Would videl be a match for 1st tournament kuririn if she received Kame Senin's training?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Would videl be a match for 1st tournament kuririn if she received Kame Senin's training?

Post by DSB » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:31 pm

For her to learn to fly in 10 days being a normal human seems astounding.

I wonder if Kuririn and Yamcha were also normal like her once upon a time.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: Would videl be a match for 1st tournament kuririn if she received Kame Senin's training?

Post by theherodjl » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:10 pm

If it's just against Krillin from the first Tenkaichi Budokai seen in the story, then sure. Videl at least has some potential and a little knowledge of Ki herself: she could get very well brush the three-digit range in BP if Roshi put her through the intense milk routes, swimming, construction, and farming for several months.
She'd have to anyways. How else is she going to give him his just desserts when he tries to grope her?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Would videl be a match for 1st tournament kuririn if she received Kame Senin's training?

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:03 pm

One can write any story one wants.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:18 pm

I think she'd be a fair deal stronger, actually. And with the addition of flying, I think she'd somewhat outclass him. The only people who'd give her trouble at that point would be Goku and Jackie Chun.

I'm not exactly sure how they stack up prior to Roshi's training. Neither of them have any good pure strength feats as far as I know whereas Goku lifted a car and did other crazy stuff.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:33 am

First tournament Krillin? Definitely. I'd like to see how Videl would've done by training with Kami like the other Earthlings did. Each of them had a massive jump in power, so it stands to reason she would have as well.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:14 am

Not only a match for Krillin, she could beat Krillin and Yamcha. She could have probably held her own against kid Goku (but she can’t win ofc)
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:01 am

Krilin was really weak before meeting Roshi and his training really skyrocketed him. There's nothing saying Videl couldn't experience the same, or that Krilin's gains were because of some particular edge he holds over the rest of humanity.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:27 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:01 am Krilin was really weak before meeting Roshi and his training really skyrocketed him. There's nothing saying Videl couldn't experience the same, or that Krilin's gains were because of some particular edge he holds over the rest of humanity.
Krillin when we first met him jumped 40 feet on a standstill, casually knocked out a saber-tooth tiger (which is enough blunt trauma to kill a human) while caught off-guard, and chopped a rope with his barehands. He wasn't as strong as the other kids (Goku, Yamcha, Chi-Chi) but he was no slouch in his own rights.

As for TC's question... possibly. Videl is shown to be a prodigy in her own rights as she was stronger than Mr. Satan (who by Toriyama's admission is very strong for a normal human) despite being mostly self-trained and learned bukujutsu in just two weeks. She could've made some major strides with the Turtle Hermit training.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:15 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:27 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:01 am Krilin was really weak before meeting Roshi and his training really skyrocketed him. There's nothing saying Videl couldn't experience the same, or that Krilin's gains were because of some particular edge he holds over the rest of humanity.
Krillin when we first met him jumped 40 feet on a standstill, casually knocked out a saber-tooth tiger (which is enough blunt trauma to kill a human) while caught off-guard, and chopped a rope with his barehands. He wasn't as strong as the other kids (Goku, Yamcha, Chi-Chi) but he was no slouch in his own rights.
He had that temple training though. he was already on his way to becoming superhuman

Mr Perfect Cell

Post by Mr Perfect Cell » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:18 pm

idk maybe on par with Krill.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:49 pm

DSB wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:15 pm
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:27 pm
He had that temple training though. he was already on his way to becoming superhuman
He was basically an olympic caliber athlete when he was introduced but he does have some strangely superhuman feats to his name also like his jump distance and bullet resistance. He was scared of thugs with guns though while Videl was something of a bullet-timer -- well, she'd have to be one to be an on-call crime fighter unless she used guns herself.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:30 am

There's basically no reason to think she couldn't have been as strong as any of the other human characters among the core cast, had she gone through the same training. (Turtle Hermit's, Korin's, God's, etc.)

She's not quite on Yajirobe's level of ... random superhuman-ness, but she's essentially superhuman in her martial arts prowess even with zero spiritual training, which Kuririn had presumably had at least some of during his time at Oren Temple. Yamcha even in his first appearance was likewise versed in the kind of fantasy martial-arts that have basically been fazed out as a regular element of DB's world by the time Videl appears. She'd probably be as strong or stronger as either of them were when they first showed up had she been raised with similar experiences, and could certainly have kept up after.

