How would you have written Kaioshin in the Buu arc?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

How would you have written Kaioshin in the Buu arc?

Post by DSB » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:47 pm

What would you do to the Kaioshin character? keep him as the useless god or make him weak yet serious and effective?

Bridgeman
Not-So-Newbie

Re: How would you have written Kaioshin in the Buu arc?

Post by Bridgeman » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:26 pm

I'd write him to be calm and composed as he was when he first showed up, instead of the Supreme Kai who lost his absolute shit every time one of the Z-fighters annihilated a weakling. Make him stronger than Yakon and especially Pui-Pui. I'm pretty sure Supreme Kai claims he's stronger than Frieza, yet he seemed scared shitless of a guy like Pui-Pui. That makes no damn sense. Base Goku and Vegeta at that time weren't even stronger than Frieza, and base Vegeta killed Pui-Pui. How does that work?

Supreme Kai could've been a really cool character, but they made him too weak and woefully ignorant of the fighters in the universe he was supposed to be overseeing, as well as even the very earrings he was wearing.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:15 pm

Bridgeman wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:26 pm I'd write him to be calm and composed as he was when he first showed up, instead of the Supreme Kai who lost his absolute shit every time one of the Z-fighters annihilated a weakling. Make him stronger than Yakon and especially Pui-Pui. I'm pretty sure Supreme Kai claims he's stronger than Frieza, yet he seemed scared shitless of a guy like Pui-Pui. That makes no damn sense. Base Goku and Vegeta at that time weren't even stronger than Frieza, and base Vegeta killed Pui-Pui. How does that work?

Supreme Kai could've been a really cool character, but they made him too weak and woefully ignorant of the fighters in the universe he was supposed to be overseeing, as well as even the very earrings he was wearing.
100% this.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:41 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:15 pm
Bridgeman wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:26 pm I'd write him to be calm and composed as he was when he first showed up, instead of the Supreme Kai who lost his absolute shit every time one of the Z-fighters annihilated a weakling. Make him stronger than Yakon and especially Pui-Pui. I'm pretty sure Supreme Kai claims he's stronger than Frieza, yet he seemed scared shitless of a guy like Pui-Pui. That makes no damn sense. Base Goku and Vegeta at that time weren't even stronger than Frieza, and base Vegeta killed Pui-Pui. How does that work?

100% this.
I second that. Kami was gone at that point, so it would have been cool to have another deity that we could respect. Shin still had some great mentor-like interactions with Gohan so I'd just want more of that Shin and combine his role with the Elder Kai. We only needed Elder Kai because Shin was Shit.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:50 am

I would have kept him more like he was at the start of the tournament. Mysterious, calm, you aren't sure of his true motives or if he's good/evil. Maybe at least hint at an ulterior motive or hidden personality.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:06 pm

1. Keep him calm and collective instead of becoming the ignorant moron who fears anything with the Majin symbol.

2. Have Spopovich and Yamu steal energy from under the Z-Warriors noses.

3. Make him stronger. Like actually put up a fight against someone.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Wizard Sesame
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wizard Sesame » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:54 pm

It's not necessarily the Kaioshin I would change, though I do think he needs to stop freaking out of every little thing, I think it's Babidi I would look to change. Babidi is supposed to be this fearsome wizard, yet his minions are weak and his magic isn't anything that puts fear in anyone but the Kaioshin. By making Babidi more ferocious, it could justify Kaioshin's reactions, which would therefore make him a better character.

With that being said, his original mysterious appearance was obviously much better and his later ignorance isn't an interesting characteristic at all.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:33 pm

I could understand Shin's paranoia to an extent if Toriyama had expounded upon it by describing it as the product of trauma incurred by Babidi and his gruesome exterminationist based ambitions. One other setback for Shin's characterisation was the portrayal of himself as a callow inept bungler who was out of his element and needing to rely on the aid of beings he arrogantly thought were beneath him. I actually don't mind Shin being physically weaker than the Saiyans if he could have sufficiently compensated for that weakness with extraordinary magical and psychic abilities that supersede his companions.

Others have already gone into detail on how Shin's personality could have been improved. Me? I would like to have kept his enigmatic persona with the agency of someone on a grand mission but who isn't concerned with the sacrifices so long as the greater objectives are achieved. You can kind of see this pragmatism in Shin when he tries to stop Goku from battling Vegeta who just so happened to be slaughtering civilians at the tournament stadium.

Shin also needed to play a more important role in padding out the story elements for Goku (should have been Gohan, I think) to ultimately defeat Buu. Maybe Shin believes that as it's the responsibility of the Saiyans for having released the monster they could be the ones to fight. Shin could have been involved somehow in the final battle directly after having fused with Kibito and used his enhanced magical abilities to fight Buu.