked.

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Post by nhienphan2808 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:50 am

It's not weird. It's just Vegeta's power working the least weird way in an arc where everyone got free weird rent of power and crazy transformations. He just figured out people could change their power, he had misconception about Super Saiyan, he ges tired and got defeated, etc. I think that's why people, myself included, could find Vegeta so sympathetic, and even wrongly branded him an "underdog" even when he's still rotten. Because he was, and continue to be the only one whose power and training thus change of power MAKES SENSE realistically if not in numbers, in a gag-ish series where they are not supposed to.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

blacksymbiote
Beyond Newbie

Post by blacksymbiote » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:41 am

They all had to have their power reset to fight Frieza. Vegeta's power nap had to bump him up a few hundred thousand. Nail and Piccolo's fusion had to give them about a million boost, as did Gohan's rage boost.

Looking at the Ginyu fight, Vegeta would still appear to be weaker than Goku, but if that healing from the senzu got him up to deal with 1st form Frieza, this wouldn't be the case.