Granted, we know almost nothing about most of the human martial artists' backstories, but I think it's reasonable to say that there's nothing particularly superhuman about Kuririn and Yamcha in and of themselves. They were just raised in spiritual martial-arts settings. The jury is out on Yajirobe, who is somehow about as strong as 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai Goku from just running around in the woods. But yeah, given what Videl shows as a teenager being raised under the Mr. Satan school of martial-arts philosophy, there's no reason to suspect she couldn't have been another Kuririn or Yamcha under other circumstances.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:06 am

DSB wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:15 pm

No he wasn’t. None of those monks made it past the preliminaries and he was the runt of the group. Orin Temple’s martial arts training wasn’t anything special.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:40 pm

I question if Toriyama actually remembered the stamina depletion that comes packaged with Bukujutsu but we see how Videl could travel thousands of kilometres across continents with ease. Characters earlier in the series didn't begin to use flight as their primary means of travel until the beginning of Z. It was a costly effort to maintain yet Videl showed impressive aptitude by learning the technique in a timely manner and then efficiently travelling with it so far and so quickly.

So to answer the original question I also think that Videl could have made strides in becoming a genuine martial arts of the same calibre as legends such as Roshi. She would quickly fall to the wayside like the other humans compared with the Saiyans but under the conditions of this question she would become a major contender in the tournament. Next to Goku I could see her giving Jackie chun a tough fight.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:03 am

Depends on your time frame. I think with enough time she would.

In the same period as Goku and Kuririn, nope. Kuririn is a far greater prodigy and he trained with a partner who pushed him. Videl would be training solo.

Videl was older and besides constantly training, also fought crime; yet her feats are less than Kuririn's.

Bukujustsu also seems to have significantly nerfed, it was a big deal in the TB.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:37 am

LightBing wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:03 amVidel was older and besides constantly training, also fought crime; yet her feats are less than Kuririn's.
That's pretty much it. Videl was a prodigious, self-taught martial artist with several years of crime-fighting experience that eventually allowed her to surpass her father, Mr. Satan; the best fighter that plain, ordinary humans could develop. Unfortunately, Videl's best feats aren't even comparable to what Yamcha could do at the very start of the series..and Yamcha's PL at that time was somewhere below 10.
Learning bukujutsu quickly is indisputably hard work, being talented, and having lots of natural discipline on Videl's part. It doesn't necessarily mean that she has incredible potential for power in the manner of some of the other characters though.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:47 pm

Videl was shown as being a prodigy with the minimal training she receive from her father, who stopped training with her once he realized she was surpassing him. Looking at the type of training Goku and Krillin did under Roshi, would Videl have been able to do the same? I'm going to say no. Only because it's extreme and very unorthodox.

The story at that time was about pushing their bodies to the limit and going further using these crazy training methods. By the time we get to Videl's introduction all those old ways were thrown out the window once we got characters who could make a motion, energy would come out and blow up a planet. Back then we had people jumping 40' and moving giant boulders. It was a lot more physical based feats than ki related. I don't remember if Roshi even gave them any ki training. Gohan had to explain ki to Videl, then show her how to manipulate it, and use it for flight. I think in the right circumstances, her father could have been trained to flight when he was in his prime. I think our first flying character wasn't until Ten, Right?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

SlashHaiden

Post by SlashHaiden » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:50 pm

I think that Videl doesn't get enough credit. She is basically on the same level of prodigy-ness as Krillin, seeing as she learned how to fly in 10 days. All in all, she could very well win the tournament if given Roshi's training.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:48 am

SlashHaiden wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:50 pm I think that Videl doesn't get enough credit. She is basically on the same level of prodigy-ness as Krillin, seeing as she learned how to fly in 10 days. All in all, she could very well win the tournament if given Roshi's training.
It's not really a matter of Videl being a prodigy as it is whether or not she has significant potential for power; simple fighting strength. Krillin, Tenshinhan, Yamcha, Yajirobi, and other humans in DB demonstrated an impression level of combat ability & techniques...but in comparison to other characters like the Saiyans, the humans are inconsequential in power and Videl is no exception.
Unless Toriyama, Toyotaro, and Toei decide that anyone can be just like Jiren and become strong enough to surpass Gods after training endlessly, the humans simply get the short end of the stick.

SlashHaiden

Post by SlashHaiden » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:09 pm

Well, this is 1st tournament cast, meaning that their power is WAAAAYYY weaker than they are now. That being said, Videl has more techniques than them at the time